Title of the document

Miter saw station build

Thanks everyone for your input on my work bench that I’m building with Kev. Since we have a couple months before we finish it I have a little time to get going on putting together my shop area and specifically my miter saw station. This project has changed so many times, so I’m looking for some advice.

My first plan was to put it along the back wall and I started building some upper cabinets after watching some YT videos. Then I moved it to the left wall and had an idea for an L shaped design with an opening on the back wall for a TV (to watch Kev’s YouTube channel of course!) now that I’m build that bench with Kev I want to put that bench off the back wall with a shallow hand tool cabinet and an open wall to hang tools. 

So that brings me back to the left wall miter saw station. From the left of the window to the right wall is just over 16ft. I had some new ideas to incorporate. The orange thing under the window is a spindle sander and thought about using the hardware Kev has to pull it out and up like he has in his outfeed table. Another new idea I had was to incorporate the Bench top drill press into the lower cabinets to save space. 

Specific questions are:

1. What do you think of the idea of incorporating the drill press into the lower cabinets? Convenient and good design or not ideal and could be a pain if I ever got a floor standing DP? Anything else to consider with that design? 
2. should I bring my cabinets all the way to the wall on the right side of the miter station or stop a couple feet before? My thoughts are to stop it a couple feet before for storage in the back corner for tracks and clamps and not get in the way of anything along the back wall. 

Please let me know if you have any other ideas or critiques. 

oh and don’t mind the mess. I’m new at this and still putting together my shop space! 

E5CDDD9A-1593-4947-AAB9-C61567C4CA3F.jpeg

2 hours ago, Olie said:

Specific questions are:

1. What do you think of the idea of incorporating the drill press into the lower cabinets? Convenient and good design or not ideal and could be a pain if I ever got a floor standing DP? Anything else to consider with that design? 
2. should I bring my cabinets all the way to the wall on the right side of the miter station or stop a couple feet before? My thoughts are to stop it a couple feet before for storage in the back corner for tracks and clamps and not get in the way of anything along the back wall. 

Just thoughts and opinions to your questions.

1.  I would not incorporate a bench top DP.  Things change in a shop as your shop and skills grow.  If you inset it, that's where it lives forever without major bench surgery.  Typically, a miter bench is deep enough to simply set on top and slide forward when you need to use it.  For the record, I'm having the same thoughts with my Hollow Chisel Mortiser on my miter station.  My original thought was to inset it in the bench so I just set it there.  Now (probably a year later)I still haven't made up my mind and am currently leaning towards doing something else with it.

2.  Sometimes corner space is golden!  This would be the same corner that I have my DP in and that seems to work well.  As your clamp collection grows, there may not be enough room in this corner for them but, it might be a great place for now.  

As you plan your shop layout, always take into consideration wanted/expected growth.  In this hobby, it's very easy to outgrow a space you dedicated to something.  This is why so many of us (myself included) have had so many different renditions of our shops.

nice huge open space to work in there! 

Adding on some more thoughts to what Kev said ...

So I am assuming you have done a "walk through a project" type exercise .. basically, start from milling all the way through to putting finish on. Is everything laid out efficiently saving steps/time? I wouldn't build a DP into the cabinets, like Kev said I would place it on top, or build its own little mobile cart you can wheel out when needed.

Also, keep in mind, any sort of decent clamp collection will take up a good amount of room especially if you get some 40"+ clamps. Pipe clamps grow big fast since they are cheap, so it makes sense to have several long ones.

I am already on V3 of my shop in the last 7 years. So like Kev said up there as well was we buy new things and have to change around the space to make it all work better. Outgrowing our spaces is easier than you think.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Agree on the drill press, you have enough space where you could build a separate stand.  I would find a way to have part of the miter saw station to also serve as an outfeed for the bandsaw.  

Good idea for the bandsaw outfeed. Could just extend the miter saw station a bit. The table is about at the height that the counter will be

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

nice huge open space to work in there! 

Adding on some more thoughts to what Kev said ...

So I am assuming you have done a "walk through a project" type exercise .. basically, start from milling all the way through to putting finish on. Is everything laid out efficiently saving steps/time? I wouldn't build a DP into the cabinets, like Kev said I would place it on top, or build its own little mobile cart you can wheel out when needed.

Also, keep in mind, any sort of decent clamp collection will take up a good amount of room especially if you get some 40"+ clamps. Pipe clamps grow big fast since they are cheap, so it makes sense to have several long ones.

I am already on V3 of my shop in the last 7 years. So like Kev said up there as well was we buy new things and have to change around the space to make it all work better. Outgrowing our spaces is easier than you think.

I abandoned the drill press idea. A while ago I found my first ever project that I never finished. Was supposed to be a kitchen island cart for an apartment. The extended left side was going to get legs and a shelf. It’s the perfect height after adding casters. Now to decide whether to cut it off to size of the cabinet or leave it extended and add a left panel and another bank of drawers. 

B93404C4-E007-4E67-82CC-EFDB2111F7C6.jpeg

• Like 1

Here’s my latest design. Would have 100” to the left of the blade and about 68” to the right. I left some room between the right side and the back wall for storage, putting a less used mobile tool, or the drill press on a cart. I also removed the sander from under the bench and added a beer cooler because that’s more important! 

7BA1367E-7762-4562-8818-4DB57A6ADF48.jpeg

• Like 2