Title of the document

Idea’s For A Project

Coop

We have two social gathering or living rooms in our house. One is used way more than the other and has a sizable tv. The other less used has an armoire that my wife and I purchased years ago as a must have and it contains a much smaller tv. Although we recently celebrated our 49th anniversary, we like others don’t always see eye to eye on everything and tv programs are one of those. And, as the tv in the armoire is much smaller and my eye sight and hearing leave a lot to be desired, the armoire will have to go and replaced with a larger tv.   We still need a base cabinet of sort below the tv to house the modem and other electronics.

Having said all of this, I am halfway confident that I can replicate something that I see but my design ideas leave a lot to be desired. Where do you guys go to for your ideas? My first thought was Google but, being computer handicapped, I’m not even sure I would know what to type in for this kind of project. 

I always start with a pen and paper to make a list of known requirements for any piece.  For you (based on your post) these would include storage for other electronic gear, hold a TV of a size you choose, and perhaps fit a particular space.  From there, I would draw a couple rough sketches that contain your requirements until I had a basic design that I liked.

For me, I would next go to Sketchup to put the piece to scale and then start tweaking things until I thought I had what I was looking for.  Even though I nearly always go to you for my IT needs, I'd be happy to help you with the Sketchup stuff..

Just to add one more consideration for you, you could also consider a cabinet that the TV lowers into when you don't want to see the TV..  The hardware for these has really gotten reasonable.  If you're considering this, some of your needed dimensions will come from that hardware.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coop said:

Seriously though, the tv will be wall mount and I guess the cabinet below should be equally as wide or more so? 

I think you can really get away with any width you want that best fits the room.  I think there are some obvious limits but, I wouldn't feel constrained by "rules" since it's being designed for a specific space.

• Like 1