Title of the document

Bench Caddy

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by tmize

I’ll admit it I’m not the most organized person when I’m in the middle of a project. So I’m looking at building something to where when I’m at the bench working I have somewhere to safely lay my chisels,marking knives,gauges,squares and so on from rolling on to the floor. I already have a small tool rack mounted along the back of the bench for saws an plane screwdrivers. It gets in the way sometimes so I don’t want make it longer. These will just be as I need them so once the task is done I turn around and put them away in my tool cabinet behind me. Any ideas?

Follow up posts

1) I would think a tray with magnets would be an idea. The magnets will keep the tools in place so edges don't get damaged. Not knowing how far your tool cabinet is from the bench, you could load up what you need to eliminate going back and forth. You could also mount 1 of the magnetic strips, like people use for kitchen knives to the leg of you bench, this would keep them nearby and out of the way.

2) This is actually one of the reasons that I like the split top. I have it in a bench as well as my OF table which used to be my primary work location. Of course, I also have the tool wall behind the Roubo where everything has a home.

Assuming your question comes from a place where these thing don't work for you ore aren't feasible, how about a roll around cabinet dedicated to this type of storage? It could have a chisel rack, plane till, etc. and the drawer space would be great for fastener storage and other objects that you use on most projects?

3) Well this is more of a temp fix. I’m planning on building bench crafted classic Roubo this spring/summer. This should help some of my problem that my bench now is just under 6’. So when I’m doing joinery with my bench top moxon I run out of room on my top. My main handtool cabinet is directly behind me it’s a chest of drawer type and my hand saws are on the wall to the left of the bench. The plan is once I get the Roubo done it will replace the location my bench is now and the old one will go behind it along the wall and move the miter saw bench somewhere. So I’m a just need a box with some dividers in it to safely lay chisels off to the side to protect the edges. Like when I’m dovetailing I normally have 3 to 4 chisels an two marking gauges an knife an roll of green tape. 

I’m in a basement shop an still have lil ones so I like having all my tools away in drawers or cabinets so I can control rust with silicone bags. By the way those bags work very well even in Alabama summers. In the 4 yrs we have been no rust on any tools in my cabinets.

4) I live in a fairly dry climate and still use those descent pouches.  Just a little extra piece of mind!

Looking forward to watching the bench build!  I highly recommend some storage in the lower area.  I've built 3 of them with the lower storage and love it!  Obviously, it can be designed to fit your needs..

5) I’ll definitely journal it. It the simple version of the split top. With leg vise an plane stop. It’s actually very similar construction to your sons bench.

A1626F33-F08E-4205-A4BA-9BC701BB3669.png

6) Lots of opportunity for storage under it.. I like it though!

7) I can’t help you with ideas but you helped me with one. Where do you get the silicone pouches?

Here you go 
www.amazon.com/Wisedry-Rechargeable-Desiccant-Microwave-Reactivated/dp/B0781BR7V7/ref=mp_s_a_1_19?keywords=safe+silicon+packets&qid=1575944890&sr=8-19

9) Yea I’ll will add some kind of storage under it. The only thing I don’t like about the bench I have now is I can’t use hold downs but in a few spots due to the cabinet base under it. I built it like a kitchen cabinet with a 2 1/2” thick top. It doesn’t move even under heavy planing.

10) tmize, thanks for the link. It says 2.2 lb. bags. Do you divide these into individual bags?

11) I can’t remember what sizes I have but if you will look in the info section it tells you the sq inches it will protect. I normally oversize the area I’m trying to cover. The reason I like these is about once a year you can throw it in the microwave and dry them back out and reuse them over an over. It comes with instruction also that tell you all about how.

www.amazon.com/Desiccant-Odorless-Non-Toxic-Moisture-Absorbing/dp/B07HRNRNM6/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?keywords=desiccant+packets&qid=1575947074&sprefix=desiccant&sr=8-12
These would be all you need in a normal drawer size 20”x20”

12) So, word to the wise..  Decide on your hold fasts before you design your storage as they can be different lengths and have different sized heads.  When I built my Roubo, I had a couple of Rockler hold fasts and then switched to Gramercy.  They do not fit nicely in the leg holes on the bench and it drives my OCD nuts!

13) Yea I’ll buy new hold fast before I drill holes in the top for sure

14) I might not have been clear..  More important to know what you're going to use before designing the under storage for clearance reasons..

15) It was clear as a bell. It just reminded me I need a good set of holdfast. I have the blue rockler set now an they are ok but I know their is better sets out there. Considering the bench I’m planning on building only has a leg vise I’ll need a good set of them. 

Just to derail the topic more since it’s my thread I can do that. I’ve always heard the gramercy ones are great. Has anyone used the crucible ones bench crafted sales. Since I’m ordering bench hardware from them I thought about just getting the holdfast to. I maybe wrong but I think they are 1” holes tho?

16) I have 2 sets of the Gramercy ones and haven't tried the Crucible ones..  Interested to hear reviews!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus