Title of the document

Classic roubo workbench

Tmize

Well the talk is over about beginning the work bench. I placed the order with my lumber guy last week. I going after work Tuesday to pick it up. Originally the plan was hard maple for the top. For some reason the price has gone up a lot. So I went with soft maple instead. The base will be popular. I got 12/4 for the legs an 8/4 for the rails an stretcher. Let the chaos begin. 

• Like 3

I spent most of the day today making room for all the lumber today. I’ve kinda fell behind on the plan to have the shop ready for the last remodel of the shop in waiting on time an funds to build this thing. 

3 minutes ago, Tmize said:

So I went with soft maple instead.

I heard an argument a while back about making your work bench out of hard maple.  What the person was saying was that you don't really want your bench top made out of a real hard species and his thinking was that if you drop your work piece on the bench, your bench top will be okay but you work piece may get a dent.  Where as if you use a softer species the bench suffers the dent but your work piece survives.  Just a different opinion.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

4 minutes ago, Chet said:

I heard an argument a while back about making your work bench out of hard maple.  What the person was saying was that you don't really want your bench top made out of a real hard species and his thinking was that if you drop your work piece on the bench, your bench top will be okay but you work piece may get a dent.  Where as if you use a softer species the bench suffers the dent but your work piece survives.  Just a different opinion.

I was torn I’ve heard the same argument to.  That is kinda of my thought to. I’m not disappointed at all with going soft maple. That an the nightmare of surfacing it by hand ?. I mostly do all my projects in either soft maple,walnut or popular so I’m right along the same hardness as them. I almost went with popular for the top to but with no frame work under it to support the top. An popular was kinda low on the stiffness chart so I bumped up to maple 

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

The first Roubo on the new forum. ?

What’s a woodworking forum without a roubo build??

I think you'll be fine with the soft maple!  To be completely honest, I've done them in both hard and soft and don't really notice any difference working on them.  I also think you could have gotten away with poplar or alder but, they are even softer and more prone to the denting.  Structurally, those 2 species more than likely would have been find..

As for the first bench on the new forums...  I'm going to have to race home and get one built quick ?

Congrats on getting the project rolling!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Tmize said:

I believe there is a new bench in that pile plus a couple more upcoming projects. 

7E101153-4F2C-4A80-B41B-8503645F49A0.jpeg

It always amazes me seeing a pile like that, realizing how much work is ahead, and enjoying the finished project when you go back and look at this first picture!  Enjoy the journey!

• Like 2

I don't want to rush you but I saw a guy build a Roubo in a week, actually I think it was 6 days.?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

I don't want to rush you but I saw a guy build a Roubo in a week, actually I think it was 6 days.?

Was actually just shy of 4 days and I have the gray hair and wrinkles to show for it.. ?

That ain’t going to happen guys. I got baby girls 3 yr old birthday party this weekend. I’ll do good to get it broke down an possible milled some of it. 

18 minutes ago, Chet said:

You know I vaguely remember that to??

6 minutes ago, Kev said:

Was actually just shy of 4 days and I have the gray hair and wrinkles to show for it.. ?

Don’t feel bad about the grays, I’m catching you everyday! With this no hair salons open here till recently the grey on my head really showed up!  I don’t believe they come from woodworking as much as living with 3 women causes them. (4 women if you count the dog)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Jamie said:

Don’t feel bad about the grays, I’m catching you everyday! With this no hair salons open here till recently the grey on my head really showed up!  I don’t believe they come from woodworking as much as living with 3 women causes them. (4 women if you count the dog)

Poor guy. At least my house is equal sides

• Like 1