Title of the document

Reindeer

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Kev

Christmas is sneaking up on us quickly!  Thought I'd get a jump on the game today and bang out a dozen reindeer..  Thanks Mel for the templates!

IMG_0583.jpg

Follow up posts

1) Nice herd! It may be sneaking up on us, but still way to early for Christmas talk.

2) In my local stores, I absolutely agree!  Handmade gifts take a little longer tho..

3) I was planning to make some more reindeer for Christmas this year but my heart and mind isn't very motivated to make anything right now. Your reindeer look great!

4) I definitely found a few tricks to speed up the process which helped!  Down to about 13 minutes per..

5) That's pretty fast. I've never timed mine. I'd like to make some large ones but I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

6) There were a couple tricks that really helped!

1.  Using a forstner bit between the legs and horns.
2.  Sanding at the spindle sander after cutting the side profile and before cutting the front profile.
3.  Dipping for the finish rather than applying by hand.

7) Thank you, Kev. Great ideas. I've used the forstner bit and it is a time saver. I've not thought of sanding after only cutting the side profile. No drip problems with the dipping method?

8) I did not have any drip issues with the dip method - ARS.  I did set them on a piece of scrap for about an hour and then wipe off a couple heavy spots - mostly on the nose.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus