Title of the document

Which cabinet saw to buy?

Ol Crows Foot

I've been saving for quite some time now and finally have the funds to upgrade from my old craftsman contractor saw which honestly has been a pretty decent saw, but I've always wanted a good cabinet saw for more power precision and stability. I've narrowed down my choices between the powermatic pm 2000b and the harvey hw110s 4hp industrial saw. I've seen all Kevs videos on the nightmare he had with his powermatic and I've read quite a few reviews on their quality not being what it used to be. If you read this Kev after you've gotten your new powermatic and all the problems worked out would you buy it again or do you think Harvey would be a safe choice? I apologize if you guys have talked about this already and I missed it somewhere. I hopefully in a perfect world would like this to be the last table saw I have to by but want to get the best I can and honestly am not interested in sawstop I know that would be the smart choice and hopefully lord willing I never have an accident I just don't like all the technology and computer board on them. I do like the fact harvey has what looks like the biggest top and also the most room in front from edge of table to the blade which may not be a huge deal but my old craftsman had a lot of room in front and I've really liked that for crosscutting. Again what do you guys thinks the best? Thanks for the help

3 minutes ago, Ol Crows Foot said:

I've been saving for quite some time now and finally have the funds to upgrade from my old craftsman contractor saw which honestly has been a pretty decent saw, but I've always wanted a good cabinet saw for more power precision and stability. I've narrowed down my choices between the powermatic pm 2000b and the harvey hw110s 4hp industrial saw. I've seen all Kevs videos on the nightmare he had with his powermatic and I've read quite a few reviews on their quality not being what it used to be. If you read this Kev after you've gotten your new powermatic and all the problems worked out would you buy it again or do you think Harvey would be a safe choice? I apologize if you guys have talked about this already and I missed it somewhere. I hopefully in a perfect world would like this to be the last table saw I have to by but want to get the best I can and honestly am not interested in sawstop I know that would be the smart choice and hopefully lord willing I never have an accident I just don't like all the technology and computer board on them. I do like the fact harvey has what looks like the biggest top and also the most room in front from edge of table to the blade which may not be a huge deal but my old craftsman had a lot of room in front and I've really liked that for crosscutting. Again what do you guys thinks the best? Thanks for the help

I usually read everything here.  Yes, we've talked on this subject quite a bit but, I don't mind going over it for you.

My PM woes were pretty well documented but, that was one of the ways I used to get their attention to correct the issue.  Ultimately, I think contacting their state attorney general is what ultimately got the saw replaced.  Would I buy it again, NOPE!  With that said, since I've gotten all the issues taken care of (many fixed myself), the saw has been great.  I'm pretty sure I got a lemon which happens but, their customer service was horrible!  It took them a year to finally replace the saw.

So, which saw would I get if I were replacing it today?  I've talked about this quite a bit as well.  It would be the Harvey.  SawStop makes a super nice saw but, I don't want the tech.

Oh, one last thing..  PM contacts me once or twice a year and asks me to take down the negative videos I made to get that saw replaced...lol

Thanks so much for the quick response and taking the time to go over that again for me! You just helped me make my desicion to get the harvey. That's sad to hear such a heirloom company to be going in the direction they are with their customer service, lol I bet they are! Hopefully videos and reviews like yours will help them do a better job for future customers, I have a powermatic jointer I purchased not to long ago hoping I never need support the way it sounds! Also I seen your old post about using your affiliates link through Amazon anytime I order there I'll definitely go through that to help you out anyway I can. Thanks again I really appreciate it 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ol Crows Foot said:

Thanks so much for the quick response and taking the time to go over that again for me! You just helped me make my desicion to get the harvey. That's sad to hear such a heirloom company to be going in the direction they are with their customer service, lol I bet they are! Hopefully videos and reviews like yours will help them do a better job for future customers, I have a powermatic jointer I purchased not to long ago hoping I never need support the way it sounds! Also I seen your old post about using your affiliates link through Amazon anytime I order there I'll definitely go through that to help you out anyway I can. Thanks again I really appreciate it 

Thanks!  That's just my story..  I'm sure there's lots out there with more positive stories..

I would 2nd Kev ... 

I own a sawstop, and love it! I bought it because I want to teach my kids when they are old enough to use it so I bought mainly thinking ahead 6-7 years. However, I did buy the Harvey Ambassador bandsaw and that things quality is 2nd to none. If their TS is just like their bandsaw, I have no idea you will love it.

4 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I would 2nd Kev ... 

I own a sawstop, and love it! I bought it because I want to teach my kids when they are old enough to use it so I bought mainly thinking ahead 6-7 years. However, I did buy the Harvey Ambassador bandsaw and that things quality is 2nd to none. If their TS is just like their bandsaw, I have no idea you will love it.

I did get to play with the Harvey at the front end of the year and it is a very nice saw!

Hopefully @Olie will chime in here as I believe he has one.

I would definitely get a sawstop also if I were planning on my kids using it but more then likely just going to be myself using it but the Harvey is sounding better and better, it seems like a really well built saw from what i read and the fence looks really nice as well. thanks guys much appreciated!

I will chime in since I just purchased and assembled the Harvey 4HP dovetail cabinet saw. I’m fairly new to woodworking and don’t have a lot of experience with cabinet saws, but the ones I have used were the Sawstop Industrial cabinet saw, Powermatic PM2000B and the Harvey I just purchased.  I upgraded from a sawstop jobsite saw and it was quite the difference! It took me a long time to decide on a cabinet saw because I was originally set on a Sawstop but I didn’t quite have the budget for one so I started researching other saws. What I was finding is that the Harvey is a quality saw at an excellent price. Not only that, but the accessories that come with it like the miter gauge and other accessories available to add are second to none. I don’t have much time on it but it seems like an excellent saw and just as nice as the other two I mentioned and cuts like butter. The fit and finish is also great and everyone that sees it comments how awesome it looks. I don’t think you will find a better saw for the price and it’s $2k less than the powermatic. They are always on sale and I purchased mine for $2499 (plus shipping). I later saw it down to $2399 and I called Harvey and they refunded the difference. You can’t get a better saw or one with 4HP for that price. 

I can add more later after I get more experience on it but I don’t think you’d be disappointed. 

EC7A07F5-15D7-4386-926A-C7EDC570E9C9.jpeg

D16B5C47-2A60-4EDD-88FA-6C044535598C.jpeg

691CDA9A-FA5F-4B8E-B9BC-830EC03B0BAA.jpeg

Edited by Olie
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Coop said:

Olie, is the top cast or aluminum? If you posted 3 pics, I could only see the last one l 

Top is cast. 44”x31.5”. Not sure what happened with the other pics. I’ll try again 

F0F9949C-D821-4CBE-8B7F-4534D501D5CF.jpeg

58146F0F-54FC-4CE4-AB24-B1E462F62111.jpeg

Hey thanks Olie that's the same saw I'm looking at, I to have been researching for quite awhile now and seems like they all have mixed reviews except the sawstop is pretty much loved by everyone and Harvey has majority good reviews. I also called and emailed powermatic with a few questions and never could get through and they also still haven't replied to my email. A guy answered the first time I called harvey and was very nice to talk to, and they also replied to my email the same day so that's a big plus in there favor. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the 4hp dovetail saw within the next week, I'll be happy to give my thoughts on it whenever I do get it. It looks like a sweet machine. Out of those 3 saws you mentioned which fence did you like best?

3 hours ago, Ol Crows Foot said:

Hey thanks Olie that's the same saw I'm looking at, I to have been researching for quite awhile now and seems like they all have mixed reviews except the sawstop is pretty much loved by everyone and Harvey has majority good reviews. I also called and emailed powermatic with a few questions and never could get through and they also still haven't replied to my email. A guy answered the first time I called harvey and was very nice to talk to, and they also replied to my email the same day so that's a big plus in there favor. I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the 4hp dovetail saw within the next week, I'll be happy to give my thoughts on it whenever I do get it. It looks like a sweet machine. Out of those 3 saws you mentioned which fence did you like best?

It’s hard to say which fence I like best since I don’t have a lot of experience on each. The sawstop one seemed nice but I used that one years ago in a community college class. I liked the powermatic too but not much use either and the Harvey is my first time using a European hi/low fence style and I’ve just done some test cuts. They all have their advantages. I’m not sure yet but a small disadvantage I could see with the Harvey fence is it might not be as ideal for certain fence jigs because the hi fence might get in the way. But, can always change out the fence if I find I don’t like it. 

Tossing my 2 in on the fences..

Of the 3 saws, my favorite fence system was actually on the SawStop.  Just seemed much smoother than my PM and the fence on the Harvey would cause me to rebuild all of my "over the fence" jigs...lol. 

Thanks guys ya I'm still weighing all the pros and cons of each lol, the only true cabinet saw I've ever been around was an old delta unisaw when I was a kid working in my uncles cabinet shop. I'm just wanting accuracy for good joinery and a fence that holds its adjustments well. I'm sure all 3 will be a major step up for me compared to my old craftsman. Soon as work slows down a little I'm going to get the harvey ordered and I'll let you guys know what I think, thanks for the help

• Like 2