Title of the document

Wide tenons for table top breadboard ends

Muttley000

Hi guys, hoping to pick your brains. Need to cut 2” wide tenons on a 36” wide tabletop.  I will leave a 3/8 thick by 3/4 all the way across that fits in a groove for a breadboard end, leaving 3 wider tenon sections to pin it.  I hope that makes sense. Bought a mortising bit for the router and plan to clamp a jig for the bearing to ride on and make the shoulders match.  I tried to set up the dado stack in the table saw but it’s just too big and heavy to do that way.  The only downside I’m thinking of is having to flip that top (7’ long 1 1/4 thick red oak) without unclamping or bumping the jig.  Am I on the wrong track?

4 minutes ago, Muttley000 said:

Hi guys, hoping to pick your brains. Need to cut 2” wide tenons on a 36” wide tabletop.  I will leave a 3/8 thick by 3/4 all the way across that fits in a groove for a breadboard end, leaving 3 wider tenon sections to pin it.  I hope that makes sense. Bought a mortising bit for the router and plan to clamp a jig for the bearing to ride on and make the shoulders match.  I tried to set up the dado stack in the table saw but it’s just too big and heavy to do that way.  The only downside I’m thinking of is having to flip that top (7’ long 1 1/4 thick red oak) without unclamping or bumping the jig.  Am I on the wrong track?

These big pieces can be tricky!  There's a couple things you can do..

1.  Get some help and just establish the shoulder lines at the table saw.  Then complete with the router set up. Set all the shoulder lines first.

2.  Edge guide - Use the edge guide for your router to establish the shoulder lines and then come back and clean out the waste.  Set all the shoulder lines first.

3.  Story Stick - Use them as essentially parallel guides to position your router guide in exactly the same location each time.  Again, establish all the shoulder lines before removing the waste.

I've used all of these methods at some time and they all work.  The router with edge guide is probably the most user friendly option.  Just remember to establish all the shoulders before removing or adjusting the edge guide on the router.

• Thanks 1