Title of the document

Let's talk chainsaws

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by woodenskye

I'm not talking about a saw used for cutting trees everyday, but more as a homeowner.  Would you go with a cordless knowing some limitations like bar length, power and battery duration?  Or would you go gas?  What do you feel is optimal bar length?  In the past I have been known to tame smaller trees down with a reciprocating saw.  

Follow up posts

1) I think your question is ultimately dependent on your circumstances.

My current house as well as my last house have no trees at all (after I removed a small aspen near the current house) but, I own a Stihl with a 24" bar.  Used it every year in hunting camp.  

I still own the saw and wouldn't even consider selling it.  IMO, if you have a need for a chainsaw, have a chain saw!

2) Realistically I could probably get by with a 14 or 16" bar, which is why considering a cordless has entered my thinking. I have makita drills and the batteries work, but I don't know anybody that owns for real life use. The don't have a tree on my property that is more than 16", but going 18 or 20 might future proof. For the amount of use, I just hate having to deal with the maintenance if not used for months at a time.

3) It's probably been close to a year since I've fired mine up.  I'll admit I guilty of piss poor maintenance on the saw as it still has fuel in it from that long ago.  However, I also know that I could go fire it up today.

What I should have done was drain the fuel.  Bar oil won't go bad so, really no maintenance.

4) The Stihl chain saws are really something these days. My son in law spent a week at their facility to go through the repair training. All the new ones are like car engines in the way they are designed to be efficient. All electronic and fuel injected. He thinks they are by far the best out there and he works on a lot of different brands. They have come out with a new line of battery stuff but they probably don't run on your Makita batteries Bryan.

5) The makita works off the 18 volt LXT battery platform, which is what my drills are.  I spoke with a guy I know at Toolnut and he said the LXT platform hasn't changed other than amp hour.  I'm still leaning towards gas, Stihl, Echo or Husqvarna. 

6) I've owned Stihl for years but, have lots of friends with the Husqvarna that swear by them as well.

7) I’ll throw another option out there. If you’re a city dweller, a corded saw is a great option. Years ago I was struggling trying start my old gasoline saw and a neighbor brought this little “toy” down and ask me to get him an extension cord. After cutting the 6” or so limb off, he took it home and I went to Sears and bought one.

8 ) Coop, good idea, but in my opinion you still need 2 saws.  If you are at a place without power, then you are obviously SOL.  For really small limbs, 4 inches or less in diameter my reciprocating saw works fine. 

The more I think about it, I really believe an 18 or 20" bar gas model would be best.  Guess I should start saving my pennies.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus