Title of the document

Panel Sled

Kev

This week's video is a new panel sled for my shop.  Since I find myself going to this sled way more than my traditional cross cut sled, it would be a good topic for discussion.

Do you have/use a panel sled?  Do you have a preference?

image.thumb.jpeg.79f2b17a6b5a17898c3e240e0a97633a.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I use a panel sled, because I have not ever made a cross cut sled. I have not found a design I like enough spend the money on one and make it. Plus they are big and storage is an issue ...

Panel sleds are fairly good sized as well.  They're just not as limiting as a traditional cross cut sled.

I'll admit, my preconceived thoughts on this topic was that most would be using traditional cross cut sleds.  I was a little surprised by the first answer out of the box!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kev said:

Panel sleds are fairly good sized as well.  They're just not as limiting as a traditional cross cut sled.

I'll admit, my preconceived thoughts on this topic was that most would be using traditional cross cut sleds.  I was a little surprised by the first answer out of the box!

True, they are and mine is … just meant storing 2 big sleds is tough in a smaller shop. 

My ugly beast of a panel sled .. beat up good for sure and still cutting square 

B05CCAB6-CC9B-4B32-90A1-41A4C616747D.thumb.jpeg.b01dde865a355ec6f39adebf2d78d2e0.jpeg

• Like 1

I have the Incra 5000 which is pretty much a panel sled.  I have a cross cut sled but haven't dusted it off since getting the 5000.  The 5000 has the fence that extends to almost 60 inches, I think, which can be adjusted the same as a miter gauge for angled cuts.  The 5000 also has the fall off sled that sits on the other side of the blade which is something that would be easy to make for your shop made panel sleds.  

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

Neat video Kev. I think I have asked this before but what is the difference in a panel sled and a cross cut sled. Also, what is the advantage of a panel sled over a cross cut sled other than: 1) less bulk and weight. 2) a tad more depth from back of board to the blade.

I don’t know that I would build one of these now that I have a cross cut sled but would definitely build one in lieu of if I didn’t already have a sled. I say that now but as I get older, I may reconsider. 😁

9 minutes ago, Coop said:

Neat video Kev. I think I have asked this before but what is the difference in a panel sled and a cross cut sled. Also, what is the advantage of a panel sled over a cross cut sled other than: 1) less bulk and weight. 2) a tad more depth from back of board to the blade.

I don’t know that I would build one of these now that I have a cross cut sled but would definitely build one in lieu of if I didn’t already have a sled. I say that now but as I get older, I may reconsider. 😁

The differences are huge @Coop

1.  Because there's no back fence, the width of the piece you're cutting is only limited by what you can fit on the saw.

2.  The benefit is really the lack of limits on the size of the cross cuts.  Being lighter and easier to store are also there but, not as important.

Obviously, I have both sleds and I like them both.  However, in my work flow I find myself reaching more for the panel sled rather than the cross cut sled because it's easier.  It's lighter, has more capacity, easier to store, easier to set up, and now has a stop block for repeatable cuts.

If I were starting completely over and know what I know now, I wouldn't build a crosscut sled.  I'd build a panel sled..

14 minutes ago, Coop said:

Assuming you meant that there is no front fence,I agree on all points. In fact, I retract my initial statement and will be building one as my next project, regardless of the price of bb. 

BB has gotten crazy on price for sure but, there's other alternatives as well.