Title of the document

Morris chairs

Jamie

Didn’t plan on doing a journal on this project but I thought I would share an update on it. Am using the plans from wood whisperer guild. 

Did hit a cool part in the project tonight as I got one of the arms to fit the legs. It still needs some fine tuning to get a better fit but will get there. Was pretty excited to see them at this point. 973F081B-1374-4656-918E-FA64F3C1512A.thumb.jpeg.1460a4880af2a40e66134665a139dbda.jpeg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Didn’t plan on doing a journal on this project but I thought I would share an update on it. Am using the plans from wood whisperer guild. 

Did hit a cool part in the project tonight as I got one of the arms to fit the legs. It still needs some fine tuning to get a better fit but will get there. Was pretty excited to see them at this point. 973F081B-1374-4656-918E-FA64F3C1512A.thumb.jpeg.1460a4880af2a40e66134665a139dbda.jpeg

Nice!  That's a great WW project for sure!

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Coop said:

Jamie, if you have time and don’t mind, a few progress pics would be appreciated. This is on my bucket list. Is yours made of cherry? 

Yeah @Coop cherry it is.  I actually made this chair a little taller than the plans called for.  Raised it up 2 inches.  Im 6'3" and didnt think I would like getting out of such a low chair.  I'm questioning if a 2" rise was even enough yet.  Dont have the the exact measurement of what the seat height is with me but can get it for you if you are interested. 

Just now, Kev said:

Wow..  The pic looks like you were doing an inlay...lol..  Ok, maybe it's my old eyeballs 😉

Looking good bud!

Lol no worries

Thanks! This project has been way more time consuming than I originally thought it would be, along with being a bigger challenge than it looks. Getting the curved arms to sit right on the tenons has been the hardest part so far. Gets me out of my comfort zone by incorporating quite a few hand tool operations. I have tons of respect for the craftsmen who love to use hand tools. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

Lol no worries

Thanks! This project has been way more time consuming than I originally thought it would be, along with being a bigger challenge than it looks. Getting the curved arms to sit right on the tenons has been the hardest part so far. Gets me out of my comfort zone by incorporating quite a few hand tool operations. I have tons of respect for the craftsmen who love to use hand tools. 

Getting outside of our comfort zone is what will make you a better woodworker!  Good on you for taking on the challenge!  

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

Getting outside of our comfort zone is what will make you a better woodworker!  Good on you for taking on the challenge!  

The nicest thing about hand tools is the lack of noise. It is a cool sound hearing a chisel shave off a smooth cut. 

Don’t trust myself or my old hand plane to touch this project, will stick to a sander for now 🤔

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

The nicest thing about hand tools is the lack of noise. It is a cool sound hearing a chisel shave off a smooth cut. 

Don’t trust myself or my old hand plane to touch this project, will stick to a sander for now 🤔

Building the confidence in the hand tools takes time.  Start with a smoothing plane set to a light cutting and you'll quickly build confidence..  

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Building the confidence in the hand tools takes time.  Start with a smoothing plane set to a light cutting and you'll quickly build confidence..  

I couldn’t even tell you what my plane is anymore! I know I have a couple block planes and I believe a #4 smoother. I got it at an auction and spent some time refurbishing it.  Should pull it out and give it a test drive. I should do some homework on setting a plane up correctly. 

1 minute ago, Jamie said:

I couldn’t even tell you what my plane is anymore! I know I have a couple block planes and I believe a #4 smoother. I got it at an auction and spent some time refurbishing it.  Should pull it out and give it a test drive. I should do some homework on setting a plane up correctly. 

I’m with you bud!! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jamie said:

The #4 Smoother is just about the most used plane in my shop..  If it's not the most used, it's a close second to the block plane.  When I'm trying to sneak up on a drawer front fit or something similar, it's the #4 that I reach for every time!  I know I don't put much of it on video but, hand tools play a big role in my shop!  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Coop said:

I think/know that I put too much reliability on power tools, especially on the face of a board. I do appreciate the block on the ends and #4 on the edges at times. Defiantly a consideration for a video boss! 

There's handtools in a lot of my videos..  Maybe I just need to point them out a bit more..

• 8 months later...

Well this project has been sitting in the back corner of the shop for too long!

Didnt have much going on in the shop this past weekend so decided too work on the chair.  Had to dry fit it all together to see where I left off in the project.  

1033555109_MorrisChairdryfit.thumb.jpg.56d904c86b0fcdf91b51eed7606ff1d3.jpg

Did end up getting it along with the footstool all sanded up and glued together.  All I have left is to make the corbels and the seat supports.

• Like 4