Title of the document

Flag Display Case

Has anyone here built a display case for a burial flag for a veteran? I have some questions before I think about making 1 versus buying.

1) what is the thickness of the wood sides? Overall dimensions?

2) what finish did you use, has it had any affect on the flag after time has passed?

3) did you use real glass or acrylic?

5 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Has anyone here built a display case for a burial flag for a veteran? I have some questions before I think about making 1 versus buying.

1) what is the thickness of the wood sides? Overall dimensions?

2) what finish did you use, has it had any affect on the flag after time has passed?

3) did you use real glass or acrylic?

I've built a few.  Wish I was at home, I'd just share the plans with you..

From memory, I thickness'd the lumber to about 3/8".

I usually use ARS on these and never had an issue. 

I've used both acrylic and glass.  Both work fine.  If you go the acrylic route, just choose something a little thicker.  Also, not sure if you've priced this stuff lately but, it's gotten crazy with pricing!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I've built a few.  Wish I was at home, I'd just share the plans with you..

From memory, I thickness'd the lumber to about 3/8".

I usually use ARS on these and never had an issue. 

I've used both acrylic and glass.  Both work fine.  If you go the acrylic route, just choose something a little thicker.  Also, not sure if you've priced this stuff lately but, it's gotten crazy with pricing!

Thanks for the reply!  Yeah I have priced out stuff from amazon so I have a rough idea of whether build vs buy makes sense.  I have enough quality lumber, just not the ply for the back and acrylic, so it will heavily factor into the decision. 

964154304_IMG_16502.thumb.jpg.d37bb2f28edade40c8cd9594e2669411.jpg

These three were 1/2 thick material.  The finish was garnet shellac and then High Performance for the top coat.  I used glass, I think it was 3/16" thick. All the joinery was box joints.

• Like 5

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus