Title of the document

Hard Wax Oil Finishes ... might be a dumb question :)

Bushwacked

I am curious ... whats the real difference in hard wax oil finishes from like a Fiddes or Osmo to something a normal person could make in a crock pot? (Think like the oil/wax blends people make for cutting boards and stuff)

Is it just a higher quality oil or wax? different types of wax, maybe not beeswax? 

Just curious as I sit here in day 4 of the ice storm locked in the house with everyone :) 

Good question..

For starters, yes you can make your own and there are some that do.  Especially those that are making and selling cutting boards.  They go so far as to bottle in and send a small amount with their boards when they sell them.

The higher end stuff people are buying like Osmo, Fiddes, and Rubio have a hardener in them so that they do actually cure on the surface.  I believe the Woodwhisperer has a couple really good videos on this subject and has dabbled in making his own as well.  Recommend checking out those videos on his free YouTube.

• Like 3