Title of the document

Oily Rag trash can

Bushwacked

figured I’d ask here before I buy since we got several in / used to be in the safety biz … is this thing worth the money? Also why does it say empty nightly? Those rags are not dried yet so why would you dump them? Is it to CYA themselves in case rags catch fire and burn down the shop? Isnt that exactly what this is supposed to prevent?

Justrite Just Rite 6 Gallon Oily Waste Can, Red https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DSKBXE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ZG4F84XPE1QYZTP5VGTH?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by Bushwacked

They put that disclaimer on there just in case something stupid happens and their can fails.  Just a liability protection.

It's certainly not wrong to add a piece of safety gear like this but, I question why in a small hobby shop like ours?  If you put the oily rag in the can, you still have to empty it when the rag is dried up.  The only difference is that if the rag catches fire, it's contained in that can.

I just lay mine flat on the shop floor and pick them up the next morning.  If they catch fire there, worst thing I'll have is a small burn mark on the floor.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Kev said:

They put that disclaimer on there just in case something stupid happens and their can fails.  Just a liability protection.

It's certainly not wrong to add a piece of safety gear like this but, I question why in a small hobby shop like ours?  If you put the oily rag in the can, you still have to empty it when the rag is dried up.  The only difference is that if the rag catches fire, it's contained in that can.

I just lay mine flat on the shop floor and pick them up the next morning.  If they catch fire there, worst thing I'll have is a small burn mark on the floor.

ya I normally lay mine on the floor or in the driveway with a rock on top ... however with the kids being more active and the wife paying attention like she does, I have noticed rags moved or wadded up and stuff and not sure I can trust they wont end up tossed in a trash can wet for now ... So just looking for something a little extra maybe if it makes sense 

• Like 1

We were once a Justrite distributor and they had a metal “snuffer” type ring that you could place over a 5 gallon bucket that was much cheaper but I don’t see it on the website now. You could put a flaming rag into the bucket and the ring diverted the smoke back into the bucket and cut off the oxygen and put the fire out. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Coop said:

We were once a Justrite distributor and they had a metal “snuffer” type ring that you could place over a 5 gallon bucket that was much cheaper but I don’t see it on the website now. You could put a flaming rag into the bucket and the ring diverted the smoke back into the bucket and cut off the oxygen and put the fire out. 

well thats sounds really cool .. wonder why they got rid of it? 

As for this basic can ... have you messed with any of them and would you own one?

The Justrite rep came to our shop to demo the ring and used a plastic 5 gal. bucket to demonstrate the ring. The fire went out before the plastic bucket showed any sign of fatigue. I suspect they could make more money from their can than with the ring. Yeah, we used them at work to store the oily red shop towels until the uniform people picked them up. I’m kinda like Kev though and think it might be a bit of overkill for our purpose. I use a plastic 5 gal. bucket with water to dispose of mine. Come garbage day, they go in the trash with other stuff. 

• Like 1