Title of the document

Small but effective work bench

Blairswoodshop

Looks great!

Is that Southern Yellow Pine?

I see that you have bench dogs in there but, don't see the corresponding holes in the vise jaws?  Just curious.

I'm also curious how much travel you have in the tail vise?

Yes sir, it is SYP. I didn't actually put holes in the vise but now that you mention it I might! There are a couple of accessories I still need to get like the dog hole horizontal clamps, which will work good with the bench dogs.

The tail is just a plane stop so no vise function at all. I may try to add something later possibly. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2022 at 5:19 AM, Kev said:

Looks great!

Is that Southern Yellow Pine?

I see that you have bench dogs in there but, don't see the corresponding holes in the vise jaws?  Just curious.

I'm also curious how much travel you have in the tail vise?

Kev, to show my …… “lack of knowledge “ what are the benefits of having the holes in the vise jaws? To be used with stops and not bench dogs? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Kev, to show my …… “lack of knowledge “ what are the benefits of having the holes in the vise jaws? To be used with stops and not bench dogs? 

They correspond to the ones in the bench so that you can squeeze material flat on the bench between them.  I use this method often when sanding!  Keeps things from moving around.  More traditionally, great way to hold material while hand planing.

• Like 2

I'm actually building one of these kinda right now.  Mine is slightly different when it will be done is also anyone's guess.  I'm hoping to have a wagon vise on the end since I really only plane right to left so I'm just gonna put 1 plane stop in.  Thanks for the inspiration to stop doing homework and get into the garage!

Also, do I see both sides of the vice padded?  I thought you were only supposed to do 1 side so your workpiece doesn't slip through the jaws?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, theduke said:

I'm actually building one of these kinda right now.  Mine is slightly different when it will be done is also anyone's guess.  I'm hoping to have a wagon vise on the end since I really only plane right to left so I'm just gonna put 1 plane stop in.  Thanks for the inspiration to stop doing homework and get into the garage!

Also, do I see both sides of the vice padded?  I thought you were only supposed to do 1 side so your workpiece doesn't slip through the jaws?

Most do both sides..  I have one bench where they fell off completely and I never replaced them.  Vise works fine.