Title of the document

Bad axe saws

Tmize

On 9/28/2020 at 11:56 AM, Tmize said:

Yes I got the update about his wife in a email. They posted on their site an added 4 weeks to all the estimated times. 

My son just lost his 37 yo wife of 2 months unexpectedly. Be gentle. It’s only a saw. Sorry, it just kind of hit home. 

1 hour ago, Coop said:

My son just lost his 37 yo wife of 2 months unexpectedly. Be gentle. It’s only a saw. Sorry, it just kind of hit home. 

I’m sorry if the comment come off brute that wasn’t my line of thinking. I don’t want to imagine that kind of pain an loss they are going thru. You are correct it is just a saw I was just relaying a change in shipping status. 

21 hours ago, Tmize said:

No it just goes to show that you must be careful what an how you say something.

I learned that lesson decades back.  I guy I was working for and was always fun on the job was suddenly being a real sour puss and I finally made the comment to another worker that he has been in such a crapy mood lately you would think his dad died or something.  I found out the next day, that is what had happened.  I felt like a jerk for a long time.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

It came in the mail today. This is a big saw I’ve got a couple 12” saw so I didn’t think much about going to a 14”. Man this thing is huge holding it against my LN. I do have to say that it is very nimble for its size. With the few cuts I’ve made with it so far the extra length really helps it want to cut straight. Now cutting plumb is taking so getting use to the weight helps it fly thru the cut but the smallest grip pressure throws it off vertically. Luckily it’s to the waste side for me. The horns on the handle fit perfectly to my hand. The handle is thinner than me LN but the hump an middle of the handle fair bit wider than the LN tenon saw. It’s very comfortable in the hand I think that is what makes it so responsive in the cut. Now this is the sharpest saw I have ever cut with so smooth you can’t even tell it’s cutting before you know it. 08D303A0-7D0E-4AD7-AD23-F82E2744C176.thumb.jpeg.8ae75598a2f48f81a7af827b70c925cb.jpeg23A2C31A-9591-43F9-8F08-E90F80D84BC1.thumb.jpeg.412ad40b15905097fc29ece555a04961.jpeg9AEB2D00-2D0E-426C-BCDB-CDE7FA7879E2.thumb.jpeg.6809e17b683050a12bd527eed2c5c743.jpeg

The saw to the right of the BA is a LN tenon saw 10ppi 12” beast of a saw. The BA dwarfs it in size an weight. So far I’m very happy only regret is not doing the walnut upgraded handle?. More work to do with this saw to come. 

• Like 4

So I’ve just about cut up ever piece of scrap in my shop the past few days. Also I rehabbed the two saws I got off eBay to compare the BA against. One saw is 12” saw I filed it my normal rip configuration 5 degree of rake an 5 degree of fleam an 13ppi. The second saw is 14” filed true crosscut 15 degree rake 20 degree of fleam 12ppi. The Bad axe is 14” filed hybrid by their site is 10 degree of rake an 17 degree of fleam. 

So far I can say for sure the BA is the smoothest starting saw I have ever used in rip or cross cutting. Speed of cut is also very close to to the same performance as the saw set up to do the operation. 

In the rip test I chose a 2” wide piece of red oak with a base line at 1 1/2” deep cut. The BA did this in 5 strokes. The rip saw did it in 5 strokes also. The crosscut was 9 strokes respectively. All left a nice cheek surface on the board. 

The crosscut test I went with a 4” wide 3/4 thick piece of soft maple. The BA did good smooth start very easy to stay on the line. The surface left behind was much better than the rip tooth at about the same speed of cut. The crosscut left the best end grain surface an the fastest but not by much if any. 

I post some pics later. So what are my thoughts the BA holds it on in every way. Where it really shines is the smoothness of starting the cut. The saw requires a very little touch almost effortless it glides thru like it is on rails. What that does mean for the user I honestly think anyone will be able to start on a line with ease. The hardest part or learning curve with hand sawing is getting a saw to start an cut to your line. This saw will almost do that on its own.

Now is the hybrid pattern the best results for every type cut well no. Now if I hadn’t done it right next to a saw set up for the task I don’t think I could tell any difference. I would recommend this saw to anyone including a sawing newbie. So much worth the wait. 

PS

If anyone knows how he gets a saw sharpened to cut so effortlessly an still cut super fast I wanna know!!!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Tmize said:

So I’ve just about cut up ever piece of scrap in my shop the past few days. Also I rehabbed the two saws I got off eBay to compare the BA against. One saw is 12” saw I filed it my normal rip configuration 5 degree of rake an 5 degree of fleam an 13ppi. The second saw is 14” filed true crosscut 15 degree rake 20 degree of fleam 12ppi. The Bad axe is 14” filed hybrid by their site is 10 degree of rake an 17 degree of fleam. 

So far I can say for sure the BA is the smoothest starting saw I have ever used in rip or cross cutting. Speed of cut is also very close to to the same performance as the saw set up to do the operation. 

In the rip test I chose a 2” wide piece of red oak with a base line at 1 1/2” deep cut. The BA did this in 5 strokes. The rip saw did it in 5 strokes also. The crosscut was 9 strokes respectively. All left a nice cheek surface on the board. 

The crosscut test I went with a 4” wide 3/4 thick piece of soft maple. The BA did good smooth start very easy to stay on the line. The surface left behind was much better than the rip tooth at about the same speed of cut. The crosscut left the best end grain surface an the fastest but not by much if any. 

I post some pics later. So what are my thoughts the BA holds it on in every way. Where it really shines is the smoothness of starting the cut. The saw requires a very little touch almost effortless it glides thru like it is on rails. What that does mean for the user I honestly think anyone will be able to start on a line with ease. The hardest part or learning curve with hand sawing is getting a saw to start an cut to your line. This saw will almost do that on its own.

Now is the hybrid pattern the best results for every type cut well no. Now if I hadn’t done it right next to a saw set up for the task I don’t think I could tell any difference. I would recommend this saw to anyone including a sawing newbie. So much worth the wait. 

PS

If anyone knows how he gets a saw sharpened to cut so effortlessly an still cut super fast I wanna know!!!!

Great experiment! One thing you forget to mention is battery life?

• Haha 1