Title of the document

Vacuum hose flexibility and twisting issue

TDeal

I have previously used a reel from FastCap (picture attached) for my shop vacuum hose. It works OK and allows me to reach all areas of my 20x30 shop, but is kind of a hassle dragging the hose around without going over things like the router table, assembly table, etc. That is compounded by the fact that the (flexible but stiff) hose wants to do a "spiral twist" as it comes off the reel. I recently made an 8 foot boom and relocated the hose to it, having about 8 -10 feet of hose coiled onto the end of the boom. That is a little more convenient, but still the twist issue is a problem. I ordered a swivel from Rockler hoping it - between the hose and the nozzle would help, but the fittings don't mesh. Any suggestions, or a source for a more flexible 2 1/2" diameter hose that (ideally) doesn't have the twist issue would be appreciated.

Additional info - my shop vac is mounted to a cart with a ClearVue CV06 Mini cyclone which I have used to roll around as needed. That worked, but due to space constraints that isn't very convenient. (Right now just trying the boom, I have the hose still one length from the nozzle all the way back to the vacuum. Should I decide to make it permanent I suppose I might add a swivel at the end of the boom to allow the hose to twist as it uncoils, which may help some.)  I have a dust collector with 4" hose that I move from machine to machine for the "heavy lifting."

IMG_6860.JPG

I find it strange but not doubting you, that there is twist coming off of a reel. It shouldn’t be any different than a water hose rolling off of a reel. Now if it’s just coiled over a rack or in your case, the boom and off loaded, I can see the problem. On the reel, did it matter if some of the hose was still coiled around it as opposed to completely removing the full length, not that it should matter? 

I noticed some of this "twist" issue with the longer hoses, it is a pain in the back side and can be worse when winding the hose back up.

I went to drops off of my dust collector with shorter hoses just hung on a hook and it seems to work much better.  I've moved the shop vac out of my shop completely and extra space is a good thing!

As for the fittings, I think Dust Right (Rockler?) has some fittings that may work for you as well?  I haven't used them so, will let the others chime in on those.

22 hours ago, TDeal said:

I recently made an 8 foot boom and relocated the hose to it, having about 8 -10 feet of hose coiled onto the end of the boom. That is a little more convenient, but still the twist issue is a problem.

Do you have any pictures?  I use a 30' long vac hose in my shop and it twists and kinks as well, it is irritating.  One of the problems is, that it is a cheap hose,  but I haven't found (or looked that hard) for a better one. 

• 1 month later...

Update: I had tried the swivel fitting from Rockler but it didn't  fit the fitting on my hose. I found a swivel at Woodcraft that seems to have solved the problem. I also picked up a more flexible hose at Woodcraft that is easier to handle and hang on the boom than the shop vac hose that I was using. It's working out well, now. More convenient that the roll around shop vac cart I was using.

• Like 1