Title of the document

Cradle

Kev

Apologies for not posting shop stuff in a couple days, we have good friends visiting from out of town which chews up quite a bit of time.

The bonus side is that he's a fellow woodworker so, we did get a jump on the cradle!  No specific plans in mind but, I do have the mattress and a purchased set of plans to help me with some of the dimensions I didn't know (spacing of the slats, mattress size,  etc)..

We did some resawing of the walnut I got from @Spankyfor some book-matched end and got those glued up.  We also rough milled the stretchers between the panels and called it quits for a great dinner and some visiting time.

I'll post some pictures of the progress tomorrow when we take the panels out of clamps.

Unfortunately, I don't have enough walnut to account for the legs that I want to do so I'll need to make a run in the morning.  I think I have everything else on hand.  Unfortunately, we're under a winter advisory so, this trip might be tricky...lol

I will say that it was quite a pleasure to have some help in the shop!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Company in the shop as well as help! 

My brother, who lives 60 miles from me on the north side of town, is also a woodworker that likes to build custom cabinets as well as furniture for the rich ladies close to his neighborhood. Occasionally he will need a hand on some of the larger pieces and I will drive out for the day. It is kind of nice to have someone to talk to and share ideas with. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Coop said:

Company in the shop as well as help! 

My brother, who lives 60 miles from me on the north side of town, is also a woodworker that likes to build custom cabinets as well as furniture for the rich ladies close to his neighborhood. Occasionally he will need a hand on some of the larger pieces and I will drive out for the day. It is kind of nice to have someone to talk to and share ideas with. 

Yea, I was horrible about pictures today as we made some small steps..  Mostly some milling and a little bit of template cutting but, nothing major..

There's just not a lot of pieces to a project like this but, I will try to get some progress pics in the morning before they get up so I can show them here..  They're leaving on Wednesday so, I can get back to my normal process..

Got up early this morning to grab some pics of our progress so far..

These are the 2 side panels.  They are book matched and glued up..  We'll be cutting them out today along with the legs.

IMG_1509.thumb.jpeg.740d99098d75836cdd06ced7626f7dcf.jpeg

And, this the the leg blanks all glued up as well.  I had one small spot that needed some epoxy.  

After all this stuff is cut and shaped, we'll start the joinery to the side rails.  We did initial milling on that stock 2 days ago so, it's good to go.

• Like 1

More good progress today!

We created all the slats for the side rails.  I used Sketchup to help determine the proper spacing based on the actual dimensions from the piece.  These were all milled to 1/2" and rounded over on each edge.  Although this picture is a dry fit, this is exactly how the actual glue up looked..  Dominos for the joinery.  The pictures don't do the maple justice but, it is absolutely amazing!  Thanks @Spanky

IMG_1512.thumb.jpeg.fb95d2f9a43177c4c029b218d62a85b9.jpeg

After softening the edges on the panels, we went ahead and glued the cradle portion up.  We made a small error and forgot to locate/drill for the dowel first but, that can still be done by hand.  Still lots of sanding to do as well as finish up the floor.  Then it's off to finish up the legs and stretcher to get this to finish.

IMG_1513.thumb.jpeg.c50281e4f829722b1c9fdddb8ecaaf61.jpeg

IMG_1514.thumb.jpeg.20ee08f7cbb478b0f8650b2577b9ebb5.jpeg

• Like 2

Nothing on this project today..  Our company has departed and I've only got about a week left before I leave for work.  I need to get a lot done including this cradle.  I spent the day wiping other stuff off of my list to free up some time to finish this..  I did get it out of clamps but, that's about it..

Been a crazy couple days!  I'll start with the cradle...

The bottom is in and some of the sanding has started..  Still lots to do..

IMG_1521.thumb.jpeg.537c4bb1c98b68b26e3080e7227c639d.jpeg

I also had a couple local clients hit me up for some "quick" projects..  

The first one started as a phone call from my hardwood dealer asking me if I could resaw a piece of Alder for someone.  Should have been a quick job but, no!  Come to find out, the dealer sold her Alder and she wanted it to look like Walnut..  Long story short, I gave her the best education I could, told her "Merry Christmas" and laminated some walnut I had on hand for her project and still resawed her Alder.  I also stabalized the knots that were in the alder..  That's her "keeper piece on the router table..  It had a small knot to stabilize as well..

IMG_1520.thumb.jpeg.c053b18e3908e091e639a2a5d97e8ebb.jpeg

And, of course,  I got hit up to mount some deer horns that were improperly removed..  I still need to apply an edge treatment to the oval and secure them permanently with epoxy but, this one's close to being done..  I wouldn't have taken this job except is was a little girl's first deer and it hit a soft spot in my heart.

IMG_1519.thumb.jpeg.3f2a9cb6ab40d19fbba99bedee548f53.jpeg

I'll finish up these two "last minute" projects tomorrow and then get back to the cradle..  Currently stabilizing a knot in the stretcher so, all the epoxy work today worked out ok on that front..

Merry Christmas to all!

How did you attach the bottom? I didn’t see any rabbets on the bottom of any of the pieces.

Is it solid walnut?

What was the width of the alder as it looks pretty wide. Sounds like your hw dealer could be sending you some projects! Good that you have a good rapport with the guy👍

Good on you for taking care of the lady!!!

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

How did you attach the bottom? I didn’t see any rabbets on the bottom of any of the pieces.

Is it solid walnut?

What was the width of the alder as it looks pretty wide. Sounds like your hw dealer could be sending you some projects! Good that you have a good rapport with the guy👍

Good on you for taking care of the lady!!!

The bottom was rabbeted on the ends with some cleats attached to the cradle.  The sides are on an 8.5 degree angle so, couldn't fall through anyway.

The alder was about 11.5" wide but, the new band saw made short work of it..

The HW dealer missed their opportunity for an upsale!  They could have sold her walnut in the proper thickness she wanted but, sold her alder instead.  

• Like 1

Just now, Coop said:

Do you use a stock fence or did you add to it? 

The laguna's have a unique fence system.  You can run them low profile or flip them upright for resawing.  They work off a T-Track set up on the base.  So, you get the best of both worlds.

My Grizz has a 9” clearance with the riser and I have a 6” detachable fence. With a 1/2” TimberWolf blade, I has gotten great results on 6” or so stock. Wider than that, it tends to wander a bit so I don’t push it. As I have a 6” jointer, I accept the fact that all of my pieces will be 6” or less. 

5 minutes ago, Coop said:

My Grizz has a 9” clearance with the riser and I have a 6” detachable fence. With a 1/2” TimberWolf blade, I has gotten great results on 6” or so stock. Wider than that, it tends to wander a bit so I don’t push it. As I have a 6” jointer, I accept the fact that all of my pieces will be 6” or less. 

That's closer to my 14" Laguna but, I think I still have a little more resaw ability.  Both of my machines are also on 220 and that extra power pays off when resawing.  

I loved my Grizz bandsaw!  I'm just setting up for my retirement..

I have seen some videos where they use some sort of pin and use it to follow a drawn line on the edge of a board. It reminds me of trying to follow a line, using a scroll saw or a bandsaw. If I had to resort to that, I would definitely purchase a better machine. Sorry to hj your thread! 

4 minutes ago, Coop said:

I have seen some videos where they use some sort of pin and use it to follow a drawn line on the edge of a board. It reminds me of trying to follow a line, using a scroll saw or a bandsaw. If I had to resort to that, I would definitely purchase a better machine. Sorry to hj your thread! 

No worries, it's all about the discussions..  

When I cut the alder, I set the fence and noticed a little drift but, I think it was because I didn't flatten and create a square edge first.  What started at 1 7/8" ended at a little under 3/4" each so, not too bad.

• Thanks 1

Finished up the 2 outside projects this morning so that I could focus on the cradle..  Thought I'd toss you guys the pictures..

First, the mantle..  Really just a board that they want to set on top of their existing mantle cut to their dimensions..  3 coats of ARS only.

IMG_1523.thumb.jpeg.6eb5853adf8806854dbc59f217dcdbbc.jpeg

And the deer horns..  To be honest, this is the first time I've ever done a mount and I thought they came out pretty cool.  

IMG_1524.thumb.jpeg.0f71493720007826be8eaa235525699d.jpeg