Title of the document

Small Book Shelves

Kev

My DIL has requested some small book shelves like the ones pictured below for the baby's room.  How could I resist?  Chatting with my wife about it and I told her that there was just nothing "video worthy" in this project..

Fast forward a week and I have an order for several more of them..  This is where "video worthy" might come into play.

Stay tuned for details but, I think I have a plan to make these quick and batchable from the scrap bin so, that means profitable for those making a few bucks at what they do OR quick and easy for those needing a quick gift.  Mine will not be distressed/painted but, also won't be pallet wood and butt joints.  Also, changing sizes to fit particular spaces will be easy!

I'm looking at 2 different mounting options..  The first one is about $24.00 and requires very little work.  The second option is about $17.00 and requires a little more work.  I'll keep you in the loop as to which one I go with.

image.png.31aae431327428b680b51721b06b49c2.png

Looking for the group's thought's and input!

Now, back to my router table...

As for mounting options, since you are still working I would go with the least work, but slightly higher price, especially if these become a semi production item.  

This would be a great place for a laser engraver where you could personalize for the kids room it’s going in.  Wood burning could accomplish the same thing just more time consuming.  Now the counter to this, would you may be limited to species like maple or other light wood for it to show up good.

5 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

As for mounting options, since you are still working I would go with the least work, but slightly higher price, especially if these become a semi production item.  

This would be a great place for a laser engraver where you could personalize for the kids room it’s going in.  Wood burning could accomplish the same thing just more time consuming.  Now the counter to this, would you may be limited to species like maple or other light wood for it to show up good.

Yea, the darker woods probably wouldn't show the burning as well??  I haven't actually tried it though so, I could definitely be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Jamie said:

That's what's on the ones in the picture above.  Frankly, I don't trust them for anything holding weight that could be above the baby.  

2 minutes ago, Kev said:

That's what's on the ones in the picture above.  Frankly, I don't trust them for anything holding weight that could be above the baby.  

Never thought about that.  

I have used them before on some shelves for the wife, strength of them has never been an issue.  But there again there isnt much weight on them.  

Just now, Jamie said:

Never thought about that.  

I have used them before on some shelves for the wife, strength of them has never been an issue.  But there again there isnt much weight on them.  

Yea, I strongly considered it and just went with my gut.  I've never had an issue with them either but, I'm also not there to see how much weight gets put on them.  

1 minute ago, Kev said:

Yea, I strongly considered it and just went with my gut.  I've never had an issue with them either but, I'm also not there to see how much weight gets put on them.  

True points.

And with it going above the grand child and not your own kid you really cant mess around! 

Just now, Jamie said:

True points.

And with it going above the grand child and not your own kid you really cant mess around! 

lol, yea, I'd of hung sacks of rocks over my kids with bubble gum 😂🤣😉

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Thanks Jamie. I’ve never seen these before but they are on the way, thanks to a click and Amazon.

• Like 1

Well, I got an early start this morning..  This really should be less than a one day project even when batching multiples.

All the parts are cut and the ends for 2 of the 4 that I'm making are glued up.  This shifted my grain match slightly but, I don't think anyone will notice.

image.thumb.jpeg.b5a747f1e664a091fa9ad852fba85983.jpeg

• Like 1

Update:

Got them all glued up and the initial sanding done.

image.thumb.jpeg.5666e15b4fceaa175523fea4dd08084e.jpeg

Next up, I rounded the tops of the sides and started softening the finger ends with a trim router and a 1/8" round over bit.

image.thumb.jpeg.d7c441bc694f610e20ebf7f4fab94f38.jpeg

Time for a bit of lunch and then I'll finish pillowing the fingers and start some glue ups!

• Like 2

Got them out of clamps and the locations marked for the bar that goes across the front..

image.thumb.jpeg.32f091cfd9a6ce8e90a3b2d715397a03.jpeg

Made a set of 1" x 1" bars and rounded them over at the router table and got them installed.  Just a screw and a plug like the rest.

image.thumb.jpeg.9f58adf6a73f2bf26faff5f0c8cb5710.jpeg

Next up, DINNER!

Then I'll have a look at mounting hardware and some finish..

• Like 1