Title of the document

Bandsaw .. how important?

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by bushwacked

1) I’m curious your thoughts on how important this tool is? 

Should you have one but not blow a lot aka grizzly or will a good one like PM make life so much easier ...

I sold my 14” grizzly that had like a 8” cut capacity or something like that and it wasn’t very impressive. I could have got the riser block to make it a bigger capacity but I just decided to sell it while undergoing the House Reno and little shop time this past couple years. 

Thoughts?

2) That's why I have 2 bandsaws!

If you have space issues, you'd be fine with just one saw.  For me, I wanted the extra resaw capacity but, I didn't want to change blades every time I wanted to cut a tight circle.

Both of mine are Grizzly and I don't have any complaints.  

3) with the 2 car garage being a constraint ... I would only be able to get 1 until I get everything built and worked out and maybe figure out how to fit 2, but for a long time it will only be 1.

IS a bandsaw a tool you could go with a grizzly or rikon that have 12"+ resaw capacity and be fine?

4) My shop is only a 2 car garage  ;) 

I resaw on my Grizzly 17" just fine.

5) I ‘ve had a 14” Grizz with the riser block for a couple of years and can’t see myself without one. I bought it principally for resawing asI was living life precariously, resawing on my ts. Now that I have it, I find myself using it at least once on every project. I even used it to make my first hand cut (if you will) dt’s on one of Marc’s guild builds. Also used it to slice a block of dry ice.

6) I didn't have a bandsaw for years but finally got the Laguna 1412 about five years ago and don't know how I would go without it now. It has good power 1 3/4 hp. The fit and finish was great out of the box. I really like the easy of adjustment of the ceramic bearings and it has a re-saw capacity of 13 inches, actually I think you could do 13 1/4.

7) I’m still not sure what direction to go for the bandsaw. I’m looking at grizzly rikon Jet laguna and PM still. So basically all across the board. 

I know I want to be able to resaw at least 12” at minimum. Also looking for minimal fidgeting with out of the box too. I still have plenty of time for research as I need a lot more stuff done in my garage before I pick up a new bandsaw.

8 ) Just another point of interest and I think Rikon has some form of this also but all the bearing adjustments are tool free on the Laguna.

9) Oh tool free adjustments would be great! I figured PM was the only one that would have that)

10) My thought is a bandsaw is one of those key tools for a shop. I don't think I would get a PM bandsaw, for the money you could get a MM16 from Minimax for the same price and is a better saw. I have a 14" grizzly and has served me well, but if I was going to upgrade it would be to a Minimax or Italian made Laguna. I do like the Rikon offerings though.

11) How much do minimax run? I only see a call for quote on pricing.

12) The MM16 is between $3000 to $3500. Forget the exact price when I got a quote, plus the have offers at times.

13) Ouch! And that gives you how much re-saw capacity?

14) Right around 16"

15) Wow. That is up there. Are they that much better than PM?

16) I would say it is a better machine than the PM and when looking at the PM1500, the price isn't much different. One of the reasons I haven't upgraded is the MM is just tall enough to where it won't fit in the shop in the 2 locations I can realistically put a bandsaw.

17) That’s one big mother board to be resawing. That’s in Spanky’s class now. My 14” will allow for 12” clearance but I guess the largest I’ve ever resawn was about 8”. 

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus