Title of the document

SW Exercise Bench

So 2 weeks ago my Doctor face times me reading me the riot act about letting my health slip.  He told me to eat better (hard part, picky eater) and start working out.  I knew this but, I was feeling off so I have decided to start working out again.  So this led to my problem and solution.  I went looking for an exercise bench for when lifting weights (Dumbbells).  With nothing available locally and ones I found online either not available or ridiculously priced, I set out to build my own.  

So I wanted to clean up the shop a bit and get rid of small pieces of wood, so I made the Scrap Wood Exercise Bench.  I did a couple different designs in Sketchup and finally settled on the 1 I eventually used as a model.  Did the entire build on Sunday and since I used wood I had on hand, the total cost was about $4.00 in screws.  Considering everything was scrap, I'm satisfied with the build.  I had 2 mistakes, the first was the 4 long stretchers were cut to short, but not a big deal.  The second was my lamination of the plywood top, not sure if I didn't use enough glue or removed from the clamps to early, but 1 corner separated.  2 screws from the bottom fixed.

Today I sanded the entire bench, now I need to decide whether to paint it or just put into use.  I'm leaning towards painting just the base with some dark grey paint I have left over.  What are your thoughts?

Exercise Bench Photo 3.jpg

Exercise Bench Photo 2.jpg

Exercise  Bench Photo 1.jpg

• Like 3

Nice use of the resources at hand.  

I think I would finish the top along with everything else.  Sweat and moisture will eventually cause some problems with the ply.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

8 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Good thinking about the sweat.  

Well, hopefully there will be sweat. ?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 8:03 PM, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Thanks.  If I turn the flab into muscle I won't need any stinking padding!

The first time I went whitewing dove hunting in South Texas, it was a melt your barrel and turn your shoulder into mince meat shoot. The second morning before the hunt, I went to Walgreens and bought a needle and thread and sewed a motel towel to the shoulder of my hunting vest. It actually looked like a Kotex but I didn’t care and I got accused of the same. The third afternoon hunt, all of my hunting buddies had done the same thing. Get you some pink padding Bryan and enjoy your workout!  ?

• Haha 3