Title of the document

Classic roubo workbench

Tmize

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

I’m asking around at work this week an see if anyone has a 10 1/4” skil saw.

If not, you could probably rent one from a tool rental.  It's pretty common for them to have the ones that are used for cutting glue lam beams.  For the time you would need it, it shouldn't cost to much.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Progress photo 442948F6-F494-419E-86D0-2EB1F33D9C8F.thumb.jpeg.b28cceba4b42ff780a1f3f9836299c85.jpegLaying out for the mortise into top now. I should finish it tonight. I’ve had a screwed work schedule the past few days. Had to shutdowns back to back so alternating from days to nights will screw with you. It’s coming along tho. Once I get the legs in the top I’ll lay out the top rail that will screw to the top. I’m doing a 1”(d)x5”(w)x1 1/2”(w) mortise for the leg to go into. I’m hogging most of it out with the router

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I found a saw big enough to cut my bench top in one pass. 16” blade

One of those tools that one needs once in a blue moon but, worth it's weight in gold when you need it!  I wish I had one!

38 minutes ago, Kev said:

One of those tools that one needs once in a blue moon but, worth it's weight in gold when you need it!  I wish I had one!

I’m borrowing it from a guy at work. He said he bought it at yard sale for $20. If I hadn’t found one I had a plan on how to use my chainsaw. 

41 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

That should work!  Your making great progress at a fast clip.

It’s coming along good I would probably have it all glued up by now if wasn’t for work this week. Hoping to to get the base planed an cleaned up an possibly have it glued an pegged this week. Then it’s just the vice an flatten the top left. 

Question I’m  thinking of glueing the base up upside down with the tenons in the top. My thoughts on this is if I end up out of square any I won’t have to then fight the two together later. Does anyone see a problem in my thinking. Or should I glue the base up separate then sit the top down on the base

4 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I’m borrowing it from a guy at work. He said he bought it at yard sale for $20. If I hadn’t found one I had a plan on how to use my chainsaw. 

Question I’m  thinking of glueing the base up upside down with the tenons in the top. My thoughts on this is if I end up out of square any I won’t have to then fight the two together later. Does anyone see a problem in my thinking. Or should I glue the base up separate then sit the top down on the base

Nice you could borrow one!  Pretty sure you could also rent one for a day..

On the glue up, why glue?  Assuming you're going to drive some lags in, there's no need for glue.  The tenons simply help keep things from sliding and the lags hold it down..  

12 minutes ago, Kev said:

On the glue up, why glue?

I think he is talking about when he glues up the base itself.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Tmize said:

Chet is correct the top is not glued down. I still have only dry fitted the base. Would it be beneficial to do my glue up of the base freestanding or attached to the top. Does this make better sense?

It does..  However, I wouldn't have located the mortises in the top until the base was glued up.  One less thing that could change.

2 minutes ago, Tmize said:

Well to late for that now ?

If the dry fit all pulls together good, I'd glue up the base with the top in place.  If the dry fit doesn't come together as you want, I'd glue up the base and then tweak to fit the top.

If it doesn't fit nicely, at least it's on the underside where the only one that will know is you and it won't really matter..

• 2 weeks later...

Well it’s been a week or so since I’ve done anything with the bench.  Work has been slammed and not lifting up til the holiday weekend I’ll be all by myself the kids an wife are off to visit her sister for the weekend.  I did get my bench crafted criss cross finely.  So when I get back started on it I’ll be able to finish it. All I’ve got left is draw bore the base install the vise an surface the top

• Like 1

So you should have it wrapped up this weekend!  I'm further behind, this weekend I cut 20 tenons and chopped out 16 mortises.  I glued up the short rails and legs today.  Hopefully my mistake doesn't set me back.  I put glue in the wrong mortise, didn't realize my error until clamped up, hopefully the glue on the tenon, shoulders and the tight fitting joint hold.

1 hour ago, Tmize said:

Well it’s been a week or so since I’ve done anything with the bench.  Work has been slammed and not lifting up til the holiday weekend I’ll be all by myself the kids an wife are off to visit her sister for the weekend.  I did get my bench crafted criss cross finely.  So when I get back started on it I’ll be able to finish it. All I’ve got left is draw bore the base install the vise an surface the top

Life gets in the way sometimes!  Looking forward to seeing the pictures!

15 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So you should have it wrapped up this weekend!  I'm further behind, this weekend I cut 20 tenons and chopped out 16 mortises.  I glued up the short rails and legs today.  Hopefully my mistake doesn't set me back.  I put glue in the wrong mortise, didn't realize my error until clamped up, hopefully the glue on the tenon, shoulders and the tight fitting joint hold.

Pretty strong joint all on it's own!  I'm sure it will be fine!

8 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

It’s a plenty strong.  If your worried you could peg the joint after the glue set. One thing I learned on this one is my tooling is set up for this big scale joints an piece

563EF2DE-B162-49E6-B71F-CECEAE0D4564.thumb.jpeg.e8d300394d51f4157ecf2c9fd58dabfa.jpegI sharpened up my dowels to help with the draw bore. Turns out a carpenter pencil sharpener works great on 1/2 dowels. 4F067F5F-469A-408D-A203-AE0AFA7C72DC.thumb.jpeg.27e181db4b550371d7984a9fa6352e1f.jpegonce I got it all pegged I set up up on the slab. Had to trim just a fussy on one mortise. It went together well. To be honest if I was to do this again I would use a double shoulder tenon. With just one long shoulder with the drawboring it tried to twist the stretcher an opened up a small gap. No problem tho this thing is solid as rock. 4141BBF3-004E-4BF4-90FD-D0938A0CC73C.thumb.jpeg.5f9f4ad959cfa15965ab805136e747a0.jpegThe beast is standing on its own now  FC02BDDB-75EA-4060-AADE-0131F7C2A78A.thumb.jpeg.00416f4a93f7379796b5809903267897.jpeg

• Like 4