Title of the document

Burnout

Jamie

So I thought I would take a second and explain my absence as of late. 

With the kitchen cabinet build I took on last summer and doing the installation of it, I hit a rut. I completely burnt myself out. Also mixed In an island project for a client who was a complete pain didn’t help.  The island was a project that I did in trade for a friend of a friend. She does painting and I hate to paint.  The wife’s garage is in need for a fresh coat so the deal was I build her an island and she paints the garage. Each buying their own materials, I buy my own paint and she pays for the material for the island. 

Building the island I felt like I went above and beyond on it. Solid wood panels on all sides.  It had a funky drawer in it to hold paper towels. Along with roll outs and a trash bin. 

It all went together perfectly and I was happy with it. Until the stain had to go on it. I stained it like I normally would, put it on and wipe it off. Should mention she supplied the stain. Sent her a few pictures of it as she requested and got a hard no on the color. After talking with her a few times I had her come over and show me how she applied stain so we could get the color correct. Basically ended up putting another coat of stain on without wiping it off. Was just about like painting with stain. Complete nightmare to get it to even out.  Which I never did get it to look worth a shit in my mind.  Anyways let it dry a few days and put some lacquer on it.  Delivered it and handed her the bill on materials. Granted I had a receipt for every item. That wasn’t quite good enough for her and she complained quite a bit about the price.  At this point my garage hasn’t been painted yet and I’m almost thinking I’m just going to do it myself. As much as I hate to paint I don’t think it would pain me as much as dealing with that woman again. 

74B048CB-4792-4660-9F9D-0BC0E6D00ECA.thumb.jpeg.ea37fd518507558209772d52368795af.jpeg53442925-B24A-45D6-884D-D886CC3707F5.thumb.jpeg.5ac39c92b59e2e55031f3cc471a82337.jpeg53442925-B24A-45D6-884D-D886CC3707F5.thumb.jpeg.5ac39c92b59e2e55031f3cc471a82337.jpeg77F56777-4F8B-45BE-8A4C-C24E0C1839FA.thumb.jpeg.cd9e0684cea3bcf05c6fdfeda4ca6a0d.jpeg

With all that being said, I really just needed a break from it all. I wasn’t enjoying my time in the shop anymore and it was feeling more and more like a job. I was having almost the same feeling around the time that I left the cabinet shop, just didn’t like the shop and dreaded every process. When I left the cabinet shop job I totally switched careers and it changed my life. It took me quite a while after leaving there to even want to build anything of any sorts. 

So I completely stepped away for a short time. Not knowing how long of a break it would be. I quit watching YouTube woodworking videos, reading about topics and even talking about it here with you guys. I would really like to apologize to each and every one of you for not taking the time to even explain my absence. 

In the last couple weeks I jumped back into the shop. Am currently working on a Morris chair which I did start back in November. Had just some material roughed out and legs glued up at the point which I stopped. It is the plans from the wood whisperer guild. Am about half way through with it currently and am excited to share the end results with you guys. 

Thanks again for being an awesome and understanding group.  You guys really do push my motivation and myself to try new things and to always strive to get the best results.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Jamie said:

So I thought I would take a second and explain my absence as of late. 

With the kitchen cabinet build I took on last summer and doing the installation of it, I hit a rut. I completely burnt myself out. Also mixed In an island project for a client who was a complete pain didn’t help.  The island was a project that I did in trade for a friend of a friend. She does painting and I hate to paint.  The wife’s garage is in need for a fresh coat so the deal was I build her an island and she paints the garage. Each buying their own materials, I buy my own paint and she pays for the material for the island. 

Building the island I felt like I went above and beyond on it. Solid wood panels on all sides.  It had a funky drawer in it to hold paper towels. Along with roll outs and a trash bin. 

It all went together perfectly and I was happy with it. Until the stain had to go on it. I stained it like I normally would, put it on and wipe it off. Should mention she supplied the stain. Sent her a few pictures of it as she requested and got a hard no on the color. After talking with her a few times I had her come over and show me how she applied stain so we could get the color correct. Basically ended up putting another coat of stain on without wiping it off. Was just about like painting with stain. Complete nightmare to get it to even out.  Which I never did get it to look worth a shit in my mind.  Anyways let it dry a few days and put some lacquer on it.  Delivered it and handed her the bill on materials. Granted I had a receipt for every item. That wasn’t quite good enough for her and she complained quite a bit about the price.  At this point my garage hasn’t been painted yet and I’m almost thinking I’m just going to do it myself. As much as I hate to paint I don’t think it would pain me as much as dealing with that woman again. 

74B048CB-4792-4660-9F9D-0BC0E6D00ECA.thumb.jpeg.ea37fd518507558209772d52368795af.jpeg53442925-B24A-45D6-884D-D886CC3707F5.thumb.jpeg.5ac39c92b59e2e55031f3cc471a82337.jpeg53442925-B24A-45D6-884D-D886CC3707F5.thumb.jpeg.5ac39c92b59e2e55031f3cc471a82337.jpeg77F56777-4F8B-45BE-8A4C-C24E0C1839FA.thumb.jpeg.cd9e0684cea3bcf05c6fdfeda4ca6a0d.jpeg

With all that being said, I really just needed a break from it all. I wasn’t enjoying my time in the shop anymore and it was feeling more and more like a job. I was having almost the same feeling around the time that I left the cabinet shop, just didn’t like the shop and dreaded every process. When I left the cabinet shop job I totally switched careers and it changed my life. It took me quite a while after leaving there to even want to build anything of any sorts. 

So I completely stepped away for a short time. Not knowing how long of a break it would be. I quit watching YouTube woodworking videos, reading about topics and even talking about it here with you guys. I would really like to apologize to each and every one of you for not taking the time to even explain my absence. 

In the last couple weeks I jumped back into the shop. Am currently working on a Morris chair which I did start back in November. Had just some material roughed out and legs glued up at the point which I stopped. It is the plans from the wood whisperer guild. Am about half way through with it currently and am excited to share the end results with you guys. 

Thanks again for being an awesome and understanding group.  You guys really do push my motivation and myself to try new things and to always strive to get the best results.

We all hit those ruts bud!  The island actually came out really good! As for the client, take her to small claims court, you'll feel better... 🤣. Better yet, when she's done painting, tell her the color isn't quite right and it needs to be done again 🤣😂🤣

Difficult clients are a PITA!  At least she didn't kill you at a point you couldn't fix, if you want to find a bright side.

• Like 2

No need to apologize to us.  We have all been there at some point.  I agree with Kev about small claims court, however if you have no documentation it could be a crap shoot.  The other option is tell her she has 3 options, 1) paint the garage by a certain date, 2) pay you for materials, 3) tell her your coming to remove the island. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

No need to apologize to us.  We have all been there at some point.  I agree with Kev about small claims court, however if you have no documentation it could be a crap shoot.  The other option is tell her she has 3 options, 1) paint the garage by a certain date, 2) pay you for materials, 3) tell her your coming to remove the island. 

I like the removing the island twist!  😂🤣🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kev said:

Better yet, when she's done painting, tell her the color isn't quite right and it needs to be done again 🤣😂🤣

I was thinking exactly this LOL!! Get a lawn chair and sit in the driveway and critique like she did you while drinking some cold ones ... I would also question the "friend" on how they could like this person, might not be a friend much longer 

Edited by Bushwacked
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I really like all the ideas here! It shouldve been a big red flag when a gal like her who is 35 and single yet in this area.  Not a lot of gals to go around so when one is single yet at her age there has to be something troubling.  

Im seriously done with her at this point.  I honestly hope our paths never cross again.  

As far as the friend who brought her over to my place, he is a damn good buddy.  She played on a softball team with her and did the same type of deal for her as I did.  He wired her kitchen up in exchange for her painting his garage.  She was really fussy about painting his garage so I thought what the heck.  Just have to chalk this one up to more tuition payments.  Never done learning I guess. 

• Like 1

Bartering with a woman for services rendered, is almost never fun! Nah, I didn’t say that! 

I’ve never done a commission and never will. My last project was for a relative of a friend who wanted it painted. I built it as a favor and told them that I don’t deliver babies nor do I paint furniture so the burden was on them. Glad you’re back in the saddle and in the shop. 

• Haha 1