Title of the document

My Office Desk, Finally

The rest of the update is here ... lots of hand sanding today. Rounded over the leg parts and I think they actually turned out pretty neat looking. The original kept 1 side square, but I figured why not just go for it and I was happy with the results! 

1726343370_PhotoJul16101326AM.thumb.jpg.1dd2aa09b10074ccaf86677df8ff03fc.jpg421507036_PhotoJul16101351AM.thumb.jpg.2c01e399a9ff5c3e4ae3383e8491c5c6.jpg

1771126660_PhotoJul1681027PM.thumb.jpg.9ee4c257f857a7727c9b557f4e3d921d.jpg1180250678_PhotoJul1681011PM.thumb.jpg.d4505d97fae4530d23cd7dd7076bee6c.jpg

The last thing I need to do besides more sanding / drawer box / finish .. I need to cut the 3 apron pieces at 5* tomorrow, but my angle gauge broke a few months back and never replaced it. So need to go pick one of those up in the morning. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is everything still dry fit at this time? How will the drawer ride in it’s enclosure? Will the drawer have a false front on it? Right now we are seeing the end grain on the drawer sides. 

Yes still dry fit until I get the 5* cut on those 3 pieces. Drawer I’m not sure yet .. either soft close slides or I’ll put a base on it and have the drawer ride on that. 

5 hours ago, Coop said:

Is the drawer already cut to final? 

No. Have not started on the drawer yet... planning on doing that today after I get my angle cuts done. 

also @Kev what is your finishing technique again? Wipe on first coat of ARS then spay X amount of times. Diluting each spray? Then sanding with 400 between coats? It’s been awhile since I read your post on that in the old forums. 

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

also @Kev what is your finishing technique again? Wipe on first coat of ARS then spay X amount of times. Diluting each spray? Then sanding with 400 between coats? It’s been awhile since I read your post on that in the old forums. 

Kind of...

I do a wipe on (ARS) first.  From there, I spray GF High Performance.  I lay down coats until the piece has the desired look I want.  Sometimes that 2 or 3 coats and sometimes it's 5 or 6 coats..  

I do note dilute. 

Yes, I block with 400 very lightly between coats just to knock off the nibs..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

Kind of...

I do a wipe on (ARS) first.  From there, I spray GF High Performance.  I lay down coats until the piece has the desired look I want.  Sometimes that 2 or 3 coats and sometimes it's 5 or 6 coats..  

I do note dilute. 

Yes, I block with 400 very lightly between coats just to knock off the nibs..

Thanks!! 
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/hp-polyurethane-top-coat-satin-quart

that? 

what do you use to make sure all the dust from the 400 is off before next spray? Just wipe down with cut up tshirts?

That’s the stuff..

The sanding is so light that there isn’t too much on the surface. I usually just wipe with a clean cloth. You could vacuum if you have a soft head attachment but, the cloth usually works for me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Thanks!! 
https://www.woodcraft.com/products/hp-polyurethane-top-coat-satin-quart

that? 

what do you use to make sure all the dust from the 400 is off before next spray? Just wipe down with cut up tshirts?

Drew, if this is going to be your choice of top coat to spray get the gallon it will save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

After my final pre-finish sanding I vacuum everything, between coats I do like Kev and wipe it down with a clean cloth.  I have a stack of small micro fiber towels and just to be anal about it I use a clean towel between each coat.  When the job is done, I through them all in the washing machine and they are ready to go for the next time.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 hours ago, Kev said:

That’s the stuff..

The sanding is so light that there isn’t too much on the surface. I usually just wipe with a clean cloth. You could vacuum if you have a soft head attachment but, the cloth usually works for me. 

ok sounds good, thanks Kev! 

2 hours ago, Chet said:

Drew, if this is going to be your choice of top coat to spray get the gallon it will save you quite a bit of money in the long run.

After my final pre-finish sanding I vacuum everything, between coats I do like Kev and wipe it down with a clean cloth.  I have a stack of small micro fiber towels and just to be anal about it I use a clean towel between each coat.  When the job is done, I through them all in the washing machine and they are ready to go for the next time.

It might as well be for now as I dont know any better and from what Kev produces in those finishes, if I can get anywhere near that I will be very happy! I did go with the Gallon of it as I have a few other projects coming quick so it will get some use for sure. 

LOL! that is pretty anal their Chet ? not saying that thought may not cross my mind in the future though haha  ...

Ok, so now a dumb question of the day ?  ... 

How do yall go about getting it out of the gallon into the spray cup without making a massive mess. Assuming yall are pouring into a smaller, but bigger container than the cup then pouring into the cup or what? 

58 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

ok sounds good, thanks Kev! 

It might as well be for now as I dont know any better and from what Kev produces in those finishes, if I can get anywhere near that I will be very happy! I did go with the Gallon of it as I have a few other projects coming quick so it will get some use for sure. 

LOL! that is pretty anal their Chet ? not saying that thought may not cross my mind in the future though haha  ...

Ok, so now a dumb question of the day ?  ... 

How do yall go about getting it out of the gallon into the spray cup without making a massive mess. Assuming yall are pouring into a smaller, but bigger container than the cup then pouring into the cup or what? 

Go to HF and buy some cheap funnels and strainers.  Pour thru the funnel into something like a quart plastic cup, then pour that thru the strainer into your spray cup.  

• Like 1

I always pour through a paint strainer into the cup.  When the gallon is full I have an inexpensive soup ladle that I use.  With the water borne finishes its easy enough to clean.   After the gallon is down about a third you can start pouring it from the can.

Just as a side note Kev uses General Finishes High Performance, I've gone from High Performance to using their EnduroVar.  I like the bit of amber tone you get with it. 

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

3 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I'm a Neanderthal and go for it..  Always a little to clean up but, it's not bad..

I always think about the other options and why I forgot about them just before I pour ?

• Like 2

well got a good amount of work done today ... 

started off with those 5* rips on the 3 pieces ... 

2134846177_PhotoJul17102316AM.thumb.jpg.4308d76e9e56021255371db79142fdd5.jpg

1628694413_PhotoJul17103135AM.thumb.jpg.d11df978375fe323a796a9d06a1cc70e.jpg

After that, cut the drawer parts out ... going to be 3 sides maple and front walnut, dovetailed together. everything seems to be fitting well. I decided on the soft close slides for this . 

551047526_PhotoJul17111229AM.thumb.jpg.d52c50b5091168cebcdb3d343ea2b19c.jpg

Went to cut out the dovetails on the leigh jig, and come to find out I dont have a 7/16 bushing for the router ... sooooo I ordered one and wont be here until Monday or so. so I said screw it, I want to use this desk this week while I am at home. Got it all cleaned up, even used my microfiber cloth to grab some extra dust ?

1850856724_PhotoJul1760756PM.thumb.jpg.1bddc37de4fec649b106fc948a51d825.jpg

A fun quick look at whats its gonna be ... 

1050832912_PhotoJul1745732PM.thumb.jpg.58b9d3014c5bfab73831014e89d76fd8.jpg

Then garage prepped, and first coat of ARS applied. Will start spraying tomorrow. Tonight will be full of Fuji videos on how not to screw all this up ?

2128147425_PhotoJul1765601PM.thumb.jpg.3e7191618ccd9189d90ef064c74459f6.jpg

565956340_PhotoJul1765604PM.thumb.jpg.81ae83e405fb4f4cd98dcfa21115163d.jpg

• Like 1

Also, a fun little trick I learned on cleaning up glue in really tiny spots ... 

I use these brushes, I bought a couple hundred for really cheap at HF. So these little angle corners were a pain, so I grabbed an extra brush and ran it down the edges. 

1472719864_PhotoJul17104852AM.thumb.jpg.ed690919df351a3e6c41020702049d35.jpg

got the majority of it out and was happy with it. then I would just wipe the bristles off with my damp rag and do the next corner 

2035164116_PhotoJul17104903AM.thumb.jpg.875be60d422718194ad5a2b9ffe0369b.jpg

Just thought I would share in case someone out there struggles with the tight corners too.

Photo Jul 17, 10 49 00 AM.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I did some research and it seems that the funnel was invented about 20 years before the wheel. ?

Looking real good BW! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

Plastic straws cut at a slight angle work really well for getting squeezout out of tight spots..  I usually keep one or 2 around and just clip off a fresh end until they're too short to use..

Yea, me too.

6 hours ago, Kev said:

You live in California though, aren't they illegal?  You rebel you ?

20 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Time for an anonymous call to the authorities ?

Here is how it went down.  2014 I joined WTO and one of the first things I learned from there was the straw technique from Steve (Woodwerks)  There was a party store going out of business near me and I went over and bought about 150 straws... so my straws pre-date the law by 5 years.  

But on a further note the law isn't much of a law and basically states that sit down restaurants can only give out straws at the request of the customer.  This doesn't include fast food places or things like Starbucks. 

And it is really simple, when I run out of straws I will just run over to the closest party store in Montana and buy more.?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Chet said:

Here is how it went down.  2014 I joined WTO and one of the first things I learned from there was the straw technique from Steve (Woodwerks)  There was a party store going out of business near me and I went over and bought about 150 straws... so my straws pre-date the law by 5 years.  

But on a further note the law isn't much of a law and basically states that sit down restaurants can only give out straws at the request of the customer.  This doesn't include fast food places or things like Starbucks. 

And it is really simple, when I run out of straws I will just run over to the closest party store in Montana and buy more.?

I know a guy there that can send you a box. That would make us both criminals.  Lol

Starting I spray now ... just put on first coat and it was amazing. Like 2 mins and done.  Took about 15-20 mins last night by rag. 

on the spray ... how do I know if I am outing enough on? I have the fluid control low but when I spray it, it looks wet for maybe 30 seconds o a min and then it’s pretty much dry to the touch. Is that about right in yalls experience ? 

Ah forgot to also ask ... how long do y’all give  I between coats? 

31 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Starting I spray now ... just put on first coat and it was amazing. Like 2 mins and done.  Took about 15-20 mins last night by rag. 

on the spray ... how do I know if I am outing enough on? I have the fluid control low but when I spray it, it looks wet for maybe 30 seconds o a min and then it’s pretty much dry to the touch. Is that about right in yalls experience ? 

Ah forgot to also ask ... how long do y’all give  I between coats? 

On horizontal surfaces, I look for a milky blue tinge to it. That’s a heavy coat but should be ready to block out in just a few hours. 

I spray much lighter on vertical surfaces. 

a little practice and getting to know the new toys and it will become pretty obvious. 

• Like 1