Title of the document

Sketchup Quesion

Kev

I'm hoping someone here is way better with Sketchup than I am!

For starters, I'm running a very (and I mean very) old version of Sketchup that is not on the cloud.  It's always worked well for me but, a recent update of my operating system is causing an error that I can't seem to fix.  Whenever I add dimensions, it's flipping them upside down making it very difficult to read.

image.png.0728dfc9fe4a6b17372d63e48e3582a1.png

I've tried everything I know how to do to flip the text over without luck.  

So, it would seem the obvious is just update the program right?  Maybe..  If I want to run the free version, one of the drawbacks is "limited export options".  I need to do some research to see exactly what those limitations are but it looks like the usual 2D option I use to export is only available in the pro version.  The pro version is $300 a year on a subscription which really isn't acceptable for what little I do.

Hoping some of you "smarter than I people" can offer some insight??

This is kind of the same problem I was having about 7 months back only sort of in reverse.  I started having assorts of weird things happen.  Features that were working when I went to different websites stopped working.  I would down load pictures from my phone and the computer would say it was the wrong format, and other things of this nature.  After some conversations on the Apple forum it seemed that my 12 year old computer was passed its prime.  When I replaced it, all was well with the world again.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 minutes ago, Chet said:

This is kind of the same problem I was having about 7 months back only sort of in reverse.  I started having assorts of weird things happen.  Features that were working when I went to different websites stopped working.  I would down load pictures from my phone and the computer would say it was the wrong format, and other things of this nature.  After some conversations on the Apple forum it seemed that my 12 year old computer was passed its prime.  When I replaced it, all was well with the world again.

Completely understand and I know my version of Sketchup is way out of date.  My issue is $300.00 a year to get me one option in the software that I need.  That's a tough pill to swallow!  And, of course, if I download the new free version, my old version will be lost on this machine.

Now, I do still have my old Mac so, worst case, I might have to go back to that one for doing designs..

5 minutes ago, Kev said:

Now, I do still have my old Mac so, worst case, I might have to go back to that one for doing designs..

Yeah, I have an old laptop that I keep around to do one thing and one thing only, but it does it really well.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I didn’t like the free cloud version so when I use Sketchup, I use the version on my old computer.  Now my issue with that is I really can’t pull stuff from the 3D Warehouse, but usually my use is basic.  You may want to look into Fusion 360, but since you distribute your plans not sure if you can get the free version.  Worth looking into, but is having to learn a new program worth the time and effort, I abandoned because I’m not doing that many plans.

18 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I didn’t like the free cloud version so when I use Sketchup, I use the version on my old computer.  Now my issue with that is I really can’t pull stuff from the 3D Warehouse, but usually my use is basic.  You may want to look into Fusion 360, but since you distribute your plans not sure if you can get the free version.  Worth looking into, but is having to learn a new program worth the time and effort, I abandoned because I’m not doing that many plans.

Sounds like about where I'm at..  

I like to make "shop drawings" to keep me on track in the shop.  Plans are produced by a friend of mine in CAD which is what I put out on my site.

I really like Fusion 360!  Just not sure I want to start over as there is a steep learning curve.  Since I don't charge for the plans, I would still meet the criteria for the free version of Fusion 460.

I found the issue when designing this lathe cabinet.  Unfortunately, I had already done all the work when I discovered the issue.  Next up will be to transfer the file to my older computer and see if can add the needed dimensions from there.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Back on this subject..  Sorry...

I'm contemplating some major upgrades in 2024 so, may need to actually check out the free version of Sketchup on line and then see if I need to upgrade.

Has anyone else tried the online version?  Were you able to export to 2D or 3D which is what I need most?  Were you able to open older drawings done and then add to them?

Back in the ‘80’s, the AHJ started requiring drawings of our proposed fire suppression system installations to obtain permits. We bought a used tilt top drafting table but it was a little much for an 8 1/2 x 11” drawing so I found this. It has served me well.

IMG_6025.thumb.jpeg.ce6222ba88ef2f6048726d69cdc6bc56.jpeg
IMG_6026.thumb.jpeg.44dc63a30fc5849f8f45041c82159330.jpeg

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Coop said:

Back in the ‘80’s, the AHJ started requiring drawings of our proposed fire suppression system installations to obtain permits. We bought a used tilt top drafting table but it was a little much for an 8 1/2 x 11” drawing so I found this. It has served me well.

IMG_6025.thumb.jpeg.ce6222ba88ef2f6048726d69cdc6bc56.jpeg
IMG_6026.thumb.jpeg.44dc63a30fc5849f8f45041c82159330.jpeg

I once had something similar but it  held up to 11 x 14 sheets.  I can't even think of what happened to it.

I typically copy someone else plans or just go off a picture I like. The latter can bite you in the butt though just had to run to the lumber yard and get another piece of oak for my spectator chairs due to another design change during constriction 🤦‍♂️

On a positive note the I will be able to use the changed parts for other pieces of the build so that's good. If I was getting paid like Kev is sharing on his current project oh my my labor cost would be off by like 12 hours and counting 🤣

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

I typically copy someone else plans or just go off a picture I like. The latter can bite you in the butt though just had to run to the lumber yard and get another piece of oak for my spectator chairs due to another design change during constriction 🤦‍♂️

On a positive note the I will be able to use the changed parts for other pieces of the build so that's good. If I was getting paid like Kev is sharing on his current project oh my my labor cost would be off by like 12 hours and counting 🤣

I really only create drawings for shop use..  I don't usually include joinery because there's just too many ways it can be done.  Many times, I don't know exactly what I'm going to do until I get there.

Today is a prime example..  I could have easily broke out the domino for the legs on the trestle table but, I wanted to do it a little more traditional.  Plus, I think the traditional M&T was a stronger option for that particular joint.  I reserve the right to break out the domino on the upper rails though since that will simply be the faster option with no real down side.

• Like 1