Title of the document

Just a Small Box

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by Chet

I made this for my niece's new baby boy out of Wenge and Oak.  I wanted to do something a little different for the lid handle... his name is Noah.

IMG_1667.jpg

IMG_1669.jpg

Follow up posts

1) Nicely done Chet! Looking at the pictures before reading made the handle look weird, after reading, makes it a great touch!

2) Looks really cool! Any concerns with the grain direction on the handle?

3) Yes, there is some concern but cutting it with the grain the other direction just looked like I didn't care. It is put on with dowels and I can get it off fairly easily with a flush cut saw, don't ask how I know this.    It's not a high use item. I have been doing this for a while for new family babies. It comes with a little note saying that this is for storing "firsts" in the baby's life. Hospital bracelet when they come home, lock of hair from first hair cut, candle from first birthday cake, Bandaid from first scraped knee, first report card, first BAD report card, key to their first car along with first speeding ticket and so on.

4) That's awesome Chet!

5) By the way Kev, this is still some of that big 8/4 chunk you left behind and I still have a piece that is 5 inches wide and 6 feet long. I really think you over bought for that leg assembly on that live edge table. 

6) lol..  As much as I played in your shop Chet, it was absolutely my pleasure!

7) great looking box and awesome idea there!

8) Chet, really nice build . I wish I had thought of that when my twin grandkids were born. Was the handle cut with a cnc?

9) I cut the handle on my bandsaw then refined it with my modeler's rasp, Dremel tool and sand paper. I kind of laughed at myself for spending over two hours on an "N".

10) It couldn’t have come out more perfect!

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus