Title of the document

Christmas Reindeer

Chet

Submitted on the old forum by keggers

I have all of my reindeer made and sanded. Finish will be applied later today or tomorrow. I'm running out of time. I made them using walnut and cherry.

I had a hard time finish sanding them since I have arthritis in my thumbs but remembered this morning that I have a sanding mop attachment for the drill press. That made the whole process easy as can be. I did launch the first one through the air so it's true - reindeer really do know how to fly!

I'll try to get another picture after the finish is applied.

1.jpg

Follow up posts

1) Now that's a herd! Looking awesome!

2) Thanks, Kev.

3) Yep, you have raised yourself a fine looking herd.

4) Nice work!

5) Great job keggers! Where’s the lonely doe?

6) Thanks! I think the doe is behind Santa's sleigh with Rudolph!

I just finished putting the final coat of finish on the reindeer. I made a mistake and used water based finish and of course it raised the grain. So, I had to hand sand each of the reindeer after all after the first coat. Hopefully, the grain will behave with the second coat because I don't think my poor thumbs can take much more sanding.

7) I did the same on mine this year..  Was a PITA but, lesson learned!

8) those are great looking? How long did it take to cut/sand and finish those?

One day I want to try these ... just not today haha

9) I don't really know how long each one took me. It was a week long project that I worked on when I could. The sawing part doesn't take long at all - it's the sanding part that takes up your time. I used a spindle sander, belt sander, sanding mop, and hand sanding to get each one where I wanted. I sanded to 180 grit and then applied the finish - which raised the grain - and then lightly sanded with 400 grit between coats, making each one silky smooth. 

Just a short follow up to the reindeer project. Everyone who received them really liked them. It's a simple project that is much appreciated by all who got them as gifts.

10) That's awesome!  I put a red thumb tack in the nose of a couple this year and that was a big hit too!  You can pick up the round ones at Walmart, they work the best.

11) I asked my wife if she wanted me to put a red nose on one of hers but she didn't want it. So......no red nose. My daughters said they were glad that they received reindeer as presents because they planned to steal their mother's. Peace was kept at my house.

12) Works well as you add to people's collection.. Tosses a little "twist" into the herd.

"Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not;  remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for." - Epicurus