Title of the document

How to vent DC outside?

Bushwacked

Ok started doing a little pre work on the plan to vent the DC outside … 

so this corner is where I am planning to move the DC and vent from there to the outside behind it… 

902E667C-EE43-4695-86B6-23946BC2DC33.thumb.jpeg.1062ed2a28daf7936d28b2ab3c2ca442.jpeg

it was tough to get a better pic at the moment … but the edge of the garage ceiling is those back 2 squares (blue squiggles). The outside soffit vents are behind that where it shrinks down to like maybe 4” high (red circles) … and then another foot or so deep back there. 

B7F8AE06-D5C7-4F60-9C69-7A3B5889895C.thumb.jpeg.84c60c71b4a91d3e6b543ede97eeac84.jpeg.c960591496ce502909c8b88a36dd3a1e.jpeg

my main thing is how am I going to get a hose back there? I was thinking of a reducer from 6” to 4” basically righter in the ceiling and then hopefully squeezing a 4” hose through all that without it ripping on the roof nails. 

then my next question is if that is doable how do I connect to the vent so I know it doesn’t wiggle loose and just vent in the attic … 

Edited by Bushwacked

Is there no way you can vent thru the wall? Probably a silly question as I’m sure you have thought this through. As you are aware, I am apprenticing my way thru a hard pipe as well but I question the reduction from 6” to 4”. Hopefully you/we get a more knowledgeable answer from those better equipped  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Coop said:

Is there no way you can vent thru the wall? Probably a silly question as I’m sure you have thought this through. As you are aware, I am apprenticing my way thru a hard pipe as well but I question the reduction from 6” to 4”. Hopefully you/we get a more knowledgeable answer from those better equipped  

well, I could go through the wall, however, there is brick on the other side and I would really prefer not to put a massive hole in the brick if not needed.

Let me see if I’m following this.  You don’t want to drill through the brick which isn’t hard, but I get it.  So you are thinking of ducting up through the ceiling and out the soffit.  I would run 6” pipe as far as you can and at the soffit, I would put a reduced wye fitting and cap 1 end.  I believe you want to eliminate 90* elbows, just like when going to a machine.  You may need to add a short length of straight pipe.  You may also need a cap to keep birds out, which may cause a back up.  

Looking at the picture again, is the space next to the garage door brick or something else?  Cause that may be a better option than going up.  Like coop mentioned you could direct a dryer vent to the side.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Coop said:

If you have the height in the room where the dc system will be and you are going to dump outside, that’s what I would do. No different than an exhaust for a clothes dryer. Do you have neighbors close by? 

hmmmm, valid point ... the neighbors fence to the side is about 20' away and the fence to the back is about 40' away 

1 minute ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Let me see if I’m following this.  You don’t want to drill through the brick which isn’t hard, but I get it.  So you are thinking of ducting up through the ceiling and out the soffit.  I would run 6” pipe as far as you can and at the soffit, I would put a reduced wye fitting and cap 1 end.  I believe you want to eliminate 90* elbows, just like when going to a machine.  You may need to add a short length of straight pipe.  You may also need a cap to keep birds out, which may cause a back up.  

correct ... the total run is maybe like 6'-8' or so, not super long. With probably 3' or so of that being from the dust deputy to the ceiling. 

Do you have it set up already in your shop?  Can you move to your driveway to run a quick test?  Trying to avoid a mess.  Here is the test I would run, I would plane a board and have pipe from tool to DC and then have a pipe going vertical (roughly same length as total run needed) to see if going up through the ceiling is even possible before cutting holes in the ceiling and/or soffit.  In order to get up to attic, your going to need a 90* at the DC.  If this doesn’t work, drilling through brick may be only option. 

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Do you have it set up already in your shop?  Can you move to your driveway to run a quick test?  Trying to avoid a mess.  Here is the test I would run, I would plane a board and have pipe from tool to DC and then have a pipe going vertical (roughly same length as total run needed) to see if going up through the ceiling is even possible before cutting holes in the ceiling and/or soffit.  In order to get up to attic, your going to need a 90* at the DC.  If this doesn’t work, drilling through brick may be only option. 

I have not actually started moving things and setting it all up yet. I just got in all the pieces I needed this week, and am finishing up a project this week. Was going to probably start this over the weekend or early next week

5 minutes ago, Bushwacked said:

I have not actually started moving things and setting it all up yet. I just got in all the pieces I needed this week, and am finishing up a project this week. Was going to probably start this over the weekend or early next week

Again, if it was me, I would try simulating before I cut any holes.