Title of the document

Drill Press - Starting the Hunt

Kev

I'm just beginning my research for the next drill press.  I'm going to keep a completely open mind as I'm just not a "tool snob".  I'm approaching this as if money is not a consideration unless there's a couple machines with very similar features and power but, one is considerably cheaper for essentially the same thing.

There's some features that are important to me.

• Floor Standing
  • Good Power
  • Foot Switch Option
  • Good depth stop
  • Tilting bed
  • Warranty

Here's some of the ones that I've spent a few minutes looking at. Open to any other suggestions to consider.

• Nova
  • Jet
  • Shop Fox
  • Grixx
  • Rikon
  • Powermatic - I would have to choke hard to buy one of these but, it may be the best option

I'm sure many of you have done more research than I have so, that's the reason for this post.  I'm interested in your research and experience as I drive down to my final decision.

On that note, I should say that replacing my current Grizz machine is not absolutely mandatory.

Let the discussions begin!

I really like the Nova, I think it is great with the adjustment of speeds for drilling different materials.  My only concern is I’m not certain about the longevity of the electronics.  The price point is higher, but more features.  A drill press is s fairly simple machine, and I probably would go jet or rikon.  This would be the tool I would be more price conscious on especially if I had or want to upgrade other tools.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I really like the Nova, I think it is great with the adjustment of speeds for drilling different materials.  My only concern is I’m not certain about the longevity of the electronics.  The price point is higher, but more features.  A drill press is s fairly simple machine, and I probably would go jet or rikon.  This would be the tool I would be more price conscious on especially if I had or want to upgrade other tools.

Agree with you on the longevity of the Nova!  Just not sure it's been around long enough to have that track record yet.  However, the price point is actually a little less that the PM model.

Do you have the Nova?  Curious about some details if you do..

No I don’t have it.  I do know that the electronics are similar to what is in their lathes and most people haven’t had many issues.  Parts availability shouldn’t be an issue.  I don’t have the space for a floor standing drill press.  My benchtop is light enough to move around, but still a royal PITA! 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

No I don’t have it.  I do know that the electronics are similar to what is in their lathes and most people haven’t had many issues.  Parts availability shouldn’t be an issue.  I don’t have the space for a floor standing drill press.  My benchtop is light enough to move around, but still a royal PITA! 

Thanks!  I always value your input !

12 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

ill be of no help here ... my old floor standing delta isnt much to compare to all the fancy ones out there today

Delta actually has a few offerings worth looking at as well

6 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

This isn’t the delta of old.  Never looked, but does Harvey have a drill press.  If they do couldbe a good tool to test drive!

I looked to see if Felder, Harvey, or Laguna had an offering with no luck.

17 minutes ago, Coop said:

Since you didn’t show HF as a choice, I can’t offer any hands on experience. 

Just curious, why are you thinking of replacing the Grizz? 

The current machine is a Grizz that's vintage 70s or 80s.  It's a good machine but, I'm putting equipment in my shop in preparation for retirement.  I just won't have the disposable income after I retire like I do now..

Just wondering how important a computerized dp over a reliable mechanical dp in Woodworking could justify the cost? To me, mine is the least significant machine that I have in my shop albeit pretty handy to have. 

21 minutes ago, Coop said:

Just wondering how important a computerized dp over a reliable mechanical dp in Woodworking could justify the cost? To me, mine is the least significant machine that I have in my shop albeit pretty handy to have. 

Fair point!  And, that stuff isn't that important to me but, it has nothing to do with the cost.  The PM is actually more expensive without all the bells and whistles of the Nova.

I want to ensure that this is the last DP that I purchase.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/21/2022 at 11:44 PM, Kev said:

Fair point!  And, that stuff isn't that important to me but, it has nothing to do with the cost.  The PM is actually more expensive without all the bells and whistles of the Nova.

I want to ensure that this is the last DP that I purchase.

Just out of curiosity, and I find myself using that phrase way too much, for a Woodworking hobbyists, how precise should a dp be? Shouldn’t run out, speed and a vertical depth stop be the main considerations? We’re not doing root canals. 

5 hours ago, Coop said:

Just out of curiosity, and I find myself using that phrase way too much, for a Woodworking hobbyists, how precise should a dp be? Shouldn’t run out, speed and a vertical depth stop be the main considerations? We’re not doing root canals. 

Yep..  I really think with most higher end new drill presses out there, the runout isn't going to be an issue.  Even though I can change the speeds on my current drill press, I never have so, although I think this is important, it's not a deal breaker.  Now the depth stop is another issue.  A good depth stop is very important on my list.  It's one of my least favorite features on my current DP.

5 hours ago, Olie said:

What size drill press are you looking to purchase. I’m guessing if you are looking for a floor standing model you’ll be looking in the 17in. to 20in. range? 

Yes, in that range..  Every once in a while, I have a need to put something long in it.