Title of the document

A gift to help a friend.

Richarda

A friend of mine that lives in Maine is 59 years old and his wife is a cradle robber at 77 years old.  She's physically failing and her mental abilities are failing as well.  He's super concerned that he's soon going to lose his wife, and has been calling me regularly to get me to help him figure out what his next steps are.  With her, and after.  He knows what I've recently gone through, and he's trying to pick my brain to figure out how he's going to deal with his future.  I don't know if I'm any help, but he must be getting something from our talks or he wouldn't call so often.  The fact is he's scared, and for several reasons. The most important, is losing his wife. Secondly Because he's spending so much time trying to keep her alive and well, that his cabinet business is now almost gone. So, financially he's hurting.

I can give him a shoulder, but there's not much else I can offer him.  So, I figured a small gift, for him and his Lady might cheer him up for an hour or two.  So I made these quick.   Walnut, Curly Maple, a small strip of cherry cutting board.  And a set of coasters with stand so he'd have a place to set his beer when it gets tougher on him  Walnut and curly Maple. I hope it helps some.

DSC02699.JPG

DSC02700.JPG

DSC02701.JPG

Edited by Richarda
  • Like 5

Sometimes all the therapy a person needs is someone to talk to and all we need to do is listen.

The cutting board and coasters are a top notch move on your part.

Did you do the juice grove with a router and edge guide?

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

No, I did it on the router table. And you have no idea how many scraps it took to make more scraps, and finally get it the way I wanted it.  After running out of hardwood scraps, I went to the ply scrap pile, and made that smaller. But now, I think I can do the groove fairly accurately.  I was nervious about using an edge guide, as I age, my hands aren't as steady as they use to be.  So the router table with properly placed  stops, made it easy, after cleaning out my scrap pile.  There are two good things about making that.  I got it right, and I have wood for winter's stove.

Edited by Richarda
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, he's got them and was surprised and very pleased, His wife, loved the cutting board and the coasters.  I sent along with them a mallet from the batch I made a few years ago for him.  But, I think Barb confiscated it as a corrective devise, for his head.  

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, Richarda said:

But, I think Barb confiscated it as a corrective devise, for his head. 

My mom used to call those A.A.D.'s  Attitude Adjustment Devise.  Belts, rulers and paddles were all in that tool box. :classic_blink:

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus