Title of the document

Thoughts on project and lumber needed

Woodenskye (Bryan)

I am looking at making a drop box that will reside outside and be subject to the elements.  I looked at metal cabinets, repurposing a mailbox and just nothing has the look or function I want.  

I am not going to spend the money on marine grade plywood, so what is the best wood that will hold up to the weather and the sun?  How would you finish (paint or stain)?  Has anybody ever added a digital lock, cause it needs to be secured?  What type of hardware (hinges and pulls)?  I am sure gate hardware would work, but the dimensions in my head are 16” (t) X 12-14” (w) and 6” (d).  

Please through out any ideas.

7 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

I am looking at making a drop box that will reside outside and be subject to the elements.  I looked at metal cabinets, repurposing a mailbox and just nothing has the look or function I want.  

I am not going to spend the money on marine grade plywood, so what is the best wood that will hold up to the weather and the sun?  How would you finish (paint or stain)?  Has anybody ever added a digital lock, cause it needs to be secured?  What type of hardware (hinges and pulls)?  I am sure gate hardware would work, but the dimensions in my head are 16” (t) X 12-14” (w) and 6” (d).  

Please through out any ideas.

This is interesting!

I'll just toss some suggestions out here, take what you need/want...

Any reason to not build it like a small pole building?  Ply sides covered in thin metal in a color of your choice.  You can order this cut to length within 1/2".  Cutting it is fairly simple with a circular saw, just flip the blade backwards.  Note:  It's loud, wear hearing protection!

Would need more details around the "clock"..  Inside behind some Plexiglas?

Hardware is tricky as well..  I wouldn't put expensive hinges on it and would just maintain them as required.  You didn't mention anything around latches and locking but, that's probably not my best subject either...lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kev said:

This is interesting!

I'll just toss some suggestions out here, take what you need/want...

Any reason to not build it like a small pole building?  Ply sides covered in thin metal in a color of your choice.  You can order this cut to length within 1/2".  Cutting it is fairly simple with a circular saw, just flip the blade backwards.  Note:  It's loud, wear hearing protection!

Would need more details around the "clock"..  Inside behind some Plexiglas?

Hardware is tricky as well..  I wouldn't put expensive hinges on it and would just maintain them as required.  You didn't mention anything around latches and locking but, that's probably not my best subject either...lol

Skinning the cabinet/box in metal is a good idea, i do have a couple pieces of plastic roof panels maybe that could work.  I was thinking originally that a basic piano hinge would work.  

Not sure what you mean by clock?  I mentioned a digital lock like you can put on a front door, but they have for cabinets, just not sure if they are easy to install.

35 minutes ago, Coop said:

What is a drop box? 

Coop, a drop box is where a person can leave something at a business and is secure until the business can pick up the item to work on.  Let’s say you were going to drop off your car for service late at night, the shop isn’t open, so you drop your keys in the box and then the shop opens next morning to get your keys and begin the work.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Skinning the cabinet/box in metal is a good idea, i do have a couple pieces of plastic roof panels maybe that could work.  I was thinking originally that a basic piano hinge would work.  

Not sure what you mean by clock?  I mentioned a digital lock like you can put on a front door, but they have for cabinets, just not sure if they are easy to install.

I must have read that wrong..  I don't have many ideas about a digital lock..  I would imagine it would need a power source.  I know my gun safe has one but, I don't know how readily available they are plus the size could be problematic for your project since it's not very big.  

As for the hinge, I don't have anything to back this up but, I would think that fewer moving parts would require less maintenance?  The positive side to the piano hinge is that it's stainless and less affected by the elements.  I think paint and dry lube here will be your friend.

2 hours ago, Coop said:

I have done business with a location that uses a key to get in. There is a combo lock that houses a key to the door. Punch in the combination and it opens to reveal the key. 

Yes,that is a traditional lock box.  Realtors use them all the time, problem is for a quality 1, they are $30, plus you have to rely on the person putting back.  I think I may have figured out what I’m going to do, I may buy a safe, or I found a large cash box both have a digital lock (keypad) and metal construction.