Title of the document

Bad axe saws

Tmize

So I put down the down payment on the bad axe 14” bayonet saw. I needed a good crosscut joinery saw. I went looking for a LN but they all sold out at all the places I know that sell them. I went with the hybrid tooth pattern instead of just crosscut figured I would give it a shot I can always refile it. 

I think it can be a combination of both.  People are/were stuck at so they are doing more things around the house, AND the people that make this stuff are also stuck at home.  My Grandson and his girl friend where looking for some decent mountain bikes last month and couldn't find anything anywhere.  They finally gave up.  Then there was just an article in the paper last week about a lot of exercise gear being in the same boat.  People are home wanting to do things to exercise so they are wiping out inventories and nothing new is being manufactured because of the stay at home thing for workers that make the stuff.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

15 minutes ago, Chet said:

I think it can be a combination of both.  People are/were stuck at so they are doing more things around the house, AND the people that make this stuff are also stuck at home.  My Grandson and his girl friend where looking for some decent mountain bikes last month and couldn't find anything anywhere.  They finally gave up.  Then there was just an article in the paper last week about a lot of exercise gear being in the same boat.  People are home wanting to do things to exercise so they are wiping out inventories and nothing new is being manufactured because of the stay at home thing for workers that make the stuff.

That’s exactly what it is LN has it post all over their website. The backlog at bad axe is normal since they build saws one at a time an don’t start til they get the deposit first. 

Chet I’ve heard the same about them. Shannon Rodger brags a lot about them. A few other YouTuber say they are best filers in the business. I’m looking forward to seeing what a perfectly sharpen saw cuts like. All I have to go off is my sharpen from the factory Veritas sharpening. I know my sharpening is a lil better than theirs but there is a bias to that?. I’ve done a version of BA hybrid tooth on my 7tpi handsaw I use an like it cuts smooth. I don’t know if I could do it on a smaller tooth tho

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Bad Axe makes a really nice saw.  I was looking at the LN DT and carcass saws and decided to keep using my Veritas for the time being due to the back order and I like how the Veritas fits in my hand.  I do like the looks of the saws Brian Noel makes at Bearkat Wood.

I love my LN dovetail saw an if it wasn’t for the back order that is what I would have gotten. 

I got a email from them today. They want to know the type of joints I would be cutting with saw an types of wood I normally use. So they could customize the tooth geometry to match the work I would doing with it. That is awesome service right there. I’ll be surprised at what they come up with. Hopefully they will share that info so I could try a mimic it myself or I may just send it back to them for resharpening depending on the wait time. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Bad Axe makes a really nice saw.  I was looking at the LN DT and carcass saws and decided to keep using my Veritas for the time being due to the back order and I like how the Veritas fits in my hand.  I do like the looks of the saws Brian Noel makes at Bearkat Wood.

The biggest difference with saws I’m figuring out is the hang angle. You want a lower hang angle if you are cutting at bench top height. But for sawing in a vise such as tenon shoulders or dovetails a higher hang angle is better. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You know what? I have absolutely no idea what all you fellas are talking about? BAD Axe sounded like something that you used then decided it was for the bin since i didn't perform. Then all this other technical jargon has just gone straight over my head. whoooooosh...hmmmmm loook at that I C blue sky...

But I do know what a sore is...i mean saw. But hang angle...erm....ahhhh..... The only hang angle I can think of is the angle of the dangle. But I'm pretty sure its not that.

?

Sounds like its expensive and awesome whatever it is. . . .

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/22/2020 at 5:29 PM, Tmize said:

My patience is wearing thin waiting on this thing coming up  on my 12 weeks mark I can not wait

Yea, and I imagine the longer you wait the crappier your other saws are becoming. ☹️  Don't worry Christmas will be here soon.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

You are correct sir. I’ve be cross cutting several tenon shoulders lately. An I keep staring at my Veritas crosscut an say to it you will be replaced so soon. 

That’s not funny about Christmas it better be hear way sooner than then. I’m still trying to decide what I’m getting for Christmas this year. Either LN #62 or Veritas skew rabbet plane or LN #4. 

• Like 1

Yes I got the update about his wife in a email. They posted on their site an added 4 weeks to all the estimated times. The question is do I want to go ahead a have them get started on another saw for with these kind of delays?. I just don’t know what I would get. I love both my LN dovetail an big tenon saws ( I got the old style 10tpi 3 1/2” plate). The hard decision in life?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well I got the email today the saw is finished and will ship out Tuesday. My patience had wore thin the last few days. I started ebay shopping for more saw to refurbish to kill the time well now it is here. So guess I’ll put the eBay finds up on a shelf for awhile as I give the BA an good test run

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Well I got the email today the saw is finished and will ship out Tuesday. My patience had wore thin the last few days. I started ebay shopping for more saw to refurbish to kill the time well now it is here. So guess I’ll put the eBay finds up on a shelf for awhile as I give the BA an good test run

Looking forward to the review!  I don't personally own one but, they're pretty nice from what I hear!