Title of the document

Few completed items

Jamie

Have been keeping busy in the shop since the weather has turned cold.  Have made a few different items lately....

First up was a kids table and chairs set.  Got asked by to build a set for a gentleman's grandkids.  They wanted to save a little money and were willing to do the finish work themselves.  Mostly pocket hole construction with solid and red oak plywood.  Did fill the pocket holes with plugs, which my drum sander didn't like very much.  Ended up tearing a few rolls up.  

IMG-3135.thumb.jpg.4337592d98a8b67cea2e0af59140d208.jpgIMG-3136.thumb.jpg.089d396bc36a0596e912904fcd660eb8.jpg

Around thanksgiving my daughter and I came up with a Christmas tree project that she ended up selling 55 of them!  I'm guessing she gave away around 15 as well.  Was a quick little project that we ended up wrapping with some little lights.IMG-5751.thumb.JPG.7be9357dc997240a4595a94b1201a1d3.JPG

We also came up with this one that she is thinking for next season.IMG-3173.thumb.jpg.ef860e4cfcf5c12cb1194be8e8fddf29.jpg

The local restaurant in our town, which is the only restaurant in town has been closed for around 6 months recently got new owners.  They asked me to do a few repairs on some chairs and make them around a dozen charcuterie boards.  They gave me free will on the design and I decided to burn up some scrap wood in the process.  IMG-3147.thumb.jpg.db390e512122469f88122b36a498ea8a.jpg

My nephew has recently been showing quite a bit of interest in woodworking and has spent a handful of days with me in the shop.  Every time he is down I try to come up with a project that we can finish up in a day or two.  We made a few planter boxes one day which he was pretty proud of!  I have to say I really enjoy my time in the shop with him.  He is really turning into a fine young man.

IMG-3130.thumb.jpg.c6530a63ac192a1d9c63b0b14187ff65.jpg

My daughter Emmi wanted to make a Christmas gift for her mother and came up with a coaster set.  I do all of the cutting and she puts the pattern together.  I let her do as much as possible without her getting much chance to get hurt.  The box is leopard wood,  a species that I have never used before.  My nephew also built a set for a gift.  They both really liked putting arm r seal on and seeing the wood come to life.IMG-3270.thumb.jpg.34e478b338ca19a030278e6c72fd2d08.jpg

A project that I wanted to do for a while is a chaos cutting board.  This board is 15 glueups involved to get to this point.  Have some cleanup and a juice grove to cut into it yet.  Amazing how much lumber went up the dust chute 1/8" at a time with every cut.  I started with 2 panels 20x48 to get roughly a 14x17 chaos piece.thumbnail_IMG-3301.thumb.jpg.537319e49e173933231b15d0376431d2.jpg

• Like 5

That's some great stuff and getting to mentor kids is always a big plus.

I may be borrowing that first Christmas tree idea.  Actually I am sure I will be borrowing the idea.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

On 1/5/2023 at 1:16 PM, Chet said:

That's some great stuff and getting to mentor kids is always a big plus.

I may be borrowing that first Christmas tree idea.  Actually I am sure I will be borrowing the idea.

Thats what its for!  If you want I can get you the cut list.  Pretty simple other than with the angles you cant mass produce parts.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2023 at 7:38 PM, Coop said:

@Jamie, are the planter boxes going outside, uncovered? What kind of construction did you use on the side panels and elsewhere? 
Yep, my wife saw them and you know the rest!😁

Coop sorry I missed this.....

Yes they will be going outside uncovered.  Its actually pretty simple construction of glue and brad nails.  In the first ones that we made it was only glue and brads,  in the others ended up putting a few screws in to stiffen everything up.  Would for sure recommend using screws in these.  For the lumber it is just fence pickets from home depot, really cheap to build.  Was thinking about taking a few down to a local greenhouse who sells all sorts of planters and see if he would be interested in possibly selling a few for me.  

IMG-4120.thumb.jpg.acb4f01072b9aa3d739a128636dee3b6.jpg

I like how these taller ones turned out.  Ended up making a hybrid of the 2 planters together and really like those!  Just cant seem to find a picture of one right now.  

• Like 2

Got another board finished up over the weekend.  My nephew decided to do this one for the fire department that his Dad is on gala event.  He did quite a bit of the carving of the logo free hand with a router and I maybe helped him out on some of the finer details.  Liam (my nephew) did all of the finish sanding and worked him trough the grits while showing him how to pop the grain between them with water.  He really liked using my new 3m extract sander over the sanding block that I gave him to start with 🙂 

356156399_DecorahFD.thumb.jpg.c7af71d38c94c05d4e4da2dbae27571c.jpg

• Like 2