Title of the document

My Office Desk, Finally

40 minutes ago, Kev said:

On horizontal surfaces, I look for a milky blue tinge to it. That’s a heavy coat but should be ready to block out in just a few hours. 

I spray much lighter on vertical surfaces. 

a little practice and getting to know the new toys and it will become pretty obvious. 

From the sounds of it I am spraying probably what your vertical spray is. I have not got the milky blue look or even anything close for the table top. Although, I guess you can never go wrong with lighter coats, it will just take longer ... but could really screw it up with too heavy a coat from runs. 

So far this Fuji is amazing! I have loved using it today for this. I thought it would be harder, but surprisingly very easy to use ... Now to just dial it in for the horizontal vs vertical. I think I am kinda close though, overall happy though with it. 

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I know a guy there that can send you a box. That would make us both criminals.  Lol

Federal criminals at that because it would be a crime across state lines... Go Big or Go Home. ?

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

7 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Here is what it normally looks like after a coat at the moment .. Shiny, but not the milky blue tint to it ... 2135740001_PhotoJul1814839PM.thumb.jpg.a6059cc1a6a51e2db1a31cc3ef18b9f9.jpg

Bottom right looks a little heavy to me. Did it dry up ok? Yeah, I prefer multiple light coats vs a med to heavy. As fast as it dries, why take a chance. 

16 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Here is what it normally looks like after a coat at the moment .. Shiny, but not the milky blue tint to it ... 2135740001_PhotoJul1814839PM.thumb.jpg.a6059cc1a6a51e2db1a31cc3ef18b9f9.jpg

On a horizontal surface, you can get away with a heavier coat.  

well here it is installed and in use ... still need to build the drawer, but I am thinking I can get to that this weekend now that I will have the bushing I need to do the dovetails.

For now though, here is where it stands ..

140605008_PhotoJul1882643PM.thumb.jpg.79f6074b92e7d2155bfefbd0379f3f28.jpg

65264837_PhotoJul1882650PM.thumb.jpg.c1cd4aede93802d8f8cb654de7b638aa.jpg

work laptop, home computer, home laptop ... fit nicely on here 

1733679810_PhotoJul1952725PM.thumb.jpg.93b511a11e1358e2d13a7d5615effa90.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks guys! Really happy so far with it! Now if I can just get some dovetail drawers made without turning too much wood into scrap, we should be good ? haha '

Also, while I was at woodcraft, I was walking through their wood section ... would something besides a walnut front be a better look? I was thinking maybe a birdseye maple front or something like that?

OR would just sticking with the solid walnut all over be better?

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks guys! Really happy so far with it! Now if I can just get some dovetail drawers made without turning too much wood into scrap, we should be good ? haha '

Also, while I was at woodcraft, I was walking through their wood section ... would something besides a walnut front be a better look? I was thinking maybe a birdseye maple front or something like that?

OR would just sticking with the solid walnut all over be better?

No wrong answer as it’s personal preference. If it were mine, I would stick with walnut but, maybe, try to find some with some crotch figure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

No wrong answer as it’s personal preference. If it were mine, I would stick with walnut but, maybe, try to find some with some crotch figure. 

I will take a look around and see what I can find .. Worst case I go with what I have now, a walnut front. Then later on down the road, built a different one if I want a change. 

On 7/17/2020 at 6:38 PM, Kev said:

I'm a Neanderthal and go for it..  Always a little to clean up but, it's not bad..

I always think about the other options and why I forgot about them just before I pour ?

The first pour from a fresh gallon is always a little messy! If you go quick it’s only a little mess! ?

That turned out great! How does it feel to sit at? Everything you expected? 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Very well done! I too vote for the walnut drawer front. 

thanks! Yes, I am leaning toward walnut as well just to keep it 'simple' looking and not get too crazy

11 hours ago, Jamie said:

The first pour from a fresh gallon is always a little messy! If you go quick it’s only a little mess! ?

That turned out great! How does it feel to sit at? Everything you expected? 

LOL! 'a little' ? 

Thanks! I am working at right now since I am back to work and it is great so far! Solid and doesnt wiggle! Nice room for the 3 computers I have on it and overall opened up the room quite a bit and doesnt feel cluttered anymore. 

after some troubles and a quick visit from the brother in law ... I have the DT drawer made.

1551450945_PhotoJul2435108PM.thumb.jpg.73052614a53a748f4687b0b085defa83.jpg

2137018776_PhotoJul2513205PM.thumb.jpg.6d95660f4c012e334c2486a1807fddb2.jpg

The drawer is really good and pretty much without gaps, the DT are a little proud in the pic which is good so I can sand flush. 

Now, what I was unsure of was does this need a face board overtop of what is there? I am assuming so to completely hide the drawer guides when looking at the front of it when pushed in. Just first time with an actual nice drawer so not sure what people normally do ?

• Like 1

Apply about a 3/8” thick piece to the front cut 1/2” longer than the drawer face. It would hide the drawers slides I assume side mount slides? If you grain match the walnut piece you have on there now. It will look like a overlay half blind dovetail. 

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
14 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I think you should be fine sending through the planer, just send through 1 after the other touching end to end, however you could make a sled.  Will obviously take more time using blue tape/ca or double sided tape.

This worked just fine sending 2 boards through. Also found the page in the manual ... 12” minimum. I was right at that haha. 

After getting all the boards glued up for the mud room bench I had the rest of the afternoon to work on this ... 

got my finger hook drawn out thanks to a gallon can  

E649B6D2-73AB-4A2D-B172-1FEDC83B5D00.thumb.jpeg.ff3aa5beb7adbc61ef8533d71b60168a.jpeg

quick cutout with a jigsaw 

0D51F894-19B7-427F-B294-1AB7881905DC.thumb.jpeg.965c2cb9f338579fc7ee654910e943eb.jpeg

the round over profile ... I think it should work 

37E77C24-8676-4294-B7F4-A44E369BA2BB.thumb.jpeg.a80dea4104c25f1707a14362aad50aba.jpeg

glued up with 2 screws in the back side too ... 

8C5A767D-A738-42E3-965E-5A2688C218FB.thumb.jpeg.d55d1ee52130e7247b55e4767b30ffa6.jpeg

next time I think I’ll make the drawer out of one color with the face frame different haha. 

here’s the drawer first put together ... don’t ask me how long it took to figure out the base goes in from the side and not the back due to the way the DTs fit ... I will lie like a dog and say i got it right the first time ?

C348EB11-E268-494C-9D1F-669DEBA8603E.thumb.jpeg.3fd4c0260ee7f1b396c6337ef099daa6.jpeg

• Like 1

I normally make my drawer side 3/8-1/2” depending on the use of the drawer. Like the large drawer on a chest of drawer I will do like 5/8”. Most smaller drawer I’ve been doing closer to 3/8”. With the face at 3/4-7/8” thick for the half blind dt