Title of the document

TS Dust Collection

Coop

The dust collection port on my ts is located on the back side at the bottom and does an incredibly poor job. Dust collection at other machines work well so I know that suction is not a problem. It seems that all of the dust in the ts builds at the front and I guess is due to the rotation of the blade. I was thinking of adding a port on the bottom, near the front. Does anyone have something similar and has it improved the performance? 

42 minutes ago, Coop said:

The dust collection port on my ts is located on the back side at the bottom and does an incredibly poor job. Dust collection at other machines work well so I know that suction is not a problem. It seems that all of the dust in the ts builds at the front and I guess is due to the rotation of the blade. I was thinking of adding a port on the bottom, near the front. Does anyone have something similar and has it improved the performance? 

For what it's worth, mine builds up inside as well and my port is in the same location as yours.  Now, I do find that I only need to clean mine out once or twice a year depending on how much shop time I get.

I would venture to guess that you go thru many more bf of cuts than I do and I probably clean mine out every other month. Depending on the complexity of the accessibility, I may give it a try. However, I bet it will just create a tunnel in the area around the outlet and not make a significant difference. 

• Like 1

I think there are a couple of things that make some table saws more efficient then others and it may be things that the more recent models have and the price level of the table saw may also dictate whether the saw comes with the feature.

On my saw there is a shroud, circled in red in the picture, around my saw blade that is connected directly to the dust port via a hose, red arrows.

IMG_0951.thumb.JPG.cf786c174e669b33b9394e7bead7b828.JPG

As you can see though, I too get dust in the bottom of my saw and generally it seems to collect in the upper right hand corner, that's about a years worth showing.   Some of this is self inflicted by being lazy and not turning on the dust collection for a single, small cut and there are times I just flat forget to turn the DC on.  When I trim just an edge on a work piece then there is dust all over the table top.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Thanks guys. I obviously have no evidence to substantiate this but I would guess that current system collects less than 10% of the dust whereas the dc system collects 95% or better on my ds, bs and jointer. Kev and Chet, do your chutes rise and fall with the blade height or is it permanently affixed to the bottom? 
I’m wondering too if some sort of compressed air injection would keep the dust suspended more to let the dc system do a better job? 

24 minutes ago, Coop said:

Thanks guys. I obviously have no evidence to substantiate this but I would guess that current system collects less than 10% of the dust whereas the dc system collects 95% or better on my ds, bs and jointer. Kev and Chet, do your chutes rise and fall with the blade height or is it permanently affixed to the bottom? 
I’m wondering too if some sort of compressed air injection would keep the dust suspended more to let the dc system do a better job? 

Mine rises and lowers with the blade height.  I suspect @Chet's is the same but will let him chime in to be sure..

• Like 1

Yes mine does too.  I suspect that the shroud is attached to the trunnion because It also tilts with the blade.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus