Title of the document

2022 garage shop updates …

Bushwacked

3 hours ago, Coop said:

Iran an 8” wide board thru the drum sander and dust went everywhere then I remembered the blast gate! 😀 I’m going to have to get use to using those things! At least there is an immediate reminder. Dc system worked great. 

Cool..  

Sanding generates a great deal of dust which is probably where my concern was..

got the dust collector mounted and everything ... did a noise test and daaaaamn this thing got louder is seems. Wife heard it and threw a fit about pissing the neighbors off. Soooo now I am trying to figure out a way to decrease the noise of the outside vent. Anyone got any ideas on muffling the sound?

I found this ... https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/muffler.php Not quite sure what the final product should look like since none of the pictures show up and some of the materials I am not familiar with.

I will go grab pictures of it in a little bit, forgot to get them after installing it.

Edited by Bushwacked

I did just stumble upon this ... 

Which leaves me with a couple questions ...

How is he cleaning out his fine dust? Assuming after a year or so it would need some cleaning?? Just unscrew from wall and clean?

What is that foam stuff he is using? Standard Insulation panels?

Would adding 3/4 ply instead of the 1/8 hardboard from what it looks like add even more noise blockage?

Not sure what type of outdoor paint/protection would be needed to stop rotting from the elements?

You have lots of questions in there...lol. I was surprised that the noise outside was even an issue!

35 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

Here’s the motor mounted … 

This might be a good place to start with some noise reduction.  I'd try some rubber feet under the motor to cut down on some of the vibration noise.

2 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

How is he cleaning out his fine dust? Assuming after a year or so it would need some cleaning?? Just unscrew from wall and clean?

What is that foam stuff he is using? Standard Insulation panels?

Would adding 3/4 ply instead of the 1/8 hardboard from what it looks like add even more noise blockage?

Not sure what type of outdoor paint/protection would be needed to stop rotting from the elements?

Yea, the cleaning part baffles me as well.  He could have left that in the shop if that's what he was going to do!

The foam looks like insulation sheets to me

Yes, the 3/4 would cause more noise reduction but, come with a weight cost.  

Paint - I'd start with a marine ply first if you're going this route.  From there, the same paint you used on your house.

7 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

I found this ... https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/muffler.php Not quite sure what the final product should look like since none of the pictures show up and some of the materials I am not familiar with.

Bill Pentz is the "go to" source on DC!

• Like 1

Not to hj your thread but just a pointer shared by someone on another site. Where by hose enters the drum from the piping, they suggested that I ease the bend with a 45* ell. I did and it increased my velocity to 40.1 mph at the drum sander. I was amazed at how much a $3 part improved it..

418C49C8-E871-485D-98E3-85ED2CF177A4.thumb.jpeg.9ae82ad319c973631ca6882d90510f17.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Coop said:

Not to hj your thread but just a pointer shared by someone on another site. Where by hose enters the drum from the piping, they suggested that I ease the bend with a 45* ell. I did and it increased my velocity to 40.1 mph at the drum sander. I was amazed at how much a $3 part improved it..

418C49C8-E871-485D-98E3-85ED2CF177A4.thumb.jpeg.9ae82ad319c973631ca6882d90510f17.jpeg

Great tip for people coop! Any reason you didn’t add in the cyclone attachment before the barrel? 

5 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Great tip for people coop! Any reason you didn’t add in the cyclone attachment before the barrel? 

lol..  Hearing protection is required (technically) at 85dbs..  Of course mine is too loud as well but, I haven't fixed it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

true, just thought it was blocking out more dbs ... have you thought about finishing it out or you good with how it is now?

Finishing it has been on my to do list since I built it.  Just always seems to get bumped off of the agenda

• Like 1

Got some more work done on it … 

0B19A9DF-D698-448D-8ED9-5DD2068BAA35.thumb.jpeg.c5e17cc9959cfdfaf1d820cbd878d6e0.jpeg

0E8A1B37-A582-4EBA-A5AE-DB655BF75DA4.thumb.jpeg.701419c7059ee2cab57a78422f36cbff.jpeg

1BF220B9-75FD-40F6-AB29-F9BE15C94125.thumb.jpeg.615391475dbbeb16325cbb9e1f5212ca.jpeg

then started on my super silencer box build 🤣 .... It had been so long since I worked with HD 2x6 pine, cant say I missed it. cupped/twisted/garbage and those were the straight ones haha. I had 1 board, THANKFULLY, I took to the bandsaw after it gave me some issue on the tablesaw that blew apart the last 6-8 inches there was so much stress. Put them back together after that, there was like a 3" gap in the widest middle part of the boards

E615AEF5-1164-4C56-9E19-A1A25DED236F.thumb.jpeg.a64e9e5b67b14563340f8f90a497b0fa.jpeg

without dust collection it’s such a dang mess after just a little cutting. It’s crazy!! 

Edited by Bushwacked
  • Like 3

Also .. talked to my bro in law about noise reduction ideas … he thought the powerful blower might blow apart the more porous foam type panels. He thought maybe the ceiling tiles might be better. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Ceilings-2-ft-x-4-ft-Radar-Basic-White-Square-Edge-Lay-In-Ceiling-Tile-carton-of-8-64-sq-ft-R2310/203628901

858C1617-C5C1-46D2-8884-BDD3C469406A.thumb.jpeg.aaf5ecc640131bf4592048166b306b54.jpeg

something like those and just double them up. the NRC is 55 supposed to reduce by 50% ish which should be good enough I think. 

7 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

Also .. talked to my bro in law about noise reduction ideas … he thought the powerful blower might blow apart the more porous foam type panels. He thought maybe the ceiling tiles might be better. 

https://www.homedepot.com/p/USG-Ceilings-2-ft-x-4-ft-Radar-Basic-White-Square-Edge-Lay-In-Ceiling-Tile-carton-of-8-64-sq-ft-R2310/203628901

I don't think it pushes hard enough to hurt the rigid insulation.  If you're really concerned with it, line the inside with sound board as well.  For the record, this is what I used to sound proof my recording studio.  You can get it at the big box store.  It's essentially shredded sugar cane that's glued back into sheets.  Cheap and just held in with some roofing nails.

I saw this on one of the groups I follow..  I haven't seen it explained yet but, it sure looks like a muffler and I thought about your struggles..  There's certainly some parts of this system I don't like but, that part caught my eye..

1932227453_Muffler.thumb.jpg.a3c009d78ea7bb038826c9c9b4c4dade.jpg

Update..  It is a silencer made by AC Infinity..  https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Reduction-Hydroponics-Ventilation/dp/B0829F2VXP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3P7YSVBLZV7O6&keywords=ac+infinity+silencer&qid=1645007602&sprefix=AC+Infinity+s%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-2

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kev said:

I saw this on one of the groups I follow..  I haven't seen it explained yet but, it sure looks like a muffler and I thought about your struggles..  There's certainly some parts of this system I don't like but, that part caught my eye..

1932227453_Muffler.thumb.jpg.a3c009d78ea7bb038826c9c9b4c4dade.jpg

Update..  It is a silencer made by AC Infinity..  https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-Reduction-Hydroponics-Ventilation/dp/B0829F2VXP/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3P7YSVBLZV7O6&keywords=ac+infinity+silencer&qid=1645007602&sprefix=AC+Infinity+s%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-2

oh awesome! Definitely will be looking into this once I get my box built .. 

So dumb sound question ... IF this thing reduces sound by 50% supposedly, and those tiles I linked above reduce by 50% as well ... is it safe to say I could, in theory, reduce the sound by 75% with both?

6 hours ago, Bushwacked said:

oh awesome! Definitely will be looking into this once I get my box built .. 

So dumb sound question ... IF this thing reduces sound by 50% supposedly, and those tiles I linked above reduce by 50% as well ... is it safe to say I could, in theory, reduce the sound by 75% with both?

There's a lot of science behind sound proofing.  While your theory appears solid, that's not quite how it works.  The 2 items together will do better but, not my those numbers.

4 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Ridged foam will be stronger than ceiling tiles.  Your never going to reduce sound to nothing.  Sound will reverberate off flat surfaces, which is why music studios and other sound proof rooms have the spike foam on the walls.  In your box you may want to enclose it all with 1/4” ply and then use spray foam.  

I was able to do pretty well in my studio.  The sounds you're talking about were actually the easiest to control.  These were the mid to high frequency sounds and they were actually controlled with the construction of the walls.  In my case, each opposing wall was layered slightly differently because this also helped.  On one wall I would do a layer of soundboard, a lathing strip (to create an air space) and then a layer of 5/8 drywall.  On the opposite wall, it would be a double 5/8" drywall with the lathing strip between.

The foam you're referring to is for the purpose you reference but, not for the purposes of sound proofing.  It's to control those frequencies that cause feedback on microphones.  I have truck loads of Auralex foam in my studio and it works well to cut down on the natural reverb in a room.  They also make it in decorative forms for those of you with theatre rooms that would like a little better audio quality.

One last item but, I don't thing this is really an issue for BW.  Low frequencies are not touched by the foam!  The only thing that deadened that was the way the walls were layered in my studio.  My studio was ~15' from my house.  My wife would tell me if she turned the TV off and make the house quiet, she could hear the kick drum and sometimes the bass guitar but, that was it.

Sorry for being long winded..  Probably more info than anyone really wanted...lol

11 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Ridged foam will be stronger than ceiling tiles.  Your never going to reduce sound to nothing.  Sound will reverberate off flat surfaces, which is why music studios and other sound proof rooms have the spike foam on the walls.  In your box you may want to enclose it all with 1/4” ply and then use spray foam.  

what rigid foam are you talking about? It will be enclosed with 3/4 ply ... its gonna be a heavy B! 

6 hours ago, Kev said:

There's a lot of science behind sound proofing.  While your theory appears solid, that's not quite how it works.  The 2 items together will do better but, not my those numbers.

I was able to do pretty well in my studio.  The sounds you're talking about were actually the easiest to control.  These were the mid to high frequency sounds and they were actually controlled with the construction of the walls.  In my case, each opposing wall was layered slightly differently because this also helped.  On one wall I would do a layer of soundboard, a lathing strip (to create an air space) and then a layer of 5/8 drywall.  On the opposite wall, it would be a double 5/8" drywall with the lathing strip between.

The foam you're referring to is for the purpose you reference but, not for the purposes of sound proofing.  It's to control those frequencies that cause feedback on microphones.  I have truck loads of Auralex foam in my studio and it works well to cut down on the natural reverb in a room.  They also make it in decorative forms for those of you with theatre rooms that would like a little better audio quality.

One last item but, I don't thing this is really an issue for BW.  Low frequencies are not touched by the foam!  The only thing that deadened that was the way the walls were layered in my studio.  My studio was ~15' from my house.  My wife would tell me if she turned the TV off and make the house quiet, she could hear the kick drum and sometimes the bass guitar but, that was it.

Sorry for being long winded..  Probably more info than anyone really wanted...lol

haha all good, I like when you get on a roll and I get some paragraphs out of you ... always learn something.

I was thinking about doing a double layer with a gap in the middle with those tiles as well to possibly make it even better. Hopefully will have a good amount of it finished up tomorrow to hopefully get a test on it

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bushwacked said:

what rigid foam are you talking about? It will be enclosed with 3/4 ply ... its gonna be a heavy B! 

haha all good, I like when you get on a roll and I get some paragraphs out of you ... always learn something.

I was thinking about doing a double layer with a gap in the middle with those tiles as well to possibly make it even better. Hopefully will have a good amount of it finished up tomorrow to hopefully get a test on it

You were talking about ceiling tiles, rigid foam boards (insulation) will be better.  I would enclose with 1/4” ply and ridged foam board.