Title of the document

Quilt Ladder

Kev

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

8/4 walnut? Is this still some of that cheap but delicious stuff you get locally? 

Yea but, I'm actually out of the thicker stuff so, I'll have to go buy a stick..

50 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I’ve done them with 3/4x1 1/4 instead of the dowel. Rounded over the corners. Felt like it gives heavier quilts more support with less spring. Could go a little wider even to get a couple of screws in. 

Hmm..  I like the thinking!  I have the dowel on hand and was thinking about no screws..  You got me thinking though!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I have never used a quilt so obviously never had a need to build a rack.  I’m guessing a couple on a rack could get heavy, but 8/4 seems too stout.  I would think 5/4 would be enough, but then again, I have no clue.

Was my thoughts too..  My wife wanted thicker but, will probably end up around 6/4 by the time I get them flat 😉

For the record, I had 2 chunks of 12/4 on hand that I could have used..  Just couldn't bring myself to us it for this project.

1 hour ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I have never used a quilt so obviously never had a need to build a rack.  I’m guessing a couple on a rack could get heavy, but 8/4 seems too stout.  I would think 5/4 would be enough, but then again, I have no clue.

I remember visiting my grandmother in Louisiana in the winter time and sleeping under the quilts she made and loved them. There is a quilting convention here in Houston every year and I need  to go to purchase one! 

46 minutes ago, Coop said:

I remember visiting my grandmother in Louisiana in the winter time and sleeping under the quilts she made and loved them. There is a quilting convention here in Houston every year and I need  to go to purchase one! 

I think there's a quilting convention in every town each year....lol. Frankly, I think there might be more of them than there are woodworkers!

13 hours ago, Coop said:

8/4 walnut? Is this still some of that cheap but delicious stuff you get locally? 

Well, I was too late this year because of the work schedule so, had to pay stupid prices today..  Should of just milled the 12/4 down and been done..

Oh well..  Too late now...  Guess I'll just make a more expensive quilt ladder.

Sorry, no update pics yet..  I've stayed busy in the shop today trying to get this one done..  Will probably have to finish the finish tomorrow but, it will be close!

Currently, it's glued up.  I'll pull it out of clamps and get a coat of ARS on it after dinner.  From there, I'll be spraying a coat or 2 of lacquer on it to protect the quilts as they're hung there.  I'll get some pictures later after I get the ARS on it..

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Coop said:

Are these supported on a stand or against the wall? 

This will lean against a wall under her fabric storage..  The angles are specific to that area.  It should be noted that a change in the angles could also change the spacing for the rungs to ensure enough clearance for quilts.  

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

Better keep the credit card handy as I can see you making more of these for her quilting friends. 

Only if they want to pay the price..

Lumber was 145.  With labor, I wouldn't sell for less than 350..  And that's a fair deal.  Otherwise, I wouldn't build it again..

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Are the feet angles and the hanger rail angles the same? How did you end up securing the rails? 

Yes, they're all at just over 17 degrees..  They were secured with dominos but, pocket screws would have worked as well.

17 degrees is just what worked out for this location.  This angle also effects the distance between the hangers to ensure there's enough room to hang the quilts.  I actually built a mock up to check my numbers on this one and changed my template a couple times because of it..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kev said:

Yes, they're all at just over 17 degrees..  They were secured with dominos but, pocket screws would have worked as well.

17 degrees is just what worked out for this location.  This angle also effects the distance between the hangers to ensure there's enough room to hang the quilts.  I actually built a mock up to check my numbers on this one and changed my template a couple times because of it..

interesting ... for the 17* domino, how did you handle that?