Title of the document

My Office Desk, Finally

It has been a long time coming, but I think I found the desk I am wanting to build .. or at least the overall look. I was looking for something simple, touch of modern and doesnt weigh 1000 pounds ...

1592611163_Insp1.JPG.d13e47b99f23d4d7158c3faf718d0206.JPG

Artifox_Desk-02_Walnut_Gallery_05.thumb.jpg.563331204c43c0d9d9ef4341c0b44727.jpg

Artifox_Desk-02_Feature_02_840x.thumb.jpg.0811f80be0a992d020f80a877640d1e9.jpg

Credit for the design goes here: https://theartifox.com/collections/desk/products/desk-02-walnut 

However, I dont have $1500 for a desk ? I like overall appearance, looks to be maybe 8/4 legs and a 6/4 or 5/4 top keeping the look simplistic. I know this isnt most of yalls cup of tea, so blame Kev for letting me run wild and post these ridiculous things ? 

I wish I could purchase their "Grid" piece for wire management, as that seems like a good idea, but I will try and come up with something on my own or it will just be a regular board going across the back for the support. Might try to test out designing/building my own type of cable management support piece, but not sure what that would look like yet. 

No off to CAD to work on coming up with dimensions ... the site lists L 52" x W 26" X H 30” ... which seem to be a decent fit for the room, might have to teak slightly though .. 

Hoping tonight/tomorrow morning get the CAD worked out, then pick up the walnut tomorrow as well to let it start acclimating. Then possibly finish up on my shop cabinet doors in the meantime. Then start working through the legs on here as the angles could get tricky and want to spend some time making sure I dont mess those up.

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I know this isnt most of yalls cup of tea,

First of all you need to build what you like and want not what we like. ?

I is a nice clean and simple design that looks like it could have some challenges to it.

Would something like this work for wire management.

standupdeskstore.com/cord-management-60-inch

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

32 minutes ago, Chet said:

First of all you need to build what you like and want not what we like. ?

I is a nice clean and simple design that looks like it could have some challenges to it.

Would something like this work for wire management.

standupdeskstore.com/cord-management-60-inch

hah! Yes, these angles, although only maybe like 5* or so, scare me ?. Got to tinker with how I am going to do the cross piece that will connect the front and back legs. They are going to be but at an angle, so going to have to I guess run that piece through the table saw at the same angle on 1 side so everything sits flush. At least this is what I am thinking of on how to solve it for now  ... I have always wanted to try it though so it should be interesting! 

Overall, going to be about 20BF 8/4 and then about 2-3 BF 4/4, but will have to buy 10BF as that is about as small of pieces as my lumber yard sells. I guess there are worse things than having extra walnut laying around.

Last price check I had at my local shop, before covid, is running about $300 for above materials. 

I don't know if you subscribe to Fine Woodworking but Tim Rousseau did a video series on a Danish Modern Desk that has a similar design to it.  It might be worth checking out if you can, could give you some ideas.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/videoworkshop/2019/07/danish-modern-desk-with-tim-rousseau

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I like the design!  I'm not a fan of how they "I think" attached the top and I do think it needs a drawer but, it looks simple enough to build.

If you're still struggling after the link @chet sent you, let me know and I'll see if I can help maybe with a video..

4 hours ago, Chet said:

I don't know if you subscribe to Fine Woodworking but Tim Rousseau did a video series on a Danish Modern Desk that has a similar design to it.  It might be worth checking out if you can, could give you some ideas.

https://www.finewoodworking.com/videoworkshop/2019/07/danish-modern-desk-with-tim-rousseau

Thanks! I will be checking this out in the morning and hopefully clears it up. 

3 hours ago, Tmize said:

I like the design. Are you going to add a drawer anywhere just for pens an small office supplies

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I like the design!  I'm not a fan of how they "I think" attached the top and I do think it needs a drawer but, it looks simple enough to build.

If you're still struggling after the link @chet sent you, let me know and I'll see if I can help maybe with a video..

The drawer was one of the tweaks I was thinking about ... just not sure how big or where to put it.

So far my leading thoughts were a smaller one on the outside of the legs, maybe 4" thick or a 3 or 4" thick one running across the mid section. maybe 18-24" wide 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jamie said:

Looking forward to this build! Like the overall design, I agree that a drawer would be nice. Could maybe combo a drawer back support and cord management into the same piece. 

Ya, still trying to figure that part out ... Was also even toying with the idea of putting it on top of the desk in the corner ... but just not sure I want something that wont be removable up there. still got a few days before I have to make that decision though

9 hours ago, Coop said:

I like the design. Will the legs be turned or as shown in the pic? 

what do you mean? turned where/how?

Jens-Quistgaard-Danish-Modern-Flip-Top-Teak-Desk-by-Jens-Quistgaard-for-Peter-L-vig-Nielsen-342982-1242154.thumb.jpg.75960b869b7f8c71666d0d0ffcdf2f1b.jpg

As for the top drawer, a not so good example ... but like maybe just that right drawer and that is it tucked away in the corner ... Not sure if that would look too crazy with just one and then would need another to offset it on the other side, but that is whats going through my head IF I go with a top one. Other than that, I am still working on finding a spot underneath. 

• Like 1

This morning I got to feel like @Kev with all this walnut ... minus that fact the dealer didnt give it to me for pennies on the dollar or crazy figured pieces either ... other than that though its basically the same, right? ? 

102BF of walnut ( 48 BF 8/4 and 54 BF 4/4) 

10BF of poplar

Not all of this is going into the desk build, I do have a top to a bench seating area I want to build out as well, so figured while I was there, why not haha .

Photo Jul 13, 12 44 04 PM.jpg

• Like 5

It was almost right at $700 plus tax ... 8/4 = $7.20 BF and 4/4 = $6.25 BF. I had not bought any lumber from there since Covd shut downs started, so I was pleasantly surprised it was so cheap all things considered. I was expecting $9-10 range. It is quite the hit to the ol wallet, but then I divide by 2 and know I am getting 2 projects out it and completed 1 'honey-do', plus I will still have plenty of extra left over for something down the road .. made it a little easier to swallow. 

Rough cut the wood and ready for milling ... 

1841805689_PhotoJul1324444PM.thumb.jpg.7c271110bae2b6723c359ef850852efc.jpg

Bought one of those rickler 4" 90 dust ports just to help with the connection and making it easier, worked as well as I hoped so I am happy with that.

466712116_PhotoJul1340327PM.thumb.jpg.bff55b80d38a08886f8648b5cd6762a3.jpg

1725219381_PhotoJul1344006PM.thumb.jpg.31ae0a05a85decd7110f26db126786ca.jpg

1733081585_PhotoJul1371751PM.thumb.jpg.c2e08651d7597b24b58dd5a765673d29.jpg

Laying boards out to get an idea of the look after milling, there is some actually very nice figure in a couple, especially around the one with the big knot. Going to fill them all with this quick cure stuff from woodcraft ... honestly, paying $40 for this little box hurt me more than the wood haha. 

Up next ... I am hoping to finish milling them tomorrow. I left the top at around 1 3/4 heavy and will run it through a quick session and hopefully end up around 1 1/2 heavy or so for the top/legs. Then on to laying out the legs and mathing out some legs ... Hoping it goes well tomorrow with the layouts on the legs! 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tmize said:

Yea that’s great prices. It’s amazing what we will pay for wood. That will be a nice looking desk I’m looking forward to the build. I haven’t done anything with splay yet so I’m paying attention to your method. 

Hah! dont pay attention to closely .. dont want to give you any bad habits ?

9 hours ago, Jamie said:

I like how your grain patterns match up on the top. It’s neat how you make the knot a feature piece. 

Hoping it works out, might have poured too much epoxy for the first round in there and its kinda ugly. Will see what I can do. 

8 hours ago, Coop said:

BW, don’t you live in the Dallas area? Those prices almost make it inviting to make the trip and back! 

Yes I do  ... Central Hardwoods is the dealer, however the one bad thing is they dont let you pick your own lumber. You order and they go get it. 

I like the look of the legs being wider. From the original picture it looks like the legs on it go out even farther.  Not sure if its more angle than 5 degrees or they are spaced out wider.  Going of that print....I think having the legs go all the way to the top would be a stronger joint.