Title of the document

New ir Compressor

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

I've been running a very old Makita over/under compressor since about 1994.  It's been an awesome compressor that has taken everything I've ever thrown at it and still runs great!  My only complaint that I've ever had with it was how loud it is.

So, seeing good reviews and seeing even better prices, I broke down and replaced the old Makita.  Actually, I'm just moving to the garage.  

I picked up California Air Tools 5510SE compressor.  One of the lesser expensive ones so, we'll see how it goes.  Here's the link.  www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NOSCDPA/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've only gotten as far as unboxing it and test running it once.  I'll give more feedback once I've had the chance to put it through its paces.

Out of the box, I'm impressed!  Light weight but, has a set of wheels and a handle.  The cord could be a little longer but, that's really not an issue.  When they say it's quiet, they mean that it's quiet!  Really quiet!  I actually had to turn the radio down in the shop to hear the compressor!

So, more follow up as I run it..

Follow up posts

1) 5.5 Gal. Isn’t a lot. What was the capacity of your previous one? For the price, as long as it will keep up, is a deal

2) I think the Makita was about the same really..  Maybe a little more HP?  It is an over under configuration where the new one is just one tank.

I only need it to drive some pin nails and maybe blow off a little dust..  I won't be asking this one to build decks, shops, and paint cars like I did the old one. 

3) My son in law that works in tool repair has been telling me for years that the California Air are pretty top notch equipment. He has convinced me that its the one to get if I replace the present one. Also he says it is way better to get longer air hoses then use longer cords on compressors.

4) I completely agree about the cord but, this on is just a little on the short side..  Certainly not a deal breaker.

I'll load up the tank today and run a series of nails to see how it does..  How many shots before it needs to pressure up again and how long the recovery time is.

I will tell you that I had to turn the stereo down in the shop so that I could hear the compressor!

5) Well, apologies! I didn't get to the compressor today.. Between dealing with some stuff on the building, hauling material, and starting work on the new miter station I just didn't get to it. I'll get to it soon, I promise.

6) No apologies needed. Its your time off, you need to do what you want/need to do.

7) Chet, I would have thought just the opposite. Did he say why? Is it because the hose is like part of the reservoir? 

8 ) Really had a good opportunity to put it through its paces today and, to say I'm impressed is an understatement.

We made 9 cabinets for the new miter station in the new shop today. Although we used glue and screws for the bulk of what we did, all of the maple edge treatments were done with glue and brads. All in all, I probably shot 300 of them today and never once waited on the compressor!

I was impressed with how long it went between needing to refill and how short of a time it took to complete the refill! To top it off, I could barely hear it refill.

My only complaint is that I didn't buy this compressor a few years ago when they first came out! Amazing price and amazing value!

9) Did you buy off Amazon? Curious how the packaging was with the motor on top exposed.

10) Packaging was awesome!   In fact, it was in a double box.  The motor section had a good bit of styrofoam around it and was well protected.  Best hundred and fifty bucks I spent all year!

11) Always good when things go your way!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus