Title of the document

Powermatic Story

Chet

Marc had an instagram post about smoke coming out of his 12 inch jointer.  It looks like the started capacitor was kaput.  He contacted Powermatic and they don't sell just the capacitor they want him to replace the whole motor for $1800😲 ... OH and it is on back order for 90 -120 days.😲😲A motor unavailable seems weird and not willing to sell just the capacitor also weird.  He ordered the capacitor from Amazon, $20 bucks.  Story to be continued. 

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Another “once great” company.  When looking at bandsaws I checked out powermatic.  The Laguna next to it was better built, had more features, and was 20% less.  I’d happily pay more for a better product.  It seems the only thing left from their glory days is the paint color.

Looking forward to seeing the rest of this story as it sounds terribly familiar!  My issues with PM are well documented here and in video so, I won't rehash old news.  I'd hate for this to happen to anyone but, at least in this case it's someone who I know is financially solvent enough to take care of the issue easily and has a big enough following to get the word out about their customer service.

I do wish Marc the best of luck resolving the issue with PM..  Not that he reads here...lol

14 hours ago, Coop said:

Chet, do you have a link to this? I would love to see it! 

He posted it on instagram so you would need to set up an instagram account to see it Coop.  Then you would just need to "Follow" Marc to see the post.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Lastest post from Marc.  I appears that the two $20 capacitors from Amazon fixed what Powermatic said would take $1800 dollars to fix.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Chet said:

He posted it on instagram so you would need to set up an instagram account to see it Coop.  Then you would just need to "Follow" Marc to see the post.

Guess I’ll have to wait till it hits ABC or NBC! 😳

It is very disappointing to hear all these issues with pm.  I have a 66 saw that I absolutely love and haven’t had an issue. Knock on wood. 

Is there a company out there that would be a go to for quality without seriously ripping open the wallet? Is Harvey it? I know felder has been around a long time but they come with a price, also don’t see many ever hit the used market. 

10 hours ago, Jamie said:

It is very disappointing to hear all these issues with pm.  I have a 66 saw that I absolutely love and haven’t had an issue. Knock on wood. 

Is there a company out there that would be a go to for quality without seriously ripping open the wallet? Is Harvey it? I know felder has been around a long time but they come with a price, also don’t see many ever hit the used market. 

I think the older PM stuff is great!  Unfortunately their customer service has really gone down hill.

The SS is a really nice saw but I've not heard much about their customer service.  Perhaps that's because they haven't had too many issues?

If I were replacing my saw today, it would be with a Harvey.

• Like 2

I have called SS support twice, both times have been amazing! Sat on the phone with me for about 45 mins one time walking through the issue until we got it worked out.

I have contacted Harvey support once, also stellar in their response and speed.

PM, I have not had to deal with luckily. 

• Like 1

Jamie, I would like to upgrade from my Jet and have considered the Harvey but don’t know of anyone who has actually owned one. Sure wish you would make the leap and inform us! Which model are you eyeballing? 

BW, what Harvey machine do you have? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coop said:

Jamie, I would like to upgrade from my Jet and have considered the Harvey but don’t know of anyone who has actually owned one. Sure wish you would make the leap and inform us! Which model are you eyeballing? 

I have this one Coop ... 

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/products/new-ambassador-c14-3hp-14-band-saw

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coop said:

I've gotten to put my hands on a couple and only for a few cuts.  Fit and finish is great and definitely in league with SS and PM..

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/7/2023 at 12:00 AM, Coop said:

K don’t have any Harvey yet. Considering their bandsaw tho