Title of the document

Track Saw Track Rack

Chet

Bryan's recent "A week in the shop" post motivated me to do something I have been thinking of for a year or so.  I have been storing my tracks on a rafter in the shop which required the garage door to be closed and a ladder to retrieve them when needed.  I have always thought about making something to mount on the garage door so they would be easier to get at.  Pretty simple design,  I put cork on one side to create a friction fit so they don't slide out when the door is opening.  Also, It is a minor stretch but I can reach them with the door open.

First picture is a side view of the bracket. 

IMG_1987.thumb.jpg.61357bf0636579e9a015e43e186e6014.jpg

Mounted on the door.

IMG_1990.thumb.jpg.24e86b88a668da75c17679d0b3e9f9c5.jpg

Door in the open position.

IMG_1991.thumb.jpg.aefe631280dfbac383c0f1d14680f924.jpg

• Like 5

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

16 minutes ago, Kev said:

if you guys will allow me to use your pictures?

You can use them if you like I have no problem with it.

Kind of hard to stop you anyway they are here on a public domain. :classic_laugh:

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

My design is kind of a lazy version of something Paul Marcel did about ten years ago.

I'm sure that I'll ask for new pictures just to be sure that the pictures are the ones you guys want used.  Some close up shots of your designs would be helpful as well.  I'll probably end up doing some plans for my final version but, will share that with you guys here first.  I'll also share the final video here before it's public as well.

For the record, I would never use your pictures here on a video without your permission.  For that matter, I don't think I've ever used anything I've even pulled off of Google or any other site..  I understand that you put them here in a semi-public format but, wrong is wrong..

1 hour ago, Kev said:

For the record, I would never use your pictures here on a video without your permission.

My second comment about public domain was strictly tongue in cheek.

Interesting point - After I hung these racks and was satisfied with everything, I took them back down and sprayed them with one coat of rattle can poly and let that dry over night.  Today I put them back up and went to put the tracks back in place and they wouldn't slide with out more force then I want to use.  So I grabbed one of my rasps and removed all the finish that is on the surfaces where the track touches and now everything is good again.

3 hours ago, Chet said:

Interesting point - After I hung these racks and was satisfied with everything, I took them back down and sprayed them with one coat of rattle can poly and let that dry over night.  Today I put them back up and went to put the tracks back in place and they wouldn't slide with out more force then I want to use.  So I grabbed one of my rasps and removed all the finish that is on the surfaces where the track touches and now everything is good again.

lol - that's interesting!  Although mine won't be on the garage door, it's something I'll try and remember to talk about in the video..

I am wondering now if I had put down a couple of more coats it might have been okay.  I am pretty sure that the problem was the foam strips on the back of the track gripping on the finish.  It was only the back portion of the rack where the track foam was against the plywood.  The other section of the rack was Sapele and had a smoother feel to it.

40 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Really has me thinking on what I could mount to my door!

I used  to have a neighbor that had all his fishing poles on his garage door.  Just saying Jamie.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Chet said:

I used  to have a neighbor that had all his fishing poles on his garage door.  Just saying Jamie.

They are tucked away in the 18’ floating tackle box, well most of them. Keep the new ones hidden in there from Courtney, last place she will ever look! 

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Just give some thought to the weight and the power of your opener..  

It really is an untapped chunk of wall space!

Great point! That is a thought that crossed my mind. Really need to find a good home for my clamps, wall space is really at a premium the way I have the shop set up. 

16 minutes ago, Jamie said:

wall space is really at a premium the way I have the shop set up. 

Mine too bud. Can’t begin to tell you what color my walls are. Oh yes I can, as I still have the original 18 yo paint can somewhere! ?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jamie said:

Great point! That is a thought that crossed my mind. Really need to find a good home for my clamps, wall space is really at a premium the way I have the shop set up. 

Regardless of what you do, clamps chew up space!  There's really only a couple ideas that I haven't seen tried.

• Storing horizontally and flat
  • Storing on a "carousel"

Both ideas have their pros and cons

• Like 1