Title of the document

Woodworking Podcasts

Chet

I was interested in hearing if any of you have favorite woodworking podcasts that you listen to.  I have three that I listen to regularly.  I most often put then on when I am out in the shop and they each get listen to two to three times because in the course of the program I have tools on and other distractions.  So I play them at least twice and usually three times be for I have consumed everything a show has to offer.

In no particular order:

Woodworkers Podcast https://woodworkerpodcast.com

This has Phillip Morley, Ramon Valdez and Ben Brunick.  All three of them do amazing work in their chosen style.  Ramon Valdez does a lot of Marquetry in his work and has done some for some of Phillip Morley's pieces.  The shows are fun and educational and you get a good feel for what it is like to be a professional woodworker. 

This one is on every two weeks.

Fine Woodworking's Shop Talk Live https://www.finewoodworking.com/blog/shop-talk-live

This one revolves around listener questions and some of the people from the magazine's personal experiences in the shop.

Also on every two weeks.

The Matt and Joe Woodworking Fun Hour https://www.woodworkingfunhour.com

This has Matt Kenney, who used to work at FWW Magazine but mostly teaches woodworking and has written a book and is in the process of writing another.  I don't know Joe's last name but he, by profession is a photographer for ESPN and is in the midst of starting his woodworking hobby.  If you start listening to this one from the beginning it took its premise from Joe asking Matt for help in becoming a better woodworker.

This one started out being sort of hit or miss because of their two traveling schedules but is moving into almost weekly know.

• Like 1

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

I have never listened to a podcast, does that surprise anyone. Thanks Chet as this may change my whole shop lifestyle! BTW, this forum format reminds me of another one I’m familiar with, shape, form and fashion. I hate change and thus, really like this! 

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I may delete that thread this is more complete.

Yea, get rid of it.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus

• 1 year later...

Anyone listened fine woodworking post cast about random orbit sanders I believe was in the title. What caught my attention in it was the discussion on creating a perfect piece. They mentioned when someone looks at something you made how you instantly go to pointing out the flaws. I am guilty of this for sure. I don’t believe I’ve ever created something that is absolutely perfect. I can always find something that I don’t quite like or a grain direction is wrong. Just was an interesting take to me. 

They went into more detail on the discussion than I am hitting on here. 

I used to do this but over the past 6 years I have finally got myself to stop pointing stuff out.  What finally got me on the right path was realizing that not only do they not notice the mistakes they also don't notice the fine detail we put into projects.  People just see the whole piece.

And on that note, yesterday I was gluing on stop blocks for the drawers in the nightstands.  Just 3/4 inch square blocks. When I took th spring clamps off I had glued one on with the grain turned 90° to all the rest.  With the back on and drawers in you won't be able to see it, even with the drawer out you probable couldn't tell.  But thinking about it, its like an itch you can't scratch.  I think I will end up prying it off and doing a new one.

• Haha 2

I strive to do the best I can and fix most things I mess up but I rarely point out my mistakes anymore...well except to woodworkers 🙂 

Case in point I recently finished a second Urn in a month for a friends funeral. On the starburst top the finish created some interesting ripples where the pieces came together, try as I might I could not get them out and finally ran out of time so out the door it went. There were about 75 people at the funeral and you know, not one mentioned the issue but several mentioned how beautiful it was in fact the pastor pulled me aside and said it was one of the nicest Urns she had ever seen, major stroke to my ego LOL

I really wanted to take a picture at the funeral home but thought it might be viewed as disrespectful.  They had the box on its side with the cross facing the attendees and let me tell you the curl in that veneer looked amazing with the dimmed lights reflecting off it, even I wasn't thinking of the mistake in the finish at that point LOL

1754014144_boxtake2.jpg.8f1983faee7f54f28b70260b2eacae76.jpg

• Like 3