Title of the document

Around The House Projects

Chet

Submitted on the hold forum by tmize

It’s not “fine” woodworking but I do a lot of diy household decor projects. To me woodworking can’t all be fine furniture a shop builds they just a part of it. I see a lot of people do picture frames but that’s about it. What I don’t see is other types of projects. I collect user grade hand planes my wife collects mass produced pottery from this one brand and she loves displaying around the house so I build a lot of shelves or display type pieces in between furniture or during them as the need arises. So anyone who cares to show off just random stuff you have built. To me woodworking can’t all be fine furniture a shop builds they just a part of it. 
EC3870B5-99C4-4933-B463-E5C9B1247E00.jpeg    6C324DBF-A7D9-4631-AF32-E9E518A88B43.jpeg  

F1AB6336-BDA2-4214-A25D-41ACC77BE103.jpeg    1DE6DED8-A774-4D00-B72A-1FDF37679574.jpeg

8B2039E6-49B4-4386-B3C0-A633CD69CE63.jpeg    20D39516-09DE-447B-BCAE-C135B7256968.jpeg 

BEF87996-4EE7-4494-9187-83448B22D8AA.jpeg

Follow up posts

1) Awesome stuff!

I think we all build stuff that fall into this category. I did the glove shelf last year as well as table lazy Susans and cutting boards. There was also the floating shelves from a couple years ago.

In the end, you still apply the same techniques as you would a piece of "fine furniture", it's just the piece serves more of a utility purpose.

2) Exactly kev it’s these small utilitarian projects that rarely get shared that I was trying to bring light to. The practice squad never gets interviews or the trophy ceremony but they are what help to make first string so great.

3) Some good stuff there. I know that at least in my case this is the type of project that got me started on this expensive hobby.

4) Good work. Some of the most satisfying projects are the most utilitarian in my opinion.

5) Yes same here. Started with a napkin holder for the kitchen table. Just a small tray that I screwed together with wood I found at work. Thousands of dollars later I’m still building trays and stuff but without all the screws

6) The good part about projects like these is that I try and incorporate my fine Woodworking techniques into these for practice. The bad part is that it takes longer than it should. Great topic tmize.

7) Coop, did you use a normal mortise and tenon joint or a sliding dovetail when you attached the stripper pole to the floor? 

8) Hell, at my age or any age, I only wish! 

9) These projects is what it’s all about. Sense of pride where ever you look around your house. I think us woodworkers are wired a lil different than the average folk

10) I agree wholeheartedly with you Jamie. Use to be the man would live in the house he built by hand to the best of his abilities. The the house was his testament to his craftsmanship. Now of day us woodworker show our craftsmanship thru the furnishment thru out our home. I do dream of building my own house or day but I still will not do everything to build it. My wife couldn’t stand to wait that long to move in

11) Sweet so when I come around for a cuppa you have it sorted for a brew. 

PS...Down here in NZ there are two types of wood workers. Builders and Joiners. Builders build houses and are for the most part that I have seen rough as fark. with the attitude that she'll be right because any imperfection is covered up. 

Not the builders of yesterday back in the early part of last century when the builders then must have been part joiner.

Because now if you want a really well constructed house where the wood fits perfectly and is super well made. You need to employ both. Because a joiner is a fine woods craftsman. And neither can do the others job. 

But as I am finding. Being a builder doesn't take a lot of skill. Its a lot like building a model airplane all you have to do is follow the plan and stick to the rules. 
All the wood frames come pre built these days, so its just a matter of erecting them in the right order and Bobs your aunties live in lover.

So framers do the framing, the builder does the foundations and helps lay the concrete or rib raft floor, piles etc...Plumbers do the drainage, the glass people do the windows, sparkies do the wires, carpet layers the floor coverings, curtain hangers, painter/decorator, roofer the roof. Builders don't do much. Brickies do the walls if it has bricks, or some other crafts man does the outside wall covering. Oh and plasters or gib stoppers they come in and make the drywall all smooth. 

A full on builder that does the lots is a thing of the past.

12) “Bob’s your aunties live in lover”? Ok, translate!

13) Function first, beauty second. Look at Shaker. Function first, beauty second.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus