Title of the document

Rockler Box Joint Jig

Kev

I've had this sitting in my shop for a while and finally got around to unboxing it and doing a review.  There will be a video but, I'll share my findings here with you guys..

Note:  This was the less expensive ($70.00) version.  The XL version ($120) is definitely a bit nicer and had some features that I wish this one had.

Overall, the jig functions as it should with a few pros and cons.

Pros:

• Good instruction manual
  • Easy and quick to set up
  • Created serviceable box joints
  • Had enough room in the rear to hold the work pieces with a clamp for small parts.

Cons:

• The slider had a little slop which created a couple fixable small gaps - I think this slop is fixable with some blue tape but, didn't actually try it.
  • The fence is really short at 3 1/8" so, I always felt like my fingers were closer to the bit than needed
  • It only comes with one fence - This means that you either have to purchase the ones for the other sizes of box joints or make your own
  • It's all MDF construction which is standard for Rockler jigs

Additional Notes:

• DC is a little tricky!  To get the best results I could, I removed the zero clearance plate on the router table and opened the gap on my fence quite a bit to get more surface DC.
  • Although it would be simple to add a taller fence, I'd be concerned with "flex" if you got too tall.
  • If I had it to do over again, I would probably spend the extra money and get the XL version.

image.thumb.jpeg.bae2b20be5dc7d607ad521cc8d38e70a.jpeg

• Like 1

I’ve had one for about 8 years or so and really like it. A couple of things I’ve learned. 

Paste wax the grooves in the mdf.

A spiral up bit makes a world of difference.

When you move the board past the bit, pick it up before bring the sled back to you. That eliminates any tear out. 

Brass setup blocks are your best friend. 

All of my box joints are 3/8” and 1/2”. I made an auxiliary minimum clearance fence that I can flip to accommodate either size.

423A65E7-3C4E-4407-A03A-2C8C993163FD.thumb.jpeg.2b9ef25b9fd4054de8d7651e51bee531.jpegECD8FB63-4577-4D39-AF8C-A075154E7638.thumb.jpeg.5de5ca7d9c30996b086ea87f77ef9244.jpeg

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’ve had one for about 8 years or so and really like it. A couple of things I’ve learned. 

Paste wax the grooves in the mdf.

A spiral up bit makes a world of difference.

When you move the board past the bit, pick it up before bring the sled back to you. That eliminates any tear out. 

Brass setup blocks are your best friend. 

All of my box joints are 3/8” and 1/2”. I made an auxiliary minimum clearance fence that I can flip to accommodate either size.

423A65E7-3C4E-4407-A03A-2C8C993163FD.thumb.jpeg.2b9ef25b9fd4054de8d7651e51bee531.jpegECD8FB63-4577-4D39-AF8C-A075154E7638.thumb.jpeg.5de5ca7d9c30996b086ea87f77ef9244.jpeg

Should have let you do the review...lol. I'd never played with it before..