Title of the document

Picture Frames

Coop

A long term employee before I sold my company and good friend, is an amateur photographer, shooting pics of the Grand Canyon, Big Bend, etc. He asked me to make some pic frames from walnut to show his stuff in an upcoming exhibit. There will be 1 ea. 33”x45”, 4 ea. 29”x38” and 8 ea. 19”x25” frames. He was hell bent that they be 1” thick so we bought 2 pieces of 10” wide by 8’ long, 5/4 walnut. After buying the 5/4 and getting it home, I finally convinced him that the final depth should be no greater than 3/4” on the two smaller sizes so, a bunch of walnut chips to be expected. After carefully laying out some dimensions, I find that these two boards are only a little more than half of what I need.

11D2242E-3703-4C4E-99E8-6DFDCEED64CE.thumb.jpeg.227959453d1c1ea1bc1ac3a8bba0ce5d.jpeg

• Like 2

Where as you don't want the frame to be the center of attention, especially with photography, with the photos being as large as they are I think one inch will be fine.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

5 hours ago, Coop said:

I was just thinking that 1” might be too thick but maybe I should rethink it? Open for suggestions. 

I think it depends..  Just my opinion as I don't really think there's a right or wrong answer but, it's a personal preference.

As @Chet correctly stated, the frame isn't supposed to be the focal point.  The people in this group tend to use some pretty nice lumber so, that makes it even a little more difficult.  

I also think there's other factors to consider..  Are there other frames on that wall and what's the thickness on them?  Is it a really large wall where a little more "bulk" will look better?  What's the thickness of the glass and matting and does that require a little more thickness?  Does the client fully understand the difference in thickness and have a personal preference one way or the other?

As I stated, I don't think there's a wrong answer.  For what it's worth, many frames are only 1/2"..

• Like 1

The pic being the focal point and I want to keep it that way. I don’ want the frame thickness to look so bulky that it’s overwhelming. The client does want the larger one to be 1” thick so I think I will make that one and let it determine the thickness of the others. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Coop said:

The client does want the larger one to be 1” thick

That makes it easier on you.  It is harder for them to be dis-satisfied with the outcome when it was their preference on the dimensions. 

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus