Scheduled Maintenance Saturday, 13th, 2022 7-11AM MDT ×
Title of the document

More Table Lazy Susans

I knew you guys wouldn't believe me if I told you I took a few days off after that road trip so, I didn't 😂

I had a couple orders for Table Lazy Susans and I wanted to do something a bit different..  Ok, I had done something similar to this once before but, I had forgotten how much work they were..  Woods are Maple, Walnut, Bubinga, Wenge, Red Gum, and African Mahogany.

So, after 3 days, these are finally ready for some finish and hardware before shipping to the clients..  I'm still mulling the finish on these..  Here's the finishes I'm considering..

• ARS followed by WB - downside being the maple will yellow
  • WB Only - Downside is the darker woods won't pop as nice
  • Rattle Can Lacquer - Downside is the odor!

Interested in your thoughts.

IMG_1642.thumb.jpeg.45e61b232f32f8db7cdad8f21fd6d351.jpeg 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I really like them.  I would choose the finish that doesn’t allow the maple to yellow.  The way you designed to create the leaf is really interesting.

Yea, I'm not sure if I want the yellow or not..  I'll probably go pure WB but, I'm going to sleep on it..

Id go the the lacquer route just to get them done quickly.  Plus side to lacquer on a piece like this is it wont water mark.

Nicely done! They look great!  Not going to be showing my wife these, I know she would find a spot for a few of them!

• Like 1

Damn Dude! Nice job!

5 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Not going to be showing my wife these, I know she would find a spot for a few of them!

If my wife wanted one like these, she would have to call Kev and order from him! 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Id go the the lacquer route just to get them done quickly.  Plus side to lacquer on a piece like this is it wont water mark.

Nicely done! They look great!  Not going to be showing my wife these, I know she would find a spot for a few of them!

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

Damn Dude! Nice job!

If my wife wanted one like these, she would have to call Kev and order from him! 

I like the quickness of the lacquer but, we just got some snow so, I can't really kick the doors open to air out the shop.

These aren't hard to build, just really time consuming!  There's a lot of glue ups..

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

do they have to be identical? Maybe do one with ARS/WB and then WB? 

they look great though!

They're pretty much going to the same place so, I'll be sticking with one finish.

2 hours ago, Kev said:

They're pretty much going to the same place so, I'll be sticking with one finish.

Couldn't make up my mind so, I talked with the owners this morning to see what they wanted and both chose to keep the maple as close to it's natural color as possible.  So, just straight up High Performance it is!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

those look great! 

How do you do the hardware? Did you preinstall while everything was a square or what?

The hardware is simple..  Just center it up and secure it.  Nothing magical or tricky..

I'm trying some new hardware this time.  The stuff I usually get at the big box store tends to be a bit noisy.  So, I opted to order some more expensive hardware this time that should be much quieter.  Frankly, the profit margins on these is so good that it was easy to absorb the extra cost and not pass it on to the client.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Kev said:

The hardware is simple..  Just center it up and secure it.  Nothing magical or tricky..

I'm trying some new hardware this time.  The stuff I usually get at the big box store tends to be a bit noisy.  So, I opted to order some more expensive hardware this time that should be much quieter.  Frankly, the profit margins on these is so good that it was easy to absorb the extra cost and not pass it on to the client.

interesting ... what kits are you using? I ordered some off amazon and they are loud.

Can I ask a rough range of price on these?

37 minutes ago, Kev said:

This is what I ordered this time..  Hoping this isn't what you ordered that's loud...lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KDPCJ27?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

hah! no those look nice ... this is what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006LBVDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .. get what you pay for 🙂 

27 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

hah! no those look nice ... this is what I ordered https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006LBVDS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 .. get what you pay for 🙂 

Those are closer to what I've been using from the big box store..  Only real difference is that the ones I get are round like this..

https://www.amazon.com/TROOPS-BBQ-Capacity-Turntable-Pack/dp/B098GVP48Q/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1S80D92FD8NF2&keywords=lazy+susan+hardware&qid=1649946055&s=home-garden&sprefix=lazy+sus%2Cgarden%2C210&sr=1-11

• Like 1

The hardware is a little finicky but, not too bad once you figure it out.  They have small plastic feet on them and they're on both sides.  It's obvious to remove them from the screw holes but, not so obvious to not remove them from the rest of the holes on that side.  The issues is, if you remove them then you don't have any clearance between the hardware and the object you're mounting it to which creates binding issues.  And, of course, they don't come with any instructions...lol

If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll grab some pictures.

As far as function, they don't work quite as well as the cheaper loud versions but, they are much quieter!

48 minutes ago, Jamie said:

Man those look great!  Im going to have to go back in your video library and figure them out.  Wife has a birthday coming up in a few weeks

The video for how I made these isn't out yet but, they're not difficult.  I can walk you through the process or give you access to the video.

The other 2 versions of these are public..  One is 4 years old and the other is 2 years old..  This one adds all the extra wavy stuff up the middle

19 minutes ago, Coop said:

I’d like access to the video please. 

I'll have the editing done in the next day or 2 and then toss it in the private viewing room for a few days.

• Like 2