Title of the document

Hcm

Tmize

So I bought a  rikon hollow chisel mortiser last week now I’m waiting for it to be delivered. I’m covered up in yard work lately so haven’t made it down to the shop to figure out some things placement wise. So how much outfeed support do I need with this machine. I’m sure if I was doing bed rails that is another story. I do a fair mount of frame an panel construction. I finally got tired of pounding out mortises. 

I’m in the middle of a ever evolving shop remodel now 

9 minutes ago, Tmize said:

ever evolving

Two real important words to keep in mind regarding the shop.

I don't know if you ordered the same model as Kev but there is a review he did of his in the review section.  I don't recall if he covered out feed.  On thing to remember is that if you need out feed support, you need it on both sides.  You want to be able to slide your work to the other end to do the other mortise like in a frame and panel.  If you flip you work end for end you can end up not having the two mortises centered and even if it is off by just a few thou, by the time you do this at four corners you can end up with a pretty wonky frame and panel.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I didn't really cover indeed/outfeed in the review as I really didn't know with that machine what I'd need.  I've only done one project with it (Blanket Chest) and didn't have any need for extra support on that project.  The bed is fairly wide and the clamp holds pretty well!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chet said:

Two real important words to keep in mind regarding the shop.

I don't know if you ordered the same model as Kev but there is a review he did of his in the review section.  I don't recall if he covered out feed.  On thing to remember is that if you need out feed support, you need it on both sides.  You want to be able to slide your work to the other end to do the other mortise like in a frame and panel.  If you flip you work end for end you can end up not having the two mortises centered and even if it is off by just a few thou, by the time you do this at four corners you can end up with a pretty wonky frame and panel.

That is a good point on always reference from the same side against the fence

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I finally got it in today got it dialed in. The assembly went good instructions were very easy to follow. Adjustments for just about anything you could think of. Definitely the easiest/quietest  mortise I’ve ever made. 

58762049-A181-47CC-935B-BFE69E20A800.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks it been a long time coming. The next few projects have quite a few m&t joinery in it so this thing will get a work out. To bad my lil side keep me busy project is all dovetails. So it will have to sit a minute 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Kev said:

Awesome!

I thought you'd like that table!

The x,y table is the main reason I bought it. It takes all the fiddling out of the equation. You clamp the piece down one time an can work the whole mortise. Playing with it last night the only part I wasn’t impressed by was the depth stop. It’s don’t a big deal tho it doesn’t effect the joint one bit of the bottom of the mortise is deeper or not flat. 

2 hours ago, Tmize said:

It’s don’t a big deal tho it doesn’t effect the joint one bit of the bottom of the mortise is deeper or not flat. 

Yea, when you stop and think about it you fit the tenon to the mortise anyway.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

9 hours ago, Tmize said:

Playing with it last night the only part I wasn’t impressed by was the depth stop. It’s don’t a big deal tho it doesn’t effect the joint one bit of the bottom of the mortise is deeper or not flat. 

Agreed..  I need to look a little closer at the stop..  I think it can be modified to be a bit better..  

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

It did 1/4”,5/16”,3/8”,1/2”

I love this thing. I never was any good with router. I did the hand chopping that works loud an slow. Then started drilling them out an paring works good an accurate. The hcm is unbelievable the x&y table to me makes it worth every penny. Just lock it an cut as many mortise the exact same spacing. The only thing I may add to it is I’m thinking of adding a piece of leather to the hold down on the table. If you don’t tighten it down real tight it will slip some on deep tenons. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tmize said:

It did 1/4”,5/16”,3/8”,1/2”

I love this thing. I never was any good with router. I did the hand chopping that works loud an slow. Then started drilling them out an paring works good an accurate. The hcm is unbelievable the x&y table to me makes it worth every penny. Just lock it an cut as many mortise the exact same spacing. The only thing I may add to it is I’m thinking of adding a piece of leather to the hold down on the table. If you don’t tighten it down real tight it will slip some on deep tenons. 

Awesome! How about the depth stop? Can’t seem to find any info about it. 
Also than you for your answer....in no description did it say if it came with them or not. 

2 hours ago, Jamie said:

Awesome! How about the depth stop? Can’t seem to find any info about it. 
Also than you for your answer....in no description did it say if it came with them or not. 

It has a depth stop but it sucks. I mean it will get you close but don’t expect it for a true depth stop. It has about 1/8” of play in it

32 minutes ago, Tmize said:

It has a depth stop but it sucks. I mean it will get you close but don’t expect it for a true depth stop. It has about 1/8” of play in it

I see what you are saying with the depth stop. Went to rikons website and read the manual. Coulda saved a lot of questions if I went there first! I do like the machine and basically have it down to the rikon or the baileigh. The rikon comes with a full set of chisels vs 1 with the baileigh. Plus can get free shipping on the rikon. Amazon has the best deal on the rikon for $404 any concerns buying it from amazon vs say acme tools?

A little late but in my opinion a mortise machine without a moving table is a case in frustration. I owned two a Jet and a Powermatic both frustrated me to the point that they were sold. I then took a class at the MASW and used the Powermatic with the moving table and found it to be a game changer, I now have one in my shop. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, pkinneb said:

A little late but in my opinion a mortise machine without a moving table is a case in frustration. I owned two a Jet and a Powermatic both frustrated me to the point that they were sold. I then took a class at the MASW and used the Powermatic with the moving table and found it to be a game changer, I now have one in my shop. 

100% agree!