Title of the document

Countersink Bits

Chet

Submitted on he old forum by Coop

I hope this is in the right section? I currently use a cheap Kobalt set from Lowe’s. There are three pieces that include #’s 6, 8 and 10/12. I’m not sure of my dissatisfaction but just wondering what you guys use? 

Follow up posts

1) I have a snappy set and the ones you mentioned Coop. Overall I'm happy with the function they serve, and this is 1 of those things I won't invest heavily in, maybe to my own detriment.

2) Cheap sets here as well.. They work well enough and are cheap enough to just replace them when they get buggered up.

I like the depth stop on the one Marc uses but, just not a fan of all that bulk.

3) I probably have the same set you mention from Lowe's. I have no real complaints with them, like Kev mentions, easy to replace.

4) 

I have the Insty-Bit. It works good for me. 

Not sure it's any better than what you already use.

5) Thanks guys. I’m not out to spend money but if there is a better way then, I don’t mind doing so. Kev, I asked you once but can’t find your answer. On a couple of your projects, you had two drills set up for countersinking. Mind telling me again what you were using?

6) I use some cheapos that came with a dewalt box I got a long time ago.

7) I guess what my problem is if I want to attach a piece and don’t want to drill all the way through the piece I’m attaching it to and I have not gotten to the counter sink part of the bit yet, if that makes sense?

8 ) Those usually have a set screw in them so that you can shorten the drill portion Coop.. If I understood you correctly..

9) You did. The shank of the bit has a flat spot where the set screw rests against. Move it down to the cutting portion and now I get a run out, due to the wobble of the uneven portion of the bit. The next time I incur this problem, I’ll address it here with pics, whick will be easier to understand

10) Change the bit out to a shorter bit..  All mine have very short bits which I prefer.  The down side, as you can see in my videos, is that I often have an extra pilot drill set up to get the deeper holes when needed.

11) That was the two I was referring to. Ok, thanks.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus