Title of the document

Floor Sweeps

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by tmize

I do a lot of hand planing so do y’all think a 4” floor sweep would be okay for this? I would need have to be more careful than now so to not suck up screws or something. Also any dust collection tips would be greatly appreciated as most the dc talk goes over my head. Just simple tips as I’ve never had one before. I’m planning on doing 4” pvc trunk line with drops at router table boush benchtop, table saw,bandsaw compound miter saw,bench top drill press, and soon a hcm. That should be all for a very long time if not forever. I take me planer outside and blow chips in the yard.

Follow up posts

1) It ultimately starts with the dust collector itself.

A couple rules of thumb that have served me well.

1.  Run the largest main trunk as the dust collector allows.
2.  Don't reduce to 4" (or the port size of the machine) until close to the machine
3.  Reduce or eliminate any turns when possible
4.  No 90s or Ts.  Use sweeping 45s when you have to turn.

Depending on the DC, you should be able to run your planer as well

Floor sweep - Again, really depends on the DC.  I wouldn't want to do this without a cyclone where the large chips are separated.  If that's in place and you have enough suction - either decent HP on the machine or, close to the machine - you should be good.  I've noticed that some of these come with a screen in them..  Yea, cut that out as your chips will clog that up in a hurry!

Just my 2 worth and I hope it helps!

2) Dont copy my system if you want good advice! I went with 90s and ts everywhere, but hey I was on a budget.  

As far as picking screws up, they typically weigh to much vs the surface area to be sucked up. Even in very large dc systems that is true. With a floor sweep coming off a 4" pipe i would think that you would never be able to get a screw to go up it, just more surface area with the sweep area that the 4" wouldn't have enough suck. Not that a 4" pipe wouldn't work well for a sweep sucking up chips and dust.

In my system even chunks that break off while milling get halfway up the pipe and rattle around. Gets annoying and I'll pop the hose off quick and let them fall to the ground with the system off.

3) I believe some people put magnets at their floor sweeps to catch the screws. Might want to glue some strong magnets to the floor sweep.

4) I don't now, nor ever have, had a floor sweep.  That is an awesome idea and belongs in our reference material section!  woodenskye

5) Thanks everyone for the good info. I’m guess hand plane shaving would clog it without running a separator which I’m not planning on. Magnet is a good idea tho. Nearly all the the dust made at my bench is from a handsaw so that lil bit wouldn’t be worth the effort.

6 Comment Added in the DC section.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus