Title of the document

Harvey Compass RG-2 Review

Kev

So just watched the video, which was your usually quality, but I don’t see how this is a game changer compared to a normal feather board.  I agree there should be a way to secure to table and not just rely on the user to set up properly.  I don’t know the cost, but to me personally it would be a hard pass no matter the cost.  Why is it called compass anyways?

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

So just watched the video, which was your usually quality, but I don’t see how this is a game changer compared to a normal feather board.  I agree there should be a way to secure to table and not just rely on the user to set up properly.  I don’t know the cost, but to me personally it would be a hard pass no matter the cost.  Why is it called compass anyways?

Spot on!  That's what I was trying to say without being a jerk.  

I'd like to know how it works on the Harvey saw but, I was not impressed on my PM.  At that price point, it was a dissapointment.

No clue on the naming..

The only thing that comes my mind is maybe on a kick back the roller guide would cant in the miter slot which woulds maybe sort of jamb it in place.  But you would think that this would be something worth noting in their information.  Their sales pitch on this kind of reminds me of Woodpecker in the way they want to convince you that you NEED this when you really don't.  There are more affordable solutions out there for the average wallet.

I think they maybe developing "Compass" as their high end accessories brand.

• Like 2

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 4 months later...

More to come on this!

Harvey reached out to me today while I was on the tractor mowing the field but, they did leave me a voice mail.  I called them back and am currently waiting for their return call..  Tag, they're it 🤣

So, I'll report back with the results.  At a minimum, bonus point for their customer service!

Another plus one for Harvey continuing to communicate!

Through this process, I've learned that they did an updated version of the T-Bar to better fit some other machines.  Just to be on the safe side, they're sending me a new T-Bar stock off the shelf as well as the new T-Bar with about 15 thousands milled off of it.

The shipping label was just created so, I should be seeing this in a week or so..  Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

Hey bud, I’m usually aligned with your ideas and purchases but unfortunately I don’t see the value here. With a whole lot less woodworking experience than you have, I may be wrong. 
One, there are very few times that I use a feather board on the ts. Usually on the router table and bs and I can’t recall a video of yours that you used one.

Two, i definitely don’t like the idea that it doesn’t lock down to the top if it was designed to aid in kickback, I would think that to be a major consideration. I guess your usage will tell. 
Three, I can see the added advantage to this tool to be repetitive cutting of exact size strips off of a board without having to cut them against the fence. To do this, I use this devise from Rockler. https://www.rockler.com/thin-rip-tablesaw-jig
Probably the only Harvey tool that I have seen that I wouldn’t buy. Sorry for the negative feedback. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Coop said:

Hey bud, I’m usually aligned with your ideas and purchases but unfortunately I don’t see the value here. With a whole lot less woodworking experience than you have, I may be wrong. 
One, there are very few times that I use a feather board on the ts. Usually on the router table and bs and I can’t recall a video of yours that you used one.

Two, i definitely don’t like the idea that it doesn’t lock down to the top if it was designed to aid in kickback, I would think that to be a major consideration. I guess your usage will tell. 
Three, I can see the added advantage to this tool to be repetitive cutting of exact size strips off of a board without having to cut them against the fence. To do this, I use this devise from Rockler. https://www.rockler.com/thin-rip-tablesaw-jig
Probably the only Harvey tool that I have seen that I wouldn’t buy. Sorry for the negative feedback. 

Very legit observations...  In the end, this is just a high end feather board.  Although, it's adjustable pressure is a nice feature!

I'll talk to your points one at a time..

1.  I should use a feather board much more often than I do.  I have them so, that's on me and I'll try and do better..  This will work on all of my tools, not just the table saw.  It just works off of the T-Track.  As well, they make a smaller version which is probably the one I should have picked up.  For "downward" pressure, I have the Jessem Roller Guides for that so, this wouldn't replace them.  

2.  The follow up video that I just put up addresses that issue and has been corrected.  It's rock solid now and and locks in place.  I intend on using this more.

3.  I actually think this is the wrong device for repetitive cuts as you describe.  Because of the adjustable pressure feature, this would make it nearly impossible to get repetitive thin strips of exactly the same size.  The item you linked would be a far better option.  

And the note you didn't put in, the cost.  Which is also very legit!

In the end, this is a very expensive feather board.  Yes, I think it works a bit better with more bells and whistles but, I don't know that it's worth the price point.  I don't think that it's such a jump in technology to warrant $250.00..  

I bought it to test and review in hopes that I'd love it.  Short story is it didn't work on my saw as advertised, Harvey has killer customer service and fixed the issue, and I still don't think it's worth the asking price.  

Hope that makes sense?

• Like 1

Weird request..

Is everyone getting the audio in the RG-2 video posted above?  I've gotten a couple comments that people can't hear the audio and I can't recreate the issue to troubleshoot.  I believe it's a YT issue but, I'm trying to be sure so I know if there's something I can do differently on my end to help..

I watch this on YouTube, on the forum post and on my iPhone, everything was fine.  I was using Apple's newest desktop Mac and an older iPhone probably 3 years old.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

2 hours ago, Chet said:

I watch this on YouTube, on the forum post and on my iPhone, everything was fine.  I was using Apple's newest desktop Mac and an older iPhone probably 3 years old.

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Seems to be working fine on both an iPhone and iPad 

Thanks guys!  Seems to be more of an issue with these couple viewers browsers or YT itself.  I've gone through everything I can think of and even asked Collin for help to let me know of things I wasn't considering..

Thanks for the assist!