Title of the document

Cradle

Kev

Calling it quits for the day!  Got the base dry fit and looking fairly well!

I wasn't able to get the router in there to cut the mortises so, I drilled out the bulk with a 1" Forstner bit and then chiseled out the rest of the waste.  The big tenons were cut at the table saw..

IMG_1525.thumb.jpeg.76cac6f4fce71f77a4140376a6cf4693.jpeg

Still need to round off the tops of the legs, drill the holes for the dowel, and round over the stretcher before the glue up..  

This one is getting close!  I spent quite a few hours today doing some final sanding on the cradle as well..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Coop said:

Will the bed be stationary or will it rock? In your last pic, I see a rounded notch that looks it might be there to allow it to rock? 

Looking back, I don’t see a dowel of sorts on the cradle itself so, I guess not on the rocking.

Yes, it will rock on a dowel..  I haven't added the dowel to the cradle yet.  I wanted to complete the base so that I could appropriately locate that dowel position.

• Thanks 1

I was able to use the template I made to locate the hole for the dowel and ensure that it would swing properly..  I epoxied these in very early this morning which allowed me this test fit.  While those dowels were curing, I also installed all of the 1/4" square plugs.  These were a pain in the backside because they're so tiny..

IMG_1527.thumb.jpeg.a40a9d9a10a86823e0b453aaaea44460.jpeg

• Like 2

Forgot to post the pic of one of the corners with the plugs in..  This is post finish but, you get the idea..

All the finish is on, thanks to my wife for lending a hand!  I'll post more pics later after the finish is somewhat cured..IMG_1529.thumb.jpeg.f1c95df7eb79c5850d942d62391e5237.jpeg

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Spanky said:

Kev the cradle looks great..... I don't know if its the pic but my tiger hard maple don't look like it has much tiger in it.

It's the pic..  I was amazed at the amount of figure in the maple!  The fact that they're broken in to slats at 1 1/4" doesn't help either even though they're grain matched across the cradle. In all honesty, I was way more impressed with the maple than anything I brought home. 

Maybe these pics will help a little..

IMG_1530.thumb.jpeg.26181a576d999993b977b59fe399be25.jpegIMG_1531.thumb.jpeg.90de9af22a773beb9510c036c7720e4c.jpeg

• Like 3

Just now, Coop said:

A heirloom for generations to follow! My twin, 20 yo grandkids will eventually need something similar to this and the changing table and I hope that I am still capable of reaching back and borrowing your ideas. 

Remind me and I'll send you the manufactured plans I worked from as well as my drawings and changes..  there's still a few things I'd do much differently!

• Thanks 1

Here's a few better pictures after I moved it this morning..  This one has the mattress in it..IMG_0271.thumb.JPG.1d1efde05349b37c1506dd7623c8f205.JPG

I need to get my dusty hand prints off of this one and retake the picture but, here's a close up of how the cradle sits in the legs.

IMG_0268.thumb.JPG.e879f1a9dbc95c8cd86eb434e185838c.JPG

And, here's the inside without the mattress in it..

IMG_0269.thumb.JPG.507eb1cfcebf8b11b9f1c8a6ce4da72e.JPG

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 6:27 AM, Kev said:

First video for this project will drop on Saturday..  That's when I'll move this piece to the public forum..

Official due date for the baby is May 13th.

uhhh you tell momma to hold on 2 more days!! May 15th is the better day to be born ... just sayin 🙂

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Woodenskye (Bryan) said:

Kev was the dog walking around at the beginning a German Shepherd or a mix?  Good video as usual.

She's a mutt from the pound..  My wife has found a couple breeds that really resemble her but, we honestly have no idea.  I do know that she's really smart!  Sometimes too smart!